'BBM � The new BlackBerry 9720 smartphone features a dedicated BBM� key that makes it quick and convenient to access the globally popular mobile social network, and with its BlackBerry Keyboard, messaging your BBM friends is easy and accurate. It also includes BBM Voice, which lets you chat over Wi-Fi� for free.* The latest version of BBM, which features BBM Channels, will also soon be available for download on the BlackBerry� World� storefront, letting you tune in and connect with the businesses, brands, celebrities and groups you are passionate about.'

This simply isn't true. You can't connect to Wi-Fi for free at all. I've tried it with SIM cards from both Vodaphone and Orange and neither of them allow it, though with Viber it's fine. BBM is supposed to load but will not do so as it says I'm not connected to Wi-Fi (though I am).

Anyone know how to get around this? How I wish I had never bought this dreadful cellphone - I only wanted it in order to connect to friends abroad with WeChat. (Viber has been blocked in China).
    12-28-14 04:58 PM
    You can chat via BBM voice with friends on Wi-Fi for free, but it's a BBOS phone, so you need a BlackBerry data plan to connect to BIS.
    12-28-14 05:30 PM
    Should've bought a basic Android phone for that.

Not sure if we chat is available for BB10 devices.

Posted from an ME173X
    12-28-14 05:47 PM
    Have you looked at the text that the asterisk is referring to?

* For BBM Voice calls, both parties require a BlackBerry� 5 OS or higher or BlackBerry 10 smartphone, a data plan that supports BlackBerry services and a Wi-Fi connection. Please check with your service provider for availability and restrictions.

Same goes for chatting on bbm. Actually, bbm registration in itself requires a BIS plan, so it is kinda poorly written imo.

Posted via CB10
    raino and Soul_Est like this.
    12-28-14 06:41 PM