I am new to technology but have a real problem. I use Koodo Mobile (Canada) & T-Mobile (USA). I recently broke my BlackBerry Q10 and wanting to save some money, I purchased a brand new Rogers BlackBerry Z30 which came with all original packaging and an Otterbox Defender Series case. As a result, I was told I could use a 3rd party service to unlock. I have tried 4 services:

cellunlocker
    freemyblackberry
    quickphoneunlock
    Ebay Z30 unlocking

Each service was roughly $30 and all provided feedback "Code Not Found". I contacted Rogers who stated the IMEI number is not listed and since I'm not a Rogers customer, a friend who uses Rogers stated I could add it to his profile. Contacting Rogers, they said this was fine but I would need to wait 90 days at which point, they could unlock at a cost of $50 + tax. I cannot wait 90 days but prior to even mentioning this, the Rogers representative stated the phone was showing in the hardware list as "unknown device". Upon further investigation with their Tier-2 support team, the representative advised this phone was one of the many Rogers have given away in their internal contests for in store employee giveaways.

They explained when phones are shipped to them, they are unlocked but upon receipt at the warehouse, they are locked. Once locked, the phones details are listed in a database and as a result, if someone buys a device outright, they can be provided an unlock code immediately or if added on an account through contract, the user can wait 90 days. I was told with promotional devices given in contests, the IMEI is not added to the database to deter employees from selling their newly won device. As a result, since the unlock code at the time of locking the device was not entered, it is non-retrievable and as such, permanently locked to Rogers.

I would like to know if anyone could help as I even went to a local unlock shop in my home town who stated even a physical unlock relies on a 3rd party server and they are unable to do anything. I have just bought a $500 brick as things stand.

As an alternative, if anyone lives in the Vancouver BC area who uses Rogers and wants a BlackBerry Z30 and has another to trade, I'm happy to do so and that way, you have a Rogers device and I can unlock whichever one you have for my needs. Alternatively, I will sell for $400 and take a loss so I can purchase directly through BlackBerry. Please let me know if you can assist in any way. Thank you!
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    06-25-14 10:43 PM
    I am new to technology but have a real problem. I use Koodo Mobile (Canada) & T-Mobile (USA). I recently broke my BlackBerry Q10 and wanting to save some money, I purchased a brand new Rogers BlackBerry Z30 which came with all original packaging and an Otterbox Defender Series case. As a result, I was told I could use a 3rd party service to unlock. I have tried 4 services:

cellunlocker
    freemyblackberry
    quickphoneunlock
    Ebay Z30 unlocking

Each service was roughly $30 and all provided feedback "Code Not Found". I contacted Rogers who stated the IMEI number is not listed and since I'm not a Rogers customer, a friend who uses Rogers stated I could add it to his profile. Contacting Rogers, they said this was fine but I would need to wait 90 days at which point, they could unlock at a cost of $50 + tax. I cannot wait 90 days but prior to even mentioning this, the Rogers representative stated the phone was showing in the hardware list as "unknown device". Upon further investigation with their Tier-2 support team, the representative advised this phone was one of the many Rogers have given away in their internal contests for in store employee giveaways.

They explained when phones are shipped to them, they are unlocked but upon receipt at the warehouse, they are locked. Once locked, the phones details are listed in a database and as a result, if someone buys a device outright, they can be provided an unlock code immediately or if added on an account through contract, the user can wait 90 days. I was told with promotional devices given in contests, the IMEI is not added to the database to deter employees from selling their newly won device. As a result, since the unlock code at the time of locking the device was not entered, it is non-retrievable and as such, permanently locked to Rogers.

I would like to know if anyone could help as I even went to a local unlock shop in my home town who stated even a physical unlock relies on a 3rd party server and they are unable to do anything. I have just bought a $500 brick as things stand.

As an alternative, if anyone lives in the Vancouver BC area who uses Rogers and wants a BlackBerry Z30 and has another to trade, I'm happy to do so and that way, you have a Rogers device and I can unlock whichever one you have for my needs. Alternatively, I will sell for $400 and take a loss so I can purchase directly through BlackBerry. Please let me know if you can assist in any way. Thank you!
    Bummer situation.

I think your best bet is what you've done above - request a swap.

Good luck to you!
    06-25-14 10:54 PM
    Thank you for the response! Maybe I will have some luck; even if I have to sell and take the hit. For those out of town but using Rogers, I will included next day air shipping if interested. Thanks!
    06-25-14 10:57 PM
    What Rogers told you is partially correct. I won a device at a contest that was locked to Telus. But it was never entered in the database. I was not a Telus customer so I couldn't get it added. I got my cousin to call in add the device to his account and then within 2 days it was in the database and I got my unlock code.

You need to push Rogers to add the IMEI to their database.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 11:05 PM
    What Rogers told you is partially correct. I won a device at a contest that was locked to Telus. But it was never entered in the database. I was not a Telus customer so I couldn't get it added. I got my cousin to call in add the device to his account and then within 2 days it was in the database and I got my unlock code.

You need to push Rogers to add the IMEI to their database.

Posted via CB10
    I had a friend call in and add it to their hardware profile. Unfortunately, they stated it listed as an "unknown device" Does this mean it's listed in their database? If so, I will use a 3rd party site to unlock but am unsure if it has been added correctly. Thank you for all the help!
    06-25-14 11:46 PM
    ** UPDATE **
    The device is now unlocked. After countless hours of escalating my issue through Rogers, I explained to a manager I am being held hostage as a non Rogers customer and forced to pay for 90 days of usage + unlocking for the pleasure of using a device I paid retail on and all simply because I bought privately. They said I'm not the first customer to complain with a situation like this but "promo or contest" phones are meant to be used by Rogers employees and not sold aftermarket. As a courtesy, they provided an unlock code for the usual fee but not without trying to get me to switch over first.

End result... my matter was solved but it took a lot of b****'ing and bellyaching!
    DYLANHABKIRK and raino like this.
    06-26-14 03:07 PM
    I'm really glad that they came around and did something for you. I now buy all my stuff on kijiji/craigslist and this could have happened to me. Infact my Z30 is from a Telus employee who won it and I wonder if I'd have the same issue getting it unlocked?

Q10, Q5, Z30... Damn I love leaks too much!
    06-26-14 03:28 PM