This is being displayed on the phone when i try to start a mobile Hotspot i know tethering is enabled on this number.
    10-22-14 03:35 AM
    This is because of your provider's limitations, that's all

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 06:56 AM
    This is being displayed on the phone when i try to start a mobile Hotspot i know tethering is enabled on this number.
    Your going to need to speak with your carrier to lift the restriction of roaming. Even then they may not allow it as it is more of a cost to them, so they say.
    10-22-14 08:27 AM
    Am also having this issue and I don't think it's a network issue. I was able to open a Hotspot before. Then one time I was roaming and I turned it on and a warning told me that extra charges might occur. Then I chose not now.

After this I couldn't turn on my Hotspot anymore. I've been trying to find the settings but couldn't.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 05:23 AM
    Am also having this issue and I don't think it's a network issue. I was able to open a Hotspot before. Then one time I was roaming and I turned it on and a warning told me that extra charges might occur. Then I chose not now.

After this I couldn't turn on my Hotspot anymore. I've been trying to find the settings but couldn't.

Posted via CB10
    Go to network connections in settings and turn on data services while roaming. See the screen shots below. BUT, be aware that depending on your service plan from your carrier, it will cost you more to use data while roaming or it might not be available at all. That's why you get the warning.
    Why an I being told that I cannot start a mobile hotspot due to a network roaming restriction?-img_20141226_090156.png
    Why an I being told that I cannot start a mobile hotspot due to a network roaming restriction?-img_20141226_090204.png
    Why an I being told that I cannot start a mobile hotspot due to a network roaming restriction?-img_20141226_090214.png
    Why an I being told that I cannot start a mobile hotspot due to a network roaming restriction?-img_20141226_090224.png

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    12-26-14 08:06 AM
    Data while roaming is turned on. But when I turn on Hotspot the error appears. I tried swapping my SIM with my wife's iPhone and I can turn on hotspot without any problem. My previous phone for this SIM was also an iPhone.

Why an I being told that I cannot start a mobile hotspot due to a network roaming restriction?-img_20141227_230206.png
    Why an I being told that I cannot start a mobile hotspot due to a network roaming restriction?-img_20141227_230228.png

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 08:05 AM
    It could be that the carriers in question are okay with a "personal data usage" amount of roaming, but not a Hotspot amount, which can be higher. Kind of an antiquated way of thinking considering all that data-chewing activities phones can do on their own now, but it's still an educated choice.

It's kinda like letting your kid drive your car around the block, but not letting him take it on the highway.
    12-27-14 10:38 AM
    Data while roaming is turned on. But when I turn on Hotspot the error appears. I tried swapping my SIM with my wife's iPhone and I can turn on hotspot without any problem. My previous phone for this SIM was also an iPhone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141227_230206.png 
Views:	508 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	323460
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141227_230228.png 
Views:	508 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	323462

Posted via CB10
    Well, have to tried talking to your carrier? If your wife's Sim card works and yours doesn't, sounds like you need a new Sim card. Ergo, call your carrier!

12-27-14 09:39 PM
    Well, have to tried talking to your carrier? If your wife's Sim card works and yours doesn't, sounds like you need a new Sim card. Ergo, call your carrier!

I did talk to my carrier like 5 times already. My SIM card works when inserted to my wife's iPhone. And again I called my carrier they don't block internet roaming hotspot. And all my APN settings is correct. They said device issue. That's why they asked me to insert my SIM to any other phone, setup the APN to be the same as my BlackBerry Passport and share my internet via Hotspot. Viola it worked. So my SIM in my wife's iPhone works! Thus, it narrowed it down to device issue.

I had to explain this to Blackberry Support before they tried to even address it. They were pointing at carrier issue. I think there may be a setting hidden somewhere in BlackBerry Passport and am asking Blackberry support for this.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 04:22 PM
    It could be that the carriers in question are okay with a "personal data usage" amount of roaming, but not a Hotspot amount, which can be higher. Kind of an antiquated way of thinking considering all that data-chewing activities phones can do on their own now, but it's still an educated choice.

It's kinda like letting your kid drive your car around the block, but not letting him take it on the highway.
    It's not a carrier issue. I talked a number of times already to my carrier and they don't have this restriction. Also, as I stated, I used my SIM inserted it to my wife's iPhone and it works.

I think it's Blackberry trying to protect us users from "letting our kid drive down the highway"

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 04:25 PM
    It's not a carrier issue. I talked a number of times already to my carrier and they don't have this restriction. Also, as I stated, I used my SIM inserted it to my wife's iPhone and it works.

I think it's Blackberry trying to protect us users from "letting our kid drive down the highway"
    Interesting. Generally speaking from my experience, BlackBerry only enforces carrier's self-serving, predefined rules, it does not create them. I'll give you a very relevant example. My data plan is not supposed to allow me to hotspot. So whenever I have my SIM card in my factory unlocked, unbranded Q10 and try to create a hotspot, I get an upsell message from my carrier to change my data plan. However, when I put the same SIM card in my unlocked and non-branded Android, not only does hotspot work but my data usage isn't recorded either.

As you noted in your previous post, it's probably a setting issue. Something is off somewhere, or a box needs to be checked, etc.
    12-28-14 06:23 PM
    Interesting. Generally speaking from my experience, BlackBerry only enforces carrier's self-serving, predefined rules, it does not create them. I'll give you a very relevant example. My data plan is not supposed to allow me to hotspot. So whenever I have my SIM card in my factory unlocked, unbranded Q10 and try to create a hotspot, I get an upsell message from my carrier to change my data plan. However, when I put the same SIM card in my unlocked and non-branded Android, not only does hotspot work but my data usage isn't recorded either.

As you noted in your previous post, it's probably a setting issue. Something is off somewhere, or a box needs to be checked, etc.
    Yes, but I had to convince Blackberry Support about this. I believe a hidden setting or a bug in the OS for this.

I am 100% sure my carrier doesn't block this as I have tried this before when I was still using iPhone. And now when I inserted my SIM to my wife's iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 06:27 PM
    Yes, but I had to convince Blackberry Support about this. I believe a hidden setting or a bug in the OS for this.

I am 100% sure my carrier doesn't block this as I have tried this before when I was still using iPhone. And now when I inserted my SIM to my wife's iPhone.
    Maybe this might be of interest: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...creens-793184/

^It's not completely relevant because the carrier in question did not allow tethering for the plan, but in your case, since you have carrier's permission, you'd only be making changes to your phone to potentially clear the on-device hurdle.

Since it involves tinkering with the escreen, it should pretty much be the last option, for when all else has failed. If you're still in contact with BB Support exhaust that avenue first.
    12-28-14 06:32 PM
    Maybe this might be of interest: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...creens-793184/

^It's not completely relevant because the carrier in question did not allow tethering for the plan, but in your case, since you have carrier's permission, you'd only be making changes to your phone to potentially clear the on-device hurdle.

Since it involves tinkering with the escreen, it should pretty much be the last option, for when all else has failed. If you're still in contact with BB Support exhaust that avenue first.
    Thanks. I'll exhaust the Blackberry Support avenue first.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 09:18 PM
    I did talk to my carrier like 5 times already. My SIM card works when inserted to my wife's iPhone. And again I called my carrier they don't block internet roaming hotspot. And all my APN settings is correct. They said device issue. That's why they asked me to insert my SIM to any other phone, setup the APN to be the same as my BlackBerry Passport and share my internet via Hotspot. Viola it worked. So my SIM in my wife's iPhone works! Thus, it narrowed it down to device issue.

I had to explain this to Blackberry Support before they tried to even address it. They were pointing at carrier issue. I think there may be a setting hidden somewhere in BlackBerry Passport and am asking Blackberry support for this.

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't the Passport take a different size Sim card? I thought I remembered that it is smaller than the older OS10 devices. Perhaps I remember incorrectly. Wouldn't be the first time! I'm sure someone will correct me.

12-28-14 09:26 PM
    Doesn't the Passport take a different size Sim card? I thought I remembered that it is smaller than the older OS10 devices.
    It does, but that doesn't really matter. Remember, everything else is working just fine, which means the SIM card (its size or something else) is not the problem. And the iPhone has been taking the same type of SIM as the Passport for at least a couple of generations now.
    12-28-14 10:02 PM
    It does, but that doesn't really matter. Remember, everything else is working just fine, which means the SIM card (its size or something else) is not the problem. And the iPhone has been taking the same type of SIM as the Passport for at least a couple of generations now.
    Yes. Both, iPhone and BlackBerry Passport use nano SIM. And, as per my previous post, the SIM and carrier has been ruled out. It must be a setting somewhere. Am in the last leg of my trip with only 10 days to go and still there is no solution. Since I travel a lot, I may need to bring my iPhone on my next travel.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 05:20 AM
    It's a micro sim, is it not?
    All BlackBerry 10 devices in. South Africa use micro sims, we don't have sim free services

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    12-30-14 11:44 AM
    The Passport takes a nano SIM. As does the Classic.
    MiSsY_ likes this.
    12-30-14 11:50 AM
    All BlackBerry 10 devices in. South Africa use micro sims, we don't have sim free services

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    It's a Nano SIM. Alas, I hit a brick wall in the support. BlackBerry Support want my carrier to contact them directly. My carrier tech support is waiting for approval from management before they will call BlackBerry Support since the phone was not issued by them.

This is getting frustrating. Being a Tech guy too, I know how to figure out the settings if given the proper instructions. I also understand the lack of support of the carrier since this is a device related issue and is not a network related issue.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD