Have a new Z30 (we keep spares) that has been giving us all sorts of trouble.

Initially connected to link and updated the software. Hit a few glitches during the update, but eventually, everything seemed to iron out. The device was factory loaded with 10.3.1, but LINK updated to 10.3.3.

The device ran fine for about 30 minutes before acting really weird and eventually bricking itself.

Let the battery fully discharge. The did a full charge on it.

It booted up, but the touch input was unresponsive. We then did a series of resets using the volume keys, to no avail.

Tried to do a reload using link, but nothing seems to actually to reload. Link recognizes the device, seems to go through the reload process, but the device itself seems unchanged. It's still stuck on the, "Welcome to Blackberry - please choose a language" page, and still lacking touch input. Did some more resets, but nothing.

Short of an autoloader (which we aren't supposed to use on our business devices because of compliance reasons) I'm out of ideas.

Would love to get it to work, but because of the nature of our business we need highly stable devices, and I'm quickly loosing faith that this one isn't a lemon.

Thoughts on how to fix?

The phone was purchased brand new from best buy in November of 2016, and it's first time out of the box was this weekend. Anyone know how warranty support works these days?

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 12:47 AM
    My first thought was autoloader until I read the bit about corporate device.

Contact BestBuy about warranty.
    05-22-17 01:02 AM
    My first thought was autoloader until I read the bit about corporate device.

Contact BestBuy about warranty.
    Building on this concept, if we are successful in getting a replacement for this device, how do we ensure everything is wiped clean if we can't get into the phone? I assume at that point an autoloader would void any warranty?

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 12:31 PM
    Building on this concept, if we are successful in getting a replacement for this device, how do we ensure everything is wiped clean if we can't get into the phone? I assume at that point an autoloader would void any warranty?

Posted via CB10
    Well I think that is something you can discuss with bestbuy. You didn't buy the Z30 carrier locked and the files that are available to autoload the latest OS are from BlackBerry, the OEM. So neither the retailer nor a carrier can provide the device with an update. When you talk to them, point this out and stress the you need the update for security reasons. Hot topic currently.
    05-22-17 01:40 PM
    Autoloaders do not void warranty. It is NO different from reloading the OS with Link, except you can determine which OS version to use. All OSes are signed by BlackBerry, and cannot be tampered with, so there is no risk to messing up your device or compromising security. Use this one (the latest, 10.3.3.2205):

https://mega.nz/#!4RpDVBrC!kb98vL757...RWrbfeuogn_KRA

Corporate policy be damned. Lol.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    05-22-17 01:54 PM

Thoughts on how to fix?

The phone was purchased brand new from best buy in November of 2016, and it's first time out of the box was this weekend. Anyone know how warranty support works these days?

Posted via CB10
    Contact Best Buy.... if you bought a Geek Squad plan, should be no problem to return it. If not, where I am, you have 90 Days then you have to deal with the manufacture... BlackBerry. And not sure how their device support is these days.

Not sure if you are in the IT department.... but if security is an issue, most the files can be downloaded directly from BlackBerry. But it will take a 3rd party solution to make them installable.
    05-22-17 01:58 PM
    So while I've been on hold with Blackberry, the phone went into battery saving mode, and guess what....all of a sudden the touch input works again. This sounds eerily similar to the issues people had with 10.3.1.

Neither BestBuy nor Blackberry seem to know what the heck they are doing. They have the wrong purchase date in their system, can't figure out who is supposed to cover warranty issues....nightmare.

Might try another reload while I'm on hold.

Stay tuned.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 03:34 PM
    Contact Best Buy.... if you bought a Geek Squad plan, should be no problem to return it. If not, where I am, you have 90 Days then you have to deal with the manufacture... BlackBerry. And not sure how their device support is these days.

Not sure if you are in the IT department.... but if security is an issue, most the files can be downloaded directly from BlackBerry. But it will take a 3rd party solution to make them installable.
    Can you elaborate on downloading directly from blackberry? This might ease the concerns of our compliance gurus.

Ideally, I think we'd use a destructive load and go back to 10.2 and then jump to 10.3.2 and skip 10.3.1 entirely. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 03:35 PM
    Can you elaborate on downloading directly from blackberry? This might ease the concerns of our compliance gurus.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    All OSes are downloaded from BlackBerry. As I wrote above, you can't load any software on a BlackBerry device not signed by BlackBerry. It's hardware encoded security.

Use the autoloader above.
    05-22-17 03:37 PM
    All OSes are downloaded from BlackBerry. As I wrote above, you can't load any software on a BlackBerry device not signed by BlackBerry. It's hardware encoded security.

Use the autoloader above.
    Haha, you and I know that......the compliance department isn't so sure because they see it as being "downloaded out of some chat room" and not from BlackBerry - their language, not mine. LOL.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 03:41 PM
    I can give you links for the debrick file and the radio file (both direct from BlackBerry), but then you will have to build the autoloader yourself with DBBT. Will that do?
    05-22-17 03:42 PM
    05-22-17 03:44 PM
    And if DBBT is haraam, get a hex editor and an autoloader from the BlackBerry developer site.
    05-22-17 03:55 PM
    I would check for a replacement if warranty is still valid. If not, remove the screen and see if it's connected properly.

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    05-23-17 02:02 AM
    Thank you to everyone for your help! Still working on this issue, Blackberry support seems to think it's a hardware problem.....it is still under warranty, but trying to get anyone to honor it has been like pulling teeth. Blackberry says it's the retailer's responsibility to process/service warranty items, while the retailer (bestbuy) says that since it's a manufacturer's warranty that Blackberry needs to handle the replacement device......its circular with everyone pointing fingers at the other guy.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-17 12:17 PM
    Thank you to everyone for your help! Still working on this issue, Blackberry support seems to think it's a hardware problem.....it is still under warranty, but trying to get anyone to honor it has been like pulling teeth. Blackberry says it's the retailer's responsibility to process/service warranty items, while the retailer (bestbuy) says that since it's a manufacturer's warranty that Blackberry needs to handle the replacement device......its circular with everyone pointing fingers at the other guy.

Posted via CB10
    Probably because neither has stock to send you a replacement. Did you ask about performing the update and how it would effect the warranty?

Also crackbb10 has a good idea if you decide to crack (pun?) into it. The value of a Z30 now can't be much anyway.
    05-23-17 02:37 PM
    Probably because neither has stock to send you a replacement. Did you ask about performing the update and how it would effect the warranty?

Also crackbb10 has a good idea if you decide to crack (pun?) into it. The value of a Z30 now can't be much anyway.
    You funny

Posted via CB10
    05-23-17 04:18 PM