I'm eager to get the new Passport but my favorite feature is the Word Substitution, which is also known as Autotext. I'm amazed at how many people have no clue about it!
    10-24-14 12:33 PM
    As far as I know it surely has predictive texts, and why worry BlackBerry is famous for its tpyo issues, u just need some practices in your new passport to get used to its greatness,

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 01:36 PM
    Predictive text isn't the same as Word Substitution (also known in older BB's as Autotext). It's the BEST feature and is a major reason I'm going back to Blackberry after the Note 3. (I love the BLACKBERRY keyboard). With Word Substitution you can set it to write words or entire paragraphs for you. For example, I type the letter 't' and then hit the space bar and the word 'the' appears. I type 'n' spacebar and 'Nancy' appears. I type 'taxix' and 'I'm writing this from the back of a taxi' appears. You can do ANYTHING! And 99% of the Blackberry users I've ever mentioned it to have never heard of it. And it's the single most important time saver but the least known. It's totally different from predictive text, so that's why I'm checking to make sure that Passport has it. (If you haven't used it, try it!! You'll LOVE it!)
    ubizmo likes this.
    10-24-14 01:53 PM
    It's not the same as predictive text, and yes, the Passport has Word Substitution.
    10-24-14 01:53 PM
    Terrific! Thank you for letting me know! I'll now buy Passport.

THANKS!
    Nancy
    10-24-14 01:57 PM
    Predictive text isn't the same as Word Substitution (also known in older BB's as Autotext). It's the BEST feature and is a major reason I'm going back to Blackberry after the Note 3. (I love the BLACKBERRY keyboard). With Word Substitution you can set it to write words or entire paragraphs for you. For example, I type the letter 't' and then hit the space bar and the word 'the' appears.
    I agree that this is one of the best features on BB10, and BBOS for that matter. It's the main reason why I like a physical keyboard. Word Sub is harder to use on a virtual keyboard, in my opinion. I also use 't' for 'the', and at the present time I have just about 500 Word Sub entries like that, mostly all abbreviations of common English words.

Because they're common, they show up in just about every sentence, and even a savings of one or two keystrokes adds up over the course of a paragraph or page. So for me, it's a kind of shorthand.

I wouldn't have bought the Passport, or the Q10 for that matter, if it didn't have Word Sub.
    10-24-14 01:59 PM
    It's good to know there's someone else out there who knows Word Sub - I thought I was alone. I'm in Philadelphia and all city employees use Blackberry but no one knows about it. This forum has me as a Newbie but I'm not a newbie to Blackberry. I have two sitting on my desk right now that I haven't used in a year and I'm excited now to get the Passport. It's out of stock so I bought a new one, still in the box, on eBay as soon as you wrote that it has the feature I want. Thanks!
    10-24-14 02:20 PM
    It must be a Philly thing, since I'm in Philly too. I'm glad you were able to get a Passport; you won't regret it.

My first phone was a T-Mobile SideKick, which also had auto-text, and that's when I realized the power of it.
    10-24-14 02:29 PM
    Yezzir
    10-24-14 02:34 PM
    Yep, it must be a Philly thing! I'm happy it is!
    10-24-14 02:39 PM
    Sorry -- It's not a Philly thing. This Canuck has been using it forever. In fact I have whole paragraphs saved in word sub for use in business messages.
    10-24-14 04:03 PM
    That's great! It's a valuable time-saving tool, so I'm happy to hear when others use it, too. I've often wondered why it got so little attention. When I switched to Android I missed the keyboard and Autotext/Word sub and was surprised that no one ever talked about it, but then found (in my informal surveys) that Blackberry users don't really know anything about it and didn't know what I was talking about. I then started looking for the same feature to use in Word (other than Quick Park/Autotext) and found it - do you know about ActiveWords? You'll wonder how you lived without it!
    10-24-14 05:30 PM