Former user looking to come back. Has anyone successfully side loaded Google hangouts on the new classic?
    12-26-14 02:49 PM
    No android app that directly ties to a Google Service works on BB10 'cept for Google Maps.

You can download Gtalk from BBWorld though.
    12-26-14 03:00 PM
    So that's why I can't get Lyft to work thru 1mobile. (lyft requires a Google Play Store to work and I tried and tried to install Google play store and it would never take. Now I know why. Any new whether the ability to install Google apps on BB10 change in the future? Or is it just a "monopoly game" issue?

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 03:53 PM
    I have a few friends on Google Hangouts, and I just installed Google Talk from BlackBerry World. Works just fine on my Classic.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 03:56 PM
    There are no plans to get Google Play Services on BB10.
    12-26-14 04:29 PM
    There are no plans to get Google Play Services on BB10.
    Just google "Cobalt's official google apps landing page". It's a thread here on crackberry. It offer workarounds and a patched google play services apk.

Google Hangouts can't be installed even with those apk's, though. It uses something else too (google+ sign in, I think) which hasn't been able to be patched yet.
    Judyam likes this.
    12-26-14 04:51 PM
    Works fin until someone invites you to a group chat. The GTalk app doesn't have that functionality and likely won't. Google Talk was built on the open Jabber platform, but Hangouts specific stuff like group chat, video, SMS, and whatever else fancy it does won't work on anything but a fully licensed, Google approved Android phone.
    12-26-14 07:25 PM
    Fwiw, and I know this is probably not helpful...but I've convinced the few people who I used to chat with over Hangouts to switch to BBM since it's truly cross platform.

If it's at all a possibility, I'd try to convert as many as you can because the GTalk app for BlackBerry leaves much to be desired if you're used to Hangouts.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 07:36 PM
    Just google "Cobalt's official google apps landing page". It's a thread here on crackberry. It offer workarounds and a patched google play services apk.

Google Hangouts can't be installed even with those apk's, though. It uses something else too (google+ sign in, I think) which hasn't been able to be patched yet.
    And yet you can't have half of Google's apps work. not much good out of it. But I do give him kudos for all the time spend on trying to help us.
    12-26-14 08:48 PM
    Honestly I wonder if someone could just make a GAPPS release for BB10.
    12-30-14 05:36 PM
    I miss the days when developers worked hard to have their apps on all platforms.

I can't stand having to use multiple devices because I can't use all the apps I need reliably.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 03:06 PM
    This app Hg10 -- A generic XMPP Client HG10 is in early development, but is shaping up to be a good replacement for Google Talk on BlackBerry since Talk isn't being updated anymore.
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59945472
    Take is out for a spin, might work for you.

Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.1949
    01-10-15 06:20 PM
    I just stumbled across a different posting on Crackberry that lets a person get at Hangouts from a web browser.

Go to hangouts.google.com and just log in as you would normally. I have tested the IM portion - works. Have not tried the video call yet.
    It's awfully small on my Classic, probably better suited to a Passport, but for a person like myself who uses Hangouts extensively due to having a co-worker half-way across the continent, it's going to be VERY handy.
    08-24-15 02:11 PM