I have a company-issued Bold that had a corrupt media card. I managed to get all the picture files off the card and loaded to a USB stick but the files all have a .rem extension. I thought it would be easy to have our IT department simply reload these files back onto my Bold (as I understand only the originating device can decrypt these files...is this true?) but they said its not possible. In hindsight, I should not have used a company-issued device to take personal pictures but I'm hoping to recover at least a select few pics that I would consider keepsakes before surrendering my phone to our IT group for a scheduled upgrade.

Is it true that these files can't be loaded back to my phone once I've replaced the media card? Also, is there a 'skeleton key' solution where these files can be changed to unencrypted jpg files via the use of a software program?

Thanks.
    09-02-14 09:54 PM
    This is a tough one... and the reason I don't encrypt my memory card...

I don't know of any way to decrypt the files unless on the original device. I don't think it is possible.

The whole reason behind the encryption is to prevent people from using it without the actual device.

Someone else here might have a work around but I wouldn't count on it...

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 10:13 PM
    Thanks. I still have the device from which these encrypted files originated. Can I do anything to get them back onto the device so to retrieve the ones I want to keep?
    09-03-14 05:39 PM
    Depends what the problem with the device is. If it is a fixable problem (like a bad battery or a loose connection) it can be fixed quite easily. Anything else (bad cpu, bad motherboard) might cost a bit but can still be fixed.

Try bringing it to a phone repair shop and see if they can get it working. Once you get it back up and running, you can decrypt the memory card and be on your way!

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 05:47 PM
    The device works. Here's what happened to get me to this state:

- device was having intermittent display problems that eventually led to me having to reboot it by pulling and reinstalling the battery. During one of the times that I did this, the device rebooted but said I had a corrupt media card (which I then couldn't access).
    - I managed to export the files to a USB stick (and those files now all have the .rem extension)
    - I installed a new media card and have formatted it. Now all I want to do is put the encrypted files that are on the USB stick back onto the new media card on the original device. I can't get it to work and my IT department said its not doable (I'm inclined to not believe them),
    09-03-14 06:19 PM
    I could be wrong, but I thought there was a token file placed on media cards in OS7. So if you lose the token, you can't decrypt the files. Can anyone else confirm?

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 06:53 PM
    Not sure what this means re the "token".

I transferred the picture files off the old, corrupted media card and tried putting the files on a new, formatted media card but that didn't take. Did I do something wrong? I really need to establish if its at all possible to retrieve these pic files before I turn in my device to our IT group for the scheduled upgrade. Time is running out !!
    09-08-14 08:01 PM
    If you only copied the pictures, you're SOL. Go for the upgrade and be sure to make backups of your media occasionally.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 08:03 PM
    Your pictures are gone, in future take personal photos with your personal device or at least make regular backups with BlackBerry Device Software.

The media card encryption is unique to that instance every time it is performed. In your case your pictures can only be decrypted by the device that encrypted them if:

A) The device hasn't been deactivated and activated again on the BES (if it was on a BES).

and

B) The file system on the original media card that was encrypted still works (which you're saying it doesn't) and it hasn't been decrypted or formatted since the pictures were created and encrypted as .rem files.

Copying the files to another media card that has been encrypted, even on the same device that the pictures were taken on, won't decrypt them as it is a different encryption instance on different media.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.3
    09-08-14 08:13 PM