Apparently BlackBerry has given away its single global encryption key, rendering BlackBerry's vaunted security useless. At least to we plebs who don't run BES servers in our homes.

put h t t p in front of this link: motherboard.vice.com/read/rcmp-blackberry-project-clemenza-global-encryption-key-canada

So now I'd like to know how to run a BES server. Either it's possible (at no extra cost) or I'm giving up my BlackBerry.
    04-14-16 09:46 AM
    Apparently BlackBerry has given away its single global encryption key, rendering BlackBerry's vaunted security useless. At least to we plebs who don't run BES servers in our homes.

put h t t p in front of this link: motherboard.vice.com/read/rcmp-blackberry-project-clemenza-global-encryption-key-canada

So now I'd like to know how to run a BES server. Either it's possible (at no extra cost) or I'm giving up my BlackBerry.
    Common sense would suggest that it would incur extra cost. Why should businesses pay for it, but you expect it at no extra cost.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm and paulwallace1234 like this.
    04-14-16 12:03 PM
    BlackBerry hasn't lied to you, you put words in their mouth. Consumer BBM and data on BIS has always been transmitted in this fashion. BlackBerry 10 doesn't use BIS so that concern is gone since it will rely on the security of the carrier and any service you're using for communication. In terms of BBM, BBM Protected is available as a subscription service and you do have the option of BES, but pry open the wallet and actually pay for the services.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 05:54 AM
    Yes, BlackBerry phones are not fully secure unless paired with a BES. But they do have other features - like secure boot (no jaikbreaking or rooting) and full device encryption including external storage - that still give them a little more protection than the rest.
    04-15-16 08:04 AM