So I successfully unlocked my Storm 9530, working successfully with Straight Talk with an AT&T SIM card, but nowhere i looked can tell me how to get internet access and MMS service back and functioning. I'm working with OS 5.0.328(Platform 4.2.0.128) and basic call and text work, but i want to use the data for which I am playing extra for, please help!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Helmraking; 12-07-14 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Clarity in title
    12-07-14 12:34 AM
    This phone won't work with "regular" data plans; what you need is BIS, which not a lot of prepaid carriers offer. In absence of that, the best you could do is WiFi wherever available...and I'm not 100% sure even that'll work in absence of a BIS plan.
    12-07-14 12:37 AM
    BIS plan? forgive my ignorance, but what is that?
    12-07-14 12:39 AM
    It's the type of a data plan that older (pre-BB10) BlackBerrys required. Regular data plans (like the ones used by BB10, and, say, Android) don't work with such phones.

BIS stands for BlackBerry Internet Service.MMS I'm not sure whether it will work without a data plan either. But here are ST MMS settings that I found:

Name: STRAIGHT_TALK
    APN: wap.tracfone
    Proxy: 216.155.165.40
    Port: 8080
    MMSC: http://mms.tracfone
    MMS Proxy: 215.155.165.40
    MMS Port: 8080
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    12-07-14 12:46 AM
    okay, how can i change my MMS settings for that? By the way, HUGE help so far, thank you in advance SO MUCH
    12-07-14 12:56 AM
    Go to Options > Advanced Options > TCP/APN and see if you can enter the relevant settings in there. It may not work, because I'm reading here that you may need BIS even for MMS.
    Helmraking likes this.
    12-07-14 01:12 AM
    yeah it seems i have just APN settings and Authentication, cant change the others...thats a bummer
    12-07-14 01:36 AM
    Change whatever you can, and see if it makes a difference.
    12-07-14 09:53 AM
    you might check this out from straight talk - they offered the older BlackBerry phones a little while ago (like about a year ago) so they apparently have BIS available some way.

BlackBerry 9310 Tutorials

this shows it is possible... you might contact Straight Talk and work your way through their customer service (good luck with that - I have net10 - same company - and customer service is not good )
    12-08-14 10:28 PM
    Hold on guys... are the bands of the storm compatible with At&T? Cause it was essentially a CDMA phone and the GSM part was only for roaming oversea

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 10:53 PM
    Hold on guys... are the bands of the storm compatible with At&T? Cause it was essentially a CDMA phone and the GSM part was only for roaming oversea
    Well he's got call and text, which means at least 2G compatibility. And unfortunately that's all she wrote.
    12-08-14 11:11 PM
    I have the same problem with my new Q5, unlocked GMS, no previous carrier phone (Operating Software 10.2.1.3062).

Straight Talk customer service will not assist you if you call regarding a Blackberry. I later saw (at the end of the Q&A) on their website that Blackberry phones are not compatible with the BYOP Service; however, you have no way of knowing this because most of us tested our phone/Blackberry compatibility with Straight Talk using the IMEI numbers to check; we get a message saying our BB's ARE compatible. That is very misleading and wrong; ST need to add a disclosure that says only the phone and regular text will be compatible and NOT the data/MMS on BB's.

Anyway, I was at least able to get my new Q5 to have working internet and to receive MMS (I still can't send MMS) using a Straight Talk TMobile SIM Card.

First, I recommend changing the APN under the System Settings. Select Settings>Network Connections>Mobile Network>(select the icon shaped like a circled star)>APN = wap . tracfone (without the spaces/ I don't have enough posts to use links yet)>Leave all other fields blank and hit the save button in the upper right-hand corner
    ...Next... Select
    Blackberry Hub>Text Messages>(select the 3 vertical dots to get to settings)Settings>Text Messages>MMS>(select the icon with lines and dots to enter the APN and other info).

APN = wap . tracfone (without the spaces)
    MMSC URL = http : // mms . tracfone . com : 8080 (without the spaces)
    Leave all other fields blank and save by clicking the icon that looks like a folder.

I hope this works for others like it did me.

Now, if I can only figure out how to send MMS.
    01-11-15 02:40 PM