Hi CB experts,

Hoping you can help with an issue I've started having, which is that half my Google/Android apps have stopped working because of an update to Google Play Services?

I'm on a Passport, which I love, but my Android apps are suddenly non-functional because they need Google Play Services.

I tried sideloading but the install hangs and the 'official' SDK not loading at all.

Any ideas what happened/why the update no longer installs/ how I can stop this in future?

With thanks!

Nick

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 03:19 PM
    You know what happened. You stated it yourself.

apps have stopped working because of an update to Google Play Services?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ctions-985344/

You need the patched files in order for it to continue working and those files MUST not be updated unless it's to update to another patched version, not an official update.
    08-10-15 03:37 PM
    Thanks Blaze!

This is kind of a big thing though. I mean, BlackBerry has aspirations to be a mainstream player and Android support was a big part of that. If normal (ie. non-technical) users like me buy into it and the solution is as complex as you say then surely this is yet another usability nail in Blackberry's coffin?

I love my BlackBerry, and have chosen BlackBerry for my last 7 upgrades. It never felt like a technologically backward choice until now.

So from your answer I'm kinda assuming that my apps = screwed because I took the decision to sideload. I'm currently in northern Italy and a member of my family depends on one of those apps for her welfare. My wife's iPhone, on the other hand, is working fine...

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 03:56 PM
    Download Cobalt's modified Lucky Patcher if you need to patch the apps on your device.

I assume you've installed the rest of his modified Google Play Services suite of apps?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Abdelhakim Yacoubi likes this.
    08-10-15 03:59 PM
    Where to download Cobalt's Lucky patcher?
    08-10-15 04:01 PM
    Thanks Blaze!

This is kind of a big thing though. I mean, BlackBerry has aspirations to be a mainstream player and Android support was a big part of that. If normal (ie. non-technical) users like me buy into it and the solution is as complex as you say then surely this is yet another usability nail in Blackberry's coffin?

I love my BlackBerry, and have chosen BlackBerry for my last 7 upgrades. It never felt like a technologically backward choice until now.

So from your answer I'm kinda assuming that my apps = screwed because I took the decision to sideload. I'm currently in northern Italy and a member of my family depends on one of those apps for her welfare. My wife's iPhone, on the other hand, is working fine...

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, thats it. Download the app and dont upload the google thing. I am fine with my 'old' apps

Posted via PP
    08-10-15 04:02 PM
    Where to download Cobalt's Lucky patcher?
    Cobalt's modified Google Play Services thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=965257

Cobalt's Lucky Patcher:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=947141

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-10-15 04:04 PM
    So I have installed Lucky Patcher (nice software, by the way!) and none of the re-built apps are working. I am still getting the same 'Google Play Services required' message as before. Any bright ideas CB10 fans? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 04:24 PM
    And Yeh it didn't work. Lucky Patcher is great, except that when I relaunch the apps I rebuilt, I still get the same Google Play Services fault I got before.

So Lucky Patcher does nothing, the native apps are broken and my confidence in BlackBerry is 0%. I am responsible for a workforce of over 50 people. When will BlackBerry realise that it has to work if businss users are going to choose it?

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 04:47 PM
    So I have installed Lucky Patcher (nice software, by the way!) and none of the re-built apps are working. I am still getting the same 'Google Play Services required' message as before. Any bright ideas CB10 fans? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Try GMaps Patcher. It works better than Lucky Patcher.
    08-10-15 04:54 PM
    And Yeh it didn't work. Lucky Patcher is great, except that when I relaunch the apps I rebuilt, I still get the same Google Play Services fault I got before.

So Lucky Patcher does nothing, the native apps are broken and my confidence in BlackBerry is 0%. I am responsible for a workforce of over 50 people. When will BlackBerry realise that it has to work if businss users are going to choose it?

Posted via CB10
    Do you have the entire Cobalt Google Play Services apparatus set up properly?

Don't forget, BlackBerry does not support this. This is a workaround. Google Play Services are not permitted on BB10. Hence the move to Android-based BlackBerry devices as I'm sure you've been reading about.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-10-15 05:23 PM
    I get the "This app won't run without Google Play Services" message when I start my few Android Apps but I either wait a few moments or tap on the screen anywhere beside the error message and they run. Basically I just ignore the message.
    ultra07 likes this.
    08-10-15 08:37 PM