Hello, I have a not so simple question... I know some people will disagree with me, and maybe refuse to answer but that's ok.

I am visiting my stepfather and siblings, and he lets me use his wifi normally, but he is kinda bipolar, one minute ok, one minute not. My sim card's internet is weak, and I use my phone a lot, for business and urgent communication. I can't depend on his mood swings. He is always checking who is using the wifi and when he is in a not ok mood, he sees my phone and cuts me off, he doesn't have any skills really, just obsessive vigilance.
    Is there a way I can hide my phone so it doesn't show up when he checks who is using the internet or not?
    I'm using blackberry Z10, on 10.2.1
    Thank you a lot.
    10-07-14 06:08 PM
    no. your phone is going to show up on his table of clients. he can hide the SSID of his wifi from YOU, but I don't believe you can hide your phone on the network from HIM.

Hopefully someone can prove me wrong and give you directions and you will rest easier.
    10-07-14 06:21 PM
    Jaydee is right unfortunately for u.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 06:23 PM
    Have you tried renaming your phone to "Not using wifi"???

10-07-14 06:26 PM
    As Jaydee said, no.
    If he is tech savvy enough to be checking who is using his Internet, then there is little to nothing that you can do to hide while using his wifi. It's like asking how you can access the Internet through your ISP without your ISP knowing.
    Options like hacking his router or spoofing device addresses are unethical and may well not be technically feasible in your situation.

You could offer him a small cash sum for using it though, sorta as a sweetener. Alternatively, if any next door neighbours have wifi, you could ask them with a similar offer.
    10-07-14 06:33 PM
    Last time he saw me using it because of shared files... I now put my phone as not sharing anything. I am now, not visible in my mother's laptop, now I just gotta test it with him... but thank you all.
    10-08-14 10:58 AM
    Hello, I have a not so simple question... I know some people will disagree with me, and maybe refuse to answer but that's ok.

I am visiting my stepfather and siblings, and he lets me use his wifi normally, but he is kinda bipolar, one minute ok, one minute not. My sim card's internet is weak, and I use my phone a lot, for business and urgent communication. I can't depend on his mood swings. He is always checking who is using the wifi and when he is in a not ok mood, he sees my phone and cuts me off, he doesn't have any skills really, just obsessive vigilance.
    Is there a way I can hide my phone so it doesn't show up when he checks who is using the internet or not?
    I'm using blackberry Z10, on 10.2.1
    Thank you a lot.
    Hello Raven Mera. Unfortunately, there is no way to hide your phone because the phone has to request an IP address from the router which, if the phone has the right information when talking to the router, the router will assign it. That IP address is registered in the router along with your device name. I am assuming that you use the the wifi for calls as well as messages, correct? If you do not want to change your current mobile service provider, the only other thing I can think of is getting a hot spot from a service provider that has good coverage where your stepfather and siblings live. That way you can connect your phone to the mobile hot spot and do not have to rely on your brother's mood.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 11:11 AM
    He doesn't go into the network controls to see who is using. He uses the method of seeing who has shared files over network. I just tested it. I closed down all sharing options in my phone. He did not see me using it.
    10-08-14 02:04 PM