Hello!

I have been playing with ideas for a while and today I got my hands on a second PC that i am wishing to turn it into a server,

I wish to create a private Cloud and sync space, plus a home VPN (my free amazon subscription will end in 5 months).

I found interesting the SoftEther VPN Project https://www.softether.org/ mainly because it's free and secondary it mentions a few protocols OpenVPN does not support that i recognise from this Amazon setup http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...30-q10-862588/

Attachment 288387

I am planning to connect to this network mainly my Z10, a Cyanogen phone (and possibly another Android and a Windows Phone)

Can anyone point me into the right direction?

Which OS should I install?

Most secure and easy setup?

(i was first that i could use a raspberry for this project, but a pc is much more interesting)

Thank you!
    08-01-14 05:47 PM
    Linux Mint has pretty good driver support, and it's built specifically for serving content.

If I didn't want to buy a Windows license this would be my first choice...

Download - Linux Mint
    08-01-14 06:09 PM
    Mint 17 FTW for what you want to do
    08-01-14 06:23 PM
    Hello!

I have been playing with ideas for a while and today I got my hands on a second PC that i am wishing to turn it into a server,

I wish to create a private Cloud and sync space, plus a home VPN (my free amazon subscription will end in 5 months).

I found interesting the SoftEther VPN Project https://www.softether.org/ mainly because it's free and secondary it mentions a few protocols OpenVPN does not support that i recognise from this Amazon setup http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...30-q10-862588/

Attachment 288387

I am planning to connect to this network mainly my Z10, a Cyanogen phone (and possibly another Android and a Windows Phone)

Can anyone point me into the right direction?

Which OS should I install?

Most secure and easy setup?

(i was first that i could use a raspberry for this project, but a pc is much more interesting)

Thank you!
    Softether didn't support IKEv2 last I checked.

VPN Protocols Supported by SoftEther VPN Server
    SoftEther VPN Protocol (Ethernet over HTTPS)
    OpenVPN (L3-mode and L2-mode)
    L2TP/IPsec
    MS-SSTP (Microsoft Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol)
    L2TPv3/IPsec
    EtherIP/IPsec
    But you could install centos and use the script from the Amazon VPN forum on your home machine.
    08-01-14 08:49 PM
    Softether didn't support IKEv2 last I checked.
    But you could install centos and use the script from the Amazon VPN forum on your home machine.
    But I cannot have any other protocol that they support let's say.... IPsec?

I am trying to connect other devices to the same VPN so... i'm not even sure that i can use IKEv2, last time i checked the same settings from my amazon VPN on my Win Phone 8.1 i simply killed it's internet connection.

I am still amazed that running 10.3 Blackberry still has not resolved this VPN compatibility issue...

So... the only way i can see this working is to have an CentOS virtual machine on the server and.... have 2 cascading VPNs,,,, and i hoped I can make it easy,,,

Here is the list of VPN Gateway types i can configure on my BBz10 running OS 10.3 and

ATTACH=CONFIG]288459[/ATTACH]

Home Server with Cloud and VPN for BB Z10, Cyanogen and WP8,-img_20140802_095937.png

Home Server with Cloud and VPN for BB Z10, Cyanogen and WP8,-img_20140802_102039.png

Can i use an Android app to 'trick it' to connect to other VPN protocols?

Or i will have to learn all lines of code on CentOS??? (really getting a headake thinking I need to have a cloud added there... )
    Attached Thumbnails Home Server with Cloud and VPN for BB Z10, Cyanogen and WP8,-img_20140802_102032.png  
    08-02-14 03:28 AM
    I am trying to connect other devices to the same VPN so... i'm not even sure that i can use IKEv2, last time i checked the same settings from my amazon VPN on my Win Phone 8.1 i simply killed it's internet connection.
    Did you setup a different user for the windows phone so they weren't both trying to use the same IP/user?
    08-02-14 04:38 AM
    Did you setup a different user for the windows phone so they weren't both trying to use the same IP/user?
    The ***** reply is: NO because there were not both using it at the same time... but it could be the cause )

Any way...

Can i run the StrongSwan on a Mint 17 or a more graphical version of linux? i'm into all that command line version (aka CentOS)

Actually i see that it can be done.
    http://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/strongswan
    Last edited by Serge Simon; 08-03-14 at 05:20 AM.
    08-02-14 08:12 AM