Search did not help me - might have missed something.

Can DTEK security be added to other Android phones?
    11-09-16 10:03 AM
    The DTEK security app is only available on the BlackBerry branded Priv and DTEKs. The BlackBerry keyboard and other BlackBerry apps can be added to other Android devices with Coblat's BlackBerry Manager for Android.
    11-09-16 10:45 AM
    I disabled mine anyway lol, common sense is the best security in my opinion . Don't install suspicious apps , don't download suspicious file ..
    11-09-16 10:50 AM
    I disabled mine anyway lol, common sense is the best security in my opinion . Don't install suspicious apps , don't download suspicious file ..
    I agree common sense is the best overall security strategy, but was your reason for disabling DTEK? Did it cause a problem or was it that most of what it does can be done other ways?.
    11-09-16 11:30 AM
    I agree common sense is the best overall security strategy, but was your reason for disabling DTEK? Did it cause a problem or was it that most of what it does can be done other ways?.
    It's just notified me this app access my location, this app access my contacts on marshmallow you can disable the app permission but in order the apps to work you must granted the permission anyway , for example whatsapp access my contact 734 times if I denied the permission ,whatsapp won't work lol
    11-09-16 11:34 AM
    It's just notified me this app access my location, this app access my contacts on marshmallow you can disable the app permission but in order the apps to work you must granted the permission anyway , for example whatsapp access my contact 734 times if I denied the permission ,whatsapp won't work lol
    I never turned on Notifications in DTEK, I just use it to get and overview and to check which permissions are enabled. I have disabled some permission which I don't think are needed for certain apps and haven't had any issues.
    11-09-16 01:05 PM
    You don't need to disable the permissions for the app. From within Dtek, go into WhatsApp then notifications and disable the notification for contacts. It will stop notifying you when it access your contacts, but still let you know if it does anything else. If you trust the app you can simply disable all notifications for that app. Simple.
    11-09-16 04:09 PM
    You don't need to disable the permissions for the app. From within Dtek, go into WhatsApp then notifications and disable the notification for contacts. It will stop notifying you when it access your contacts, but still let you know if it does anything else. If you trust the app you can simply disable all notifications for that app. Simple.
    Less app to drain battery..
    11-09-16 05:16 PM
    Less app to drain battery..
    I doubt it contributes in any meaningful way to battery drain.
    11-09-16 06:23 PM
    The DTEK app idea (i.e. a permissions watchdog) doesn't seem to be hardcoded to BlackBerry devices, but according to BlackBerry it's using the BIDE (BlackBerry Integrity Detection Engine) setup, which requires kernel-level work; unless BlackBerry gets into the business of crafting boutique kernels for OEMs/ROM developers to integrate into their products, no deal.
    11-09-16 06:27 PM
    ... unless BlackBerry gets into the business of crafting boutique kernels for OEMs/ROM developers to integrate into their products, no deal.
    Just one of the wrinkles in finding a suitable device manufacturer to partner with.
    krazyatom likes this.
    11-09-16 07:11 PM
    Just one of the wrinkles in finding a suitable device manufacturer to partner with.
    I'm hijacking this Reddit post to provide a better explanation than I could:

Kernels change a lot of hands - upstream (Linus) provides the base kernel, Google provides the core Android patches on top of a specific version (3.10, 3.14, 3.18, 4.1), the SoC vendor brings up their chip with their own set of patches, and the actual device OEM will apply the final changes on top to support a specific device. SoC vendors don't really have an incentive to bring new kernels to an existing chip - it's much easier to deal with a new kernel when you're working on bringup for a new SoC. Likewise, even if the SoC vendor upgrades a kernel, the OEM would have to pick up that new kernel, rebase their device-specific patches on top, and do boatloads of testing to squash new bugs that pop up. Realistically that won't happen, as the SoC vendor is already doing bringup on the next generation of chips, and the OEM is working on their next devices.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you're running 3.10 when upstream is at 4.4. If you're on a desktop and there are bugfixes or new drivers that improve some piece of hardware in your system, great - a new kernel may improve your life significantly. For your phone though, the kernel has been developed specifically for your device because the hardware isn't interchangeable. If there are better drivers or bugfixes from 4.4, they've probably been backported to your device on 3.10 - and yes, those will come in with your standard OTAs. You don't need a full kernel version bump to take advantage of those, and in fact you *don't* want a full kernel version bump because all of your device and SoC specific code can break in mysterious ways. Watch as some mmc refactoring upstream randomly breaks your wifi driver! Missed one armv8 patch? Boom, random SIMD register corruption that causes programs to randomly segfault. People are especially sensitive to kernel stability on their phones, so the kernels need to be rock solid. Backporting patches to a kernel the SoC vendor has spent a lot of time on making stable is always the safer route.

Anyway, in response to the original question: SoC vendor brings up kernel on new chip (in your case, Qualcomm on SD808/810). SoC vendor invests lots of time and money in making sure everything is stable. OEM takes that stable kernel and applies the last patches on top for the specific device, also trying to keep it stable. SoC vendor may or may not rebase onto newer kernel when bringing up their next chip in the pipeline. Also note these pipelines can be very deep - when 3.10 was selected for the 808/810 it was probably not that old.
    And if BIDE requires hardware support (BlackBerry's much vaunted hardware root of trust), then repacking it is even further out of the question.
    11-09-16 07:36 PM