So when I transferred my personal data from my Bold to my Z30, Link didn't transfer my SMS. I'd like to take another shot at saving them, er, for posterity. Can anyone tell me how best to do this?

Googleing a little bit results in a quite a few convoluted ways of accomplishing this. The most straightforward way appears to use Desktop Manager to create a back-up and then use MagicBerry to extract the sms files from there (though not sure whether it includes dates, which would be kinda nice).
    But before I go ahead and install those programs and find out what happens, I thought I'd check with the CB nation which hopefully has a few members who still remember this stuff from way back when.

(I also have BB Protect installed on the device, but no idea if you can export the data from a Protect back-up.)

The phone runs BBOS 5.x.

Thanks for your input. I'd appreciate it.
    08-24-15 02:43 PM
    You might have to find an app that is on both devices and see it you can back up on to your s/d then do a restore on the new device.
    SirQ likes this.
    08-24-15 02:56 PM
    08-24-15 02:59 PM
    How to switch from a BlackBerry 7 device to BlackBerry 10 device using a media card | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog
    Thanks. That would have been nice. It only works BBOS7 and higher though. My ol' Bold is stuck on 5.something.
    Any other ideas?
    08-25-15 10:02 AM
    You might have to find an app that is on both devices and see it you can back up on to your s/d then do a restore on the new device.
    Thanks. What kind of app were you thinking off, though?
    One of the problems is apparently that back-up apps don't have access to stored text messages on BBOS. They can only 'catch' incoming new ones and archive, export or forward them then.
    08-25-15 10:03 AM
    Thanks. What kind of app were you thinking off, though?
    One of the problems is apparently that back-up apps don't have access to stored text messages on BBOS. They can only 'catch' incoming new ones and archive, export or forward them then.
    Sorry I'm not sure, I don't keep my text msg's if there important I just screen shot.

Poorly written on my SE Passport. PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2339
    08-25-15 10:31 AM
    Alright so I went ahead and tried to the not-so-convoluted way by (re-installing and) having BB Desktop Manager create a back-up file for my SMS messages. I then installed and ran MagicBerry which seemingly couldn't handle the bbb file. I then Googled again and came across some advice by the Resident Expert J Sanders (who's been in residence for too long, apparently) who linked to work by Mike West, who wrote some Excel macro's to 1) convert bbb files to ipd and 2) to extract the data from an ipd file. And that worked! So now I have my messages in an xls file (including date and phone number).
    So, for, er, "posterity's sake", that's good enough .
    08-25-15 01:07 PM