I have been going through the application process for a couple months now with Verizon wireless. I applied for a retail sales position.

A few weeks ago the recruiter called me and did the phone interview. Then I was called for second phone interview the next day. Then a couple days later the store manager of the store near me called and scheduled me for an in store interview.

I did the in store interview and it went great. The manager told me if I was not chosen for that position he would send my info to other local stores. A couple weeks later I get a call from the manager of another store in my area. He asked me to come in for an in store interview.

I went to the interview and he hired me on the spot. He told me within 2-3 days I would receive a call from someone to schedule a drug test and my training.

My question is, have they already done a background check before I got hired in store or do they still have to do the background check? I have felony drug charges on my record and I am afraid that I will be fired now before I even start training if they run a background check now and did not already do so before hiring me.

I did not lie to them about this as they did not ask me anything about criminal record and the new laws state they are not supposed to hold it against me unless it directly effects my ability to do the job. I am still nervous though and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a similar situation. Thanks.
    07-28-15 08:36 PM
    Ummm, alrighty then. I have no idea as to their hiring policies lol. Hopefully someone else can come along and help you. Good luck!
    07-28-15 08:39 PM
    Ummm, alrighty then. I have no idea as to their hiring policies lol. Hopefully someone else can come along and help you. Good luck!
    Is this even an appropriate question for CrackBerry--a BlackBerry (not Verizon employees) forum? Serious question, nothing against the OP.

If you decide to keep this thread around, I'll PM a Verizon employee (current? Ex?) to chime in, if he can.
    07-28-15 08:48 PM
    I'm not sure what there policy is.

However, I would assume anything criminal is a no no.

Felony you might be okay. I don't know tho,

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 09:58 PM
    I'm shocked that verizon does drug tests.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 10:14 PM
    Me to actually, for a retail position at least.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 10:29 PM
    My advice is this. 1. Do not lie on your application. This can be grounds for dismissal later. 2. If you have been hired, you should have completed additional hiring paperwork, I-9, W-4, among others. 3. Following this, your employment will be contingent on the drug test.

As for criminal history, an employer has to decide that a person's criminal history will not impact an applicants ability to perform their job and not put the company at risk.

Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 11:47 PM
    Was there a section on the app asking if you had a criminal record? If so, what did you fill in?

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    07-29-15 01:05 AM
    Is this even an appropriate question for CrackBerry--a BlackBerry (not Verizon employees) forum? Serious question, nothing against the OP.

If you decide to keep this thread around, I'll PM a Verizon employee (current? Ex?) to chime in, if he can.

Well, it's a bit of an odd question to be asking here but eh....
    07-29-15 01:52 AM
    But still better than discussing toilet paper in other threads

Posted via my awesome Passport
    07-29-15 02:19 AM
    Huh?

07-29-15 03:37 AM
    I think someone misunderstood the name CRACKberry...

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Trini-34 like this.
    07-29-15 11:34 AM
    OP.... if you do get to keep you job. Make sure and come back and let us in on all the Verizon / BlackBerry stories you hear.
    07-29-15 11:37 AM
    Perhaps moved to Verizon Wireless section?

Maybe there someone would be better equipped to answer. I have Verizon but I've never applied there and have no clue what their hiring policies are - I would imagine if they've had his application on file for as long as they have, they'd have to have an OK from some higher up in order to approve his hiring.

Posted with my  Classic
    07-29-15 11:55 AM
    But still better than discussing toilet paper in other threads

Posted via my awesome Passport
    Now that you've mentioned it...this is equally wrong.

Getting Hired At Verizon Wireless-tp-not-roll-630x560.jpg

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 12:58 PM
    Looks like my office

07-29-15 01:20 PM
    Oh wow, interesting question. I am not sure; cause right now I am shocked that they do a drug test. Especially with "Mary-Jane" becoming more and more acceptable (Washington DC legalizes "Mary-Jane" and a couple other States). Either way, Good Luck to you!!!
    Also, be honest on your application... It is always the best policy
    07-29-15 01:45 PM
    Most companies do the background check after the start date, since they assume you told the truth on the application and realize that if you didn't, you won't keep your job. The reason for post hire background checks is the cost of doing so before the offer and acceptance is simply too high, especially for companies with revolving door type positions.
    07-29-15 01:53 PM
    I'm not sure what there policy is.

However, I would assume anything criminal is a no no.

Felony you might be okay. I don't know tho,

Posted via CB10
    Not being a smart @ss but a felony drug charge is a CRIMINAL charge. Let me try to be of some help, and if this has been answered, sorry I didn't have time to read the entire thread. I'm Medical Doctor with a Juris Doctorate. A doctor with his law degree basically. This day and age, everybody sues, better to understand the law. Anyway to your point. There is a difference between being charged and not convicted, being charged and those charges pending, and being charged, convicted, and punished by probation or jail time. Your question is about holding a felony drug charge against. Technically, if you were not convicted and no longer having pending charges, they should not be able to hold it against you. The key here is should not. That said, they could find any number of reasons to not hire you and lie about their reasoning. On the other side, if you are a convicted felon this is a whole other issue. I probably have already taken the post beyond what's necessary, but you are entitled to know your rights. *************To be absolutely unequivocally clear, as a member of the Bar Association both state and federal this by no means is an offer or admission of any legal advice. It is merely my subjective opinion based on the facts you presented*************
    07-29-15 02:42 PM
    The 2-3 day hold is checking your background and seeing if you qualify for a drug test. Drug test cost money (not sure if you have to pay for it yourself) and they don't want to be wasteful. I used to be an office manager and did these things. If you didn't lie then you have nothing to fear, if they didn't have that question and feel it is of further concern they will address it with you (that is if they really want to hire you).
    07-29-15 03:42 PM