I have this app installed on my Z10. I just finished watching a video by cybersecurity expert Gary Miliefsky saying that flashlight apps can steal private info. Supposedly you can tell by the file size. If it's very small it's ok. The file size of this app is 2.1 MB, so I am very worried. How do I know if it's ok?
    10-15-14 01:06 PM
    It's not really about the size, more about the permissions the app requests... if you find a flashlight app asking for permission to read your media files, contacts and more stuff , and requests internet access then you should be worried..

A flashlight and compass app should basically request permission for (camera, gyroscope sensor, gps) and also the "device identity" for statistics about download counts and for pushing updates..

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.634
    howarmat likes this.
    10-15-14 01:10 PM
    Wow! I had a lot of cleaning up to do, because I allowed a lot of my apps to access shared files, contacts, take pictures etc. So if I understand this correctly, once I deny permissions I am safe? The video said that even if I delete the app, the app might have installed a spy program, and the only way to get rid of that would be to do a factory re-install.
    10-15-14 01:48 PM
    Wow! I had a lot of cleaning up to do, because I allowed a lot of my apps to access shared files, contacts, take pictures etc. So if I understand this correctly, once I deny permissions I am safe? The video said that even if I delete the app, the app might have installed a spy program, and the only way to get rid of that would be to do a factory re-install.
    If you deny access to things like file access for apps like cb10, you won't be able to post pictures

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 01:50 PM
    I have this app installed on my Z10. I just finished watching a video by cybersecurity expert Gary Miliefsky saying that flashlight apps can steal private info. Supposedly you can tell by the file size. If it's very small it's ok. The file size of this app is 2.1 MB, so I am very worried. How do I know if it's ok?
    Why don't you just use the built-in flashlight and compass on your Z10. Then you won't have to worry about it at all.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    rthonpm likes this.
    10-15-14 03:04 PM
    This is a security issue within Android. With BlackBerry you don't really need to worry about it.

There is actually the possibility to hack your sim card, make it install a spy program on itself, which in turn can spy on you.
    There is also the possibility to hide a program within flash memory that cannot be deleted, detected or recovered.
    You can then run such a program outside of the OS. No trace whatsoever.

There are many scary things possible. If you want to get paranoid, you can look at BlackHat and Defcon talks. They are brilliant

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    10-15-14 03:13 PM
    if you find a flashlight app asking for permission to read your media files, contacts and more stuff , and requests internet access then you should be worried..

A flashlight and compass app should basically request permission for (camera, gyroscope sensor, gps) and also the "device identity" for statistics about download counts and for pushing updates..

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.634

BlackBerry 10 apps don't request the Internet t permission anymore. Seems BlackBerry hid the permission post 10.2.

Camera permission + Internet = webcam.
    Without being able to block the Internet permission, any seemingly innocent offiline app (contacts imex for example) could be stealing /uploading your info without your knowledge.

Only way to know would be to check device monitor to see if the app is using an unusual amount of data. (more than 0kb for apps assumes to be offline.. )
    10-15-14 03:26 PM