Unintended photos keep being taken due to just holding the phone

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 06:58 PM
    Set it to something other than camera...
    12-11-14 06:59 PM
    Or just set it to do nothing.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    12-15-14 03:30 PM
    On BB10 you can't turn it off. Just make sure you turn the screen off with the power button at the top of the phone when you're not using it.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    12-15-14 04:31 PM
    On BB10 you can't turn it off. Just make sure you turn the screen off with the power button at the top of the phone when you're not using it.

JB

Okay. Wait. Which BlackBerry10 device has a convenience key now?

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 04:43 PM
    Set it to something other than camera...
    Hi again, thanks to u both--searched all thru "help" App but cannot find info on exactly HOW to modify the convenience key on the right side of the device (camera setting g modifications only include camera settings for. The camera taking itself such as exposures, etc, not info about modifying what that actual button on the right side of the device does.
    I guess I will have to make time to watch all the help videos. Such as all about the camera, the "set up your device" and other help videos, maybe my answer is in one of those videos, and I was just looking g for some written instructions on how it modify what this camera " convenience key" does, but my many searches in the help app under any variations of this phrase or parts of it : "modify camera convenience key" or any other search to find this information in have tried to do not give me the instructions on the steps to take re: HOW to set this specific key to do something g else or to do nothing....If anyone just happens to know and can give me the actual steps to modify this key, I would be grateful for info, sorry to be so kind of "touch screen device-challenged".

ALSO. If anyone knows about what is happening in the above text I wrote, (where u left the error/ extra "g" in the text so u can see what happens and if anyone knows is this that "double typing" issue I have read about (a problem on some devices) or is this simply "operator error" ( me making a "touch screen typing" error of maybe holding down the "g" key too long? Or something else someone can diagnose? And why does this double letter typo only happen with one device with the "g" letter and not any other letter? I just got a insurance replacement REFURB device from Asurian and I do t remember having this (seemingly intermittent) double "g" typo problem like this on my prior (non-refurb/BNIB) Z30 that was replaced with a refurbished Z30 when I dropped it and shattered the screen). So MY QUESTION IS: does this extra "g" that appears ( I think only intermittently, but not really sure) does this look like "operator error on my part holding down key too long or some other typo on my part. Or is it actually the "double typing" problem on some devices that I have heard about/ read about elsewhere on CB forums? Can anyone tell by looking at what I just typed above. On lines: 3 and line 13 or line 14? Cuz if so, I need to make a warranty claim on this refurbished device before my 90 day warranty is up on the refurb Replacement
    12-15-14 05:36 PM
    Hi again, thanks to u both--searched all thru "help" App but cannot find info on exactly HOW to modify the convenience key on the right side of the device (camera setting g modifications only include camera settings for. The camera taking itself such as exposures, etc, not info about modifying what that actual button on the right side of the device does.
    I guess I will have to make time to watch all the help videos. Such as all about the camera, the "set up your device" and other help videos, maybe my answer is in one of those videos, and I was just looking g for some written instructions on how it modify what this camera " convenience key" does, but my many searches in the help app under any variations of this phrase or parts of it : "modify camera convenience key" or any other search to find this information in have tried to do not give me the instructions on the steps to take re: HOW to set this specific key to do something g else or to do nothing....If anyone just happens to know and can give me the actual steps to modify this key, I would be grateful for info, sorry to be so kind of "touch screen device-challenged".

ALSO. If anyone knows about what is happening in the above text I wrote, (where u left the error/ extra "g" in the text so u can see what happens and if anyone knows is this that "double typing" issue I have read about (a problem on some devices) or is this simply "operator error" ( me making a "touch screen typing" error of maybe holding down the "g" key too long? Or something else someone can diagnose? And why does this double letter typo only happen with one device with the "g" letter and not any other letter? I just got a insurance replacement REFURB device from Asurian and I do t remember having this (seemingly intermittent) double "g" typo problem like this on my prior (non-refurb/BNIB) Z30 that was replaced with a refurbished Z30 when I dropped it and shattered the screen). So MY QUESTION IS: does this extra "g" that appears ( I think only intermittently, but not really sure) does this look like "operator error on my part holding down key too long or some other typo on my part. Or is it actually the "double typing" problem on some devices that I have heard about/ read about elsewhere on CB forums? Can anyone tell by looking at what I just typed above. On lines: 3 and line 13 or line 14? Cuz if so, I need to make a warranty claim on this refurbished device before my 90 day warranty is up on the refurb Replacement
    Well before we go any further, which device are you having the convenience key issues with. You mentioned the Z30, but there's no convenience key on that one.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    12-15-14 06:28 PM
    Okay. Wait. Which BlackBerry10 device has a convenience key now?

Posted via CB10
    I deduced the OP was using BB10 by the fact that he posted via CB10. I then made the logical leap that when the OP said "camera convenience key" he actually meant the camera icon at the bottom right of the screen.

JB

Judyam likes this.
    12-15-14 07:10 PM
    IiOkay I assumed it was called a convenience key, bu t maybe it s not called that -probably called the "camera key"?????it is a Z30. It's in on through side between the volume keys right where my hand naturally grasps the phone (and keeps taking unintended pic of feet, street, sky, chin) and I know I could just keep the phone turned off to prevent, but sometimes my phone is on for some other reason and I end up I the camera app by mistake, maybe I'm missing something but seems like a poor place to put the button to launch the camera right where any normal person would be grasping the phone to hold .
    12-15-14 08:11 PM
    No, not camera icon, the key between volume keys on right side of z39 if u are looking at display. Sorry I wasn't more specific for info about model #, OS 10. 2.1.3289 on vzn, thanks, Judy (op)
    12-15-14 08:15 PM
    That key between the volume buttons is the mute key. It also turns on voice control with a long press. However, the volume keys also act as the shutter keys to let you take pictures instead of tapping the screen when you have the camera open. What is probably happening is what lordcrankypants suggested. You have inadvertently tapped the camera icon and then while holding the phone, you touch the volume button, which takes the picture. The touch screen is pretty sensitive so you have to be careful with what you are doing.

Judyam likes this.
    12-15-14 08:23 PM

OK thanks for that info, which solves several issues I have been experiencing (unintended muting on calls, camera opening, camera shooting a pic). I have to get used touchscreen sensitivity and to keys having loyal functions and learn more about the device...Dang, I guess I am gonna have to set aside some time to watch all those darn help/instructional videos after all. I've never been a "read the whole manual" person..more of a look it up as need to know type (after just jumping in) really appreciate the responses it helped me a finally figure out what my actual problem is and that is is ME lol. Any suggestions about the second question after the ALSO: ? I should post it as a separate question, but since it happened twice or three times right here while I'm posting about my camera question, just thought since the problem was visible in the a above camera question I might ask you BB wizards if it looks like that double typing issue or just something g I'm doing on the touch keyboard, but it is ONLY happening when typing the "g" at the end of a word
    Just happened in next to last line above: "something g I'm doing"

As in: "just looking g for "
    Or:
    "camera setting g modifications"
    12-15-14 08:51 PM
    I deduced the OP was using BB10 by the fact that he posted via CB10. I then made the logical leap that when the OP said "camera convenience key" he actually meant the camera icon at the bottom right of the screen.

JB

Damn you're smart. Us dullards assumed he was using a legacy device.

Judyam likes this.
    12-16-14 12:16 AM
    OP, the double typing issue only affected physical keyboard phones, most notably the Q10. Even with a physical kb, I sometimes have a problem with the keys situated toward the middle of the keyboard where I inadvertantly long press the letter and end up with a capital letter in the middle of a word. I also sometimes double press. I think your problem with the G key may be different as it's only happening with one letter. It may be a faulty unit, or it may be something to do with the autocorrect. If you type slowly and the problem occurs again, try to discern whether it's the action of pressing G or the action of pressing the space bar that results in the extra G. I suspect it may be the spacebar.

Judyam likes this.
    12-16-14 12:25 AM
    IiOkay I assumed it was called a convenience key, bu t maybe it s not called that -probably called the "camera key"?????it is a Z30. It's in on through side between the volume keys right where my hand naturally grasps the phone (and keeps taking unintended pic of feet, street, sky, chin) and I know I could just keep the phone turned off to prevent, but sometimes my phone is on for some other reason and I end up I the camera app by mistake, maybe I'm missing something but seems like a poor place to put the button to launch the camera right where any normal person would be grasping the phone to hold .
    That button doesn't launch the camera, it launches Voice Control. It will however, operate the camera shutter once the camera app is open. Try disabling 'swipe to wake' that should prevent the lock screen being displayed when it's in standby.

Judyam likes this.
    12-16-14 12:29 AM
    OP: a couple of things.
    1). At the bottom right of the phone is the camera icon. When you are hitting the top button to turn off the screen or you are putting your phone down. Try to notice if one of your fingers are close to the camera icon. if so you are probably opening the camera app just as you turn off the phone or put it away. Then when you hit the volume up key you take a picture.
    2). The g key is in the center of the keyboard is that where your rest your thumb or finger when typing. I bet you are too close to the letter when typing and it registers on the touch screen.

Posted from my awesome Q10
    Judyam likes this.
    12-16-14 08:57 AM
    OP, the double typing issue only affected physical keyboard phones, most notably the Q10. Even with a physical kb, I sometimes have a problem with the keys situated toward the middle of the keyboard where I inadvertantly long press the letter and end up with a capital letter in the middle of a word. I also sometimes double press. I think your problem with the G key may be different as it's only happening with one letter. It may be a faulty unit, or it may be something to do with the autocorrect. If you type slowly and the problem occurs again, try to discern whether it's the action of pressing G or the action of pressing the space bar that results in the extra G. I suspect it may be the spacebar.

You may be right about the auto correct or it could be an unintended entry in the personal dictionary or perhaps that G was a learned "word" that the keyboard recognized or perhaps the g shows up on or even just above the space bar and gets tapped or swiped inadvertently.

Judyam likes this.
    12-16-14 02:28 PM

‎THANK*u all, so much for these instructions, suggestions, and clarifications about the device operations, functions (and *dual functions) of certain keys, and especially the last 2 posts, Tex3523 and misterabusive, for giving me direction about exactly where to start looking to monitor just what I may be doing unintentionally to cause the issues I'm having.‎‎
    ..definitely info I need to check - (to monitor what *unintended screen gestures or key presses that I may be employing, unintentionally causing unintended functions, etc.)‎..And because I was not clear on some device operations and functions (and dual functions) of some key presses, and also the suggestions regarding several possible causes of that extra "g" typing, (which has happened right here as I'm typing this reply post-- need to find a way to watch carefully just what my own hand may be also doing to cause that extra "g" ...it happens so fast that I can't tell yet, but perhaps it IS in the learned list of prediction / spell check‎ words:....I did l look in settings to see if it learned words list c/b edited and did not see that option, only the option to delete all learned words.. is there am "edit learned words list" I'm going to keep searching for this but does anyone know if there is a method of some other way than to delete the entire list of learned words so far?*

Your help and direction about where to start looking at what I may be doing to cause these unintended actions is much appreciated; I am now sure that it is ME that is causing them. ...didn't know how to figure out where to start to figure what unintended actions I might be doing.. there is so much to learn about this awesome but sensitive and wonderfully complicated *device, and I learned several things from your all of the replies here,that I previously didn't realize or hadn't learned yet, or hadn't considered that *I might be doing incorrectly‎.*Thanks again
    tex3523 likes this.
    12-16-14 08:34 PM