There use to be a video store on the playbook that I used but that is now gone. I do a lot of travel so I would watch the movies on the plane. Any ideas?
    10-27-14 09:44 AM
    There isn't an easy answer for you unfortunately. Some options:

1) Download then copy to your Playbook over USB or wifi. This is what I do, but it requires you to break DRM on your movie purchases, or to torrent/download them without paying. It also might require transcoding because a lot of video comes with AC3 sound and the Playbook (and many phones/tablets) won't play.

2) Find a video store that runs on Flash and watch your movies from the browser. Maybe Amazon's video store could work this way, but I've never tried it. SInce you can watch Youtube on the Playbook, I would bet that Youtube's movie store works. I don't know if Youtube allows you to cache your movies on the device or whether you have to stream the whole time.

3) Find a replacement video store in BlackBerry World. I don't have my Playbook with me to check but this might be possible. When BlackBerry discontinued the music store within BlackBerry World, they allowed the supplier (7Digital) to put their own app into BlackBerry World which you could download separately. They might have done something similar with movies, but I can't remember offhand who the supplier for the video store used to be.
    *cough* torrent *cough*
    10-27-14 09:53 AM
    There isn't an easy answer for you unfortunately. Some options:

1) Download then copy to your Playbook over USB or wifi. This is what I do, but it requires you to break DRM on your movie purchases, or to torrent/download them without paying. It also might require transcoding because a lot of video comes with AC3 sound and the Playbook (and many phones/tablets) won't play.

2) Find a video store that runs on Flash and watch your movies from the browser. Maybe Amazon's video store could work this way, but I've never tried it. SInce you can watch Youtube on the Playbook, I would bet that Youtube's movie store works. I don't know if Youtube allows you to cache your movies on the device or whether you have to stream the whole time.

3) Find a replacement video store in BlackBerry World. I don't have my Playbook with me to check but this might be possible. When BlackBerry discontinued the music store within BlackBerry World, they allowed the supplier (7Digital) to put their own app into BlackBerry World which you could download separately. They might have done something similar with movies, but I can't remember offhand who the supplier for the video store used to be.
    10-27-14 10:51 AM
    Movies on the PlayBook and BlackBerry World used to be supplied by a company called Rovi. On the PlayBook, the movies were accessed via an app called Video Store that had a separate login for Rovi. On BB10 (powering your Passport), movies were accessed via BlackBerry World using the same BBID that you would use to access other BlackBerry services. You can still access movies from Rovi on the PlayBook as before. BlackBerry World, however, no longer has a Movies section. Due to separate logins, movies that you've purchased on the PlayBook do not work on the Passport.

Your best bet is to buy movies (DVD, Blu-Ray, etc.), rip a copy via a desktop program like Handbrake, and copy it to your PlayBook and Passport via USB (faster than wi-fi). Another option is to buy DRM-free movies, if you can actually find any.

Unlike 7Digital, Rovi hasn't made an app for BB10 to access their movie library.
    10-27-14 11:41 AM