I wanted to sell my Passport, so carried out a factory reset using my PC, which wiped all the data. I checked it had worked by turning it on and it was at the beginning of the set up process, asking for the language.

Satisfied, I sold it through ebay and sent it off. However, the new owner tells me it is asking for my id and password. I thought he had to create a new one, but he says not.

With no other option (I don't use my Blackberry ID any more) I sent him my details, which still work online. He tells me that he still can't get the phone to let him begin.

Would the phone retain the password following a factory reset via my PC?
    Is it possible for my password to be different to the one online?
    If there is a difference, how would I know?
    Should the phone be connected to a PC or have a sim in it for the verification?
    10-05-16 03:40 AM
    You need to disassociate the PP from your BlackBerry Protect account. You will need to login with your BBid in order to do so.
    Once you have removed the PP from your device list you can then wipe the device.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 03:46 AM
    I actually asked this question, as I couldn't see the log in button!

When you say, 'I will need to log in with my BBID', where do I have to log in? On the phone? If I only have to log in online, how will the phone 'know' if it's not yet connected to anything?
    Also, when I do sign in online, all I see is a screen with details; there is no mention of an associated phone.
    10-05-16 03:57 AM
    Easiest to do online but can also be initiated directly from Settings on your device.
    Login to protect with your BBid.
    When logged in there should be a heading for Manage Devices...open that and then you can selectively remove the desired device.
    'Forgotten' password?-img_20161005_020738.png

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 04:07 AM
    I don't have the phone (the new owner does) and I'm told he can't get past the first page asking for Blackberry id details.

So, to go back to the original questions:

Would the phone retain the password following a factory reset via my PC?
    Is it possible for the password on the phone to be different to the one online?
    If there is a difference, how would I know?
    Should the phone be connected to a PC, or have a sim in it, for the verification?
    10-05-16 04:12 AM
    Phone does not need a Sim or a PC connection for verification.
    The original BBID and password remain associated with the device unless the BBid is changed prior to a security wipe and until it has been disassociate from BB Protect.
    You do not require direct phone access in order to verify your BBid and disassociate the device from Protect.
    ...BUT this must be completed prior to a security wipe and before any attempt from the seller to create a new BBid on the phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 04:27 AM
    As it hadn't been done prior to the security wipe and reset (even though there are no warnings to do so!), what do I do now?

The new owner tells me that the phone will not accept the details I have provided, so will he need to return it to me, or can he connect it via a PC and make the changes now?
    10-05-16 04:34 AM
    The following articles may be of assistance.

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...mber=000033591

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...mber=000036737

I am noting the obvious here but ensure that you are entering the BBid and BBid password that were utilized when you first created your BBid account on your device.
    Also ensure that you are entering the BBid password and not the device password.

You should first verify your BBid by logging in online to your BlackBerry account.

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...mber=000034137

Once you have verified the BBid you can login to BBPROTECT and you should be able confirm that the PP is recognized and can subsequently be removed.
    If you are successful that will then allow the seller to attempt a security wipe from the phone.
    He will be prompted to enter your BBid if all is well and then should be able to initiate a security wipe prior to creating his own BBid.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 04:49 AM
    The steps I took and the situation is this:

I wanted to sell the phone, so I followed the procedure in your link for a data wipe and factory reset.
    I then sold the phone and sent it to the buyer, who asked me for the BBID.
    I wasn't aware of the BB Protect, so told him he needed to create a new BBID. He tells me he did this, but that wasn't accepted by the phone.
    The BBID I have still works and I can log in to the protect screen:'Forgotten' password?-screen1.gif
    Does this BB protect screen indicate that the protection isn't on, or just that the phone isn't detected as being used?
    Regardless, the buyer tells me that my BBID and password do not work on the phone.

So what do I do?

I find it astonishing that I have to have had the phone unlocked to wipe and reset it. The instructions say, very specifically, that the phone will be restored to factory settings, yet I am completely stuck.
    10-05-16 05:07 AM
    The device may not be powered on, WiFi may be off, the device may be hidden from satellite view, location services may be off or Protect has been disabled.

Regardless the phone needs to be disassociated from your account...do so through Manage Devices. I believe that you can then close your Protect account under Options.

The purchaser should be able to power off device and reattempt a security wipe.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 05:21 AM
    I have this resolved, finally, although I have no idea what the new user is doing regarding creating a new protect password.

As you may gather if you read the thread, despite Blackberry stating that ALL data, etc. is wiped and the phone reset to factory conditions, clearly that's not the case and it retains the Blackberry Protect. Anyway, I have now removed it from my account.

To be honest, I think this episode highlights why Blackberry has been abandoned by so many. The phones are excellent, but the support is appalling. Their own website is a total mess and the instructions are either incomplete, confusing, or plain wrong. Even the part that asks if you want to remove your Blackberry ID account (I no longer need it) doesn't work at all.

If the phone had given the flexibility I need and the support necessary, I'd still have it. Once a dedicated Blackberry supporter I'm now just one of the droves who has moved to Android powered Samsung (and they aren't perfect!).
    10-08-16 07:08 AM