i wanted to know if Telus rents cellular towers from Bell
    11-24-14 09:59 AM
    I am no expert, but as I understand it, one entity owns a tower (one of the carriers, or a third party) and all of the other carriers pay to put up their antenna.

I have noticed most cell towers have many, many satellite receivers and antennas on them.

So my non-expert answer is "yes, probably sometimes"

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 10:05 AM
    i wanted to know if Telus rents cellular towers from Bell
    It's a deeper relationship than that: Telus and Bell both co-own their LTE network and built it out together. They joined together in 2009 because their older networks could not run iPhones and Rogers could. (Bell & Telus used to run "CDMA" which is a competing technology to "GSM". GSM is where you have a SIM in your phone; CDMA phones were hard-wired to a network by their serial number (IMEI) )

There is some background information here if you're into that: Telus and Bell?s wireless partnership still a sore spot for competitors | Financial Post
    raino and bspence87 like this.
    11-24-14 10:16 AM
    It's a deeper relationship than that: Telus and Bell both co-own their LTE network and built it out together. They joined together in 2009 because their older networks could not run iPhones and Rogers could. (Bell & Telus used to run "CDMA" which is a competing technology to "GSM". GSM is where you have a SIM in your phone; CDMA phones were hard-wired to a network by their serial number (IMEI) )

There is some background information here if you're into that: Telus and Bell?s wireless partnership still a sore spot for competitors | Financial Post
    Interesting. Thanks for that link. I have a couple of questions:

1. Was this partnership solely for band 4 LTE network sharing, perhaps partly based on the fact that both Telus and Bell owned AWS spectrum? Bell owns 2600 MHz and 700 MHz spectrum now and has deployed corresponding LTE networks, but I've noticed that Telus doesn't have these two networks.

2. Was this sharing arrangement in place only in rural areas (where it makes less sense to put up multiple towers,) or urban centers as well (where competition between the three is higher?)

(I'm not the OP...)
    11-24-14 10:43 AM