I got a Lumia 950 in trade a few months ago. The seller said it was unlocked from AT&T. It works fine for me as I am on AT&T, but, if I decide to sell or trade it, I want to be sure it is actually unlocked so I can advertise it as such. (might consider trade for Priv in the future).
    Thanks

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>
    05-30-16 09:55 AM
    I wonder if a T-Mobile store would do that for me.
    If you don't have to go out of your way to find a store, it wouldn't hurt to try.

If you're in no hurry, TMO also has relatively frequent sales on prepaid SIM cards where they discount them to $1 shipped, from their regular price of $20.

Third option is eBay. Order an Ultra Mobile SIM for $0.01-$1 and try it. They are a TMO MVNO.
    Go to www.imei.info and click check IMEI. Enter your device imei number.
    It will tell you if your device is locked to a carrier or unlocked

Z30
    05-30-16 10:08 AM

Z30
    Thanks. Will try that

05-30-16 12:34 PM
    Couldn't register or log in. Will try again later thanks. It has all my phone info, but won't tell me if it is unlocked or not without registering.

05-30-16 01:39 PM
    Get or borrow a T-Mobile SIM. If it's read, the phone is unlocked.
    05-31-16 07:41 AM
    This site only gives you the initial SIM lock status, right? Or does it even show unlocked when a locked phone is unlocked (by a code or whatever?)
    05-31-16 07:44 AM
    Get or borrow a T-Mobile SIM. If it's read, the phone is unlocked.
    I wonder if a T-Mobile store would do that for me. It has to be a nano SIM. Don't know if any friends have one.

05-31-16 08:05 AM
    I wonder if a T-Mobile store would do that for me.
    If you don't have to go out of your way to find a store, it wouldn't hurt to try.

If you're in no hurry, TMO also has relatively frequent sales on prepaid SIM cards where they discount them to $1 shipped, from their regular price of $20.

Third option is eBay. Order an Ultra Mobile SIM for $0.01-$1 and try it. They are a TMO MVNO.
    05-31-16 08:16 AM

I didn't know you could do that!! Good idea!!

05-31-16 09:42 AM
    This site only gives you the initial SIM lock status, right? Or does it even show unlocked when a locked phone is unlocked (by a code or whatever?)
    Now that you mentioned it, I just checked and it doesn't.
    I could swear I had seen my phone's unlock status using this site a few months back.

Z30
    05-31-16 11:16 AM
    OK, I have found several inexpensive Nano SIM cards.
    My question now is, if I buy one, do I have to activate it in order to find out if my phone is unlocked, or will it tell me as soon as I put it in?
    Thanks

05-31-16 07:24 PM
    My question now is, if I buy one, do I have to activate it in order to find out if my phone is unlocked, or will it tell me as soon as I put it in?
    Thanks
    I think it will at least associate with the network, if not let you do anything else. If the phone isn't unlocked, you'll see SOS (or something like that) for your signal. If the SIM is recognized, you should see T-Mobile for the network.

Also, keep in mind that your phone would need to have the proper TMO bands (GSM 1900, UMTS 1700, 1900, LTE 2, 4, 12) for your area, otherwise your experiment could result in a false negative if the phone can't associate with a TMO network that is there.
    05-31-16 08:41 PM
    I think it will at least associate with the network, if not let you do anything else. If the phone isn't unlocked, you'll see SOS (or something like that) for your signal. If the SIM is recognized, you should see T-Mobile for the network.

Also, keep in mind that your phone would need to have the proper TMO bands (GSM 1900, UMTS 1700, 1900, LTE 2, 4, 12) for your area, otherwise your experiment could result in a false negative if the phone can't associate with a TMO network that is there.
    Thanks. I ordered one on Ebay for $1.99. The seller said if the phone is locked it should ask for an unlock code when I insert it. If not, I should be good to go.

06-01-16 07:44 AM
    The seller said if the phone is locked it should ask for an unlock code when I insert it. If not, I should be good to go.
    Sounds reasonable.

Edit: BTW, I'm really impressed by the lengths you're going to, just to make sure the future owner of your phone has a smooth experience. If I were that buyer, I sure would appreciate this, and if I was the seller (i.e. in your shoes,) frankly, I'm not sure I'd be doing anything more than relying on the word of the person who sold the phone to me.
    Last edited by raino; 06-01-16 at 08:55 AM.
    06-01-16 08:32 AM
    Sounds reasonable.

Edit: BTW, I'm really impressed by the lengths you're going to, just to make sure the future owner of your phone has a smooth experience. If I were that buyer, I sure would appreciate this, and if I was the seller (i.e. in your shoes,) frankly, I'm not sure I'd be doing anything more than relying on the word of the person who sold the phone to me.
    Thanks Raino. The T-Mobile SIM card arrived today, stuck it on my phone, and it immediately picked up cellular signal. So I guess it's unlocked!! Seller was reliable :-)

raino likes this.
    06-03-16 04:05 PM
    A really easy way also would to just find a friend who has the same size SIM card and swap it in to see if it works...
    06-03-16 04:30 PM
    A really easy way also would to just find a friend who has the same size SIM card and swap it in to see if it works...
    I was thinking the same thing. Why not just borrow a friend's SIM card from another provider and pop it in and see.

Also, I thought you can also just check the settings within the Security and Privacy menu. That is, if you select SIM card in the Security and Privacy settings menu, doesn't it tell you? That is, you would usually see:

Network >>> unlocked
    Network subset >>> unlocked
    Service provider >>> unlocked

Doesn't that translate into "unlocked"? I thought that was the case, but I'm sure someone will correct me.

Sorry ... please ignore the latter part of this post. I just realized it was a non-BB10 device he was talking about. So sorry.
    06-03-16 05:32 PM

Yes, most carriers are happy to ship SIMs for a token contribution... :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-05-16 05:32 PM
    Most of my friends are either on AT&T or Verizon, so they couldn't help me. Plus most of them don't even know what a nano SIM is!! Or where it is!! LOL.
    $1.99 was cheap enough.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-16 08:57 PM
    I just figured something out that would have saved me some aggravation.
    When I checked all the settings on the Lumia to see if was unlocked, I didn't have a SIM for it. I put a SIM in, now it says "unlocked SIM".
    I learn something new every day. I'm having fun learning the Lumia, but it will never be as easy to use as my beloved Z30.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-16 11:05 PM