I have been frustrated by no wifi calling on the OS for Passport as of June 2015. However, wifi calling works beautifully on Whatsapp - saving me from leaving Blackberry...
    06-29-15 02:44 PM
    It's not exactly the same. How do I call a landline from WhatsApp? Someone who doesn't have WhatsApp with calling--by choice or lack of availability?

WhatsApp (and BBM!) calling are great options, but you need them installed on both phones.
    06-29-15 02:53 PM
    Indeed. Wifi calling will die once these apps are available to call a landline.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-15 03:53 PM
    I've used BBM Voice Calling to do the same thing. The same problem arises. What if they don't use the app? I've never used it, but my Android toting co-worker uses Fongo. You can call landline with Fongo.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=CA
    06-29-15 04:04 PM
    I've used BBM Voice Calling to do the same thing. The same problem arises. What if they don't use the app? I've never used it, but my Android toting co-worker uses Fongo. You can call landline with Fongo.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=CA
    Yep, Fongo works well.
    06-29-15 05:26 PM
    WFC, as on T-Mo (and I presume others) is 100% free within USA and calls to and from USA are free. (If you call other countries fees can apply) But you can call ANYWHERE from ANYWHERE. It's just like making a regular call. Except cheaper. Fongo is free-calling on a Canadian city by city basis. Not free overseas. "... you pay roaming costs internationally." Primarily Canada oriented at present (apparently you have to be living in Canada?).

Plus... "You can send and receive unlimited picture messages between Fongo numbers. You can send picture messages to non-Fongo numbers, the recipient will receive a clickable link to the image that can be viewed in a browser. MMS messages sent from a non-Fongo number to a Fongo number is not supported at this time."

None of this is an issue with WFC...

Review of Fongo - Canada VoIP Service
    06-29-15 05:53 PM
    Good to know scrannel. I never used it, but it was recommended to me as an option to reduce my phone bill. My coworker uses a bunch of apps on his Android for call and text so that he just buys a tablet data plan for cheap and uses it in his phone. Data is data so they can't really complain I guess.
    06-30-15 02:49 PM
    I have been frustrated by no wifi calling on the OS for Passport as of June 2015. However, wifi calling works beautifully on Whatsapp - saving me from leaving Blackberry...
    A type of limited WiFi Calling in that it is only WhatsApp to WhatsApp - why not use BBM Voice which has far superior call quality?

And for a fuller WiFi Calling Experience (eg to landlines!) you might consider the Skype app on your phone....
    06-30-15 02:59 PM
    I use Truphone for calling phone numbers via WiFi. There's a native app in BBW.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 03:19 PM
    A type of limited WiFi Calling in that it is only WhatsApp to WhatsApp - why not use BBM Voice which has far superior call quality?

And for a fuller WiFi Calling Experience (eg to landlines!) you might consider the Skype app on your phone....
    BBM has a much smaller user base than whatsapp. So the op may find everyone he ever needs to call has whatsapp.
    I agree Skype is better since it can call anyone but it's not free(only Skype to Skype, then would be as restricted as BBM imo). And from my experience and Skype on my Z10 it's really hit or miss and tons of crashing and killer battery drain. So from a bb10 point of view whatsapp and BBM are the better way to go.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 03:30 PM
    BBM has a much smaller user base than whatsapp. So the op may find everyone he ever needs to call has whatsapp.
    I agree Skype is better since it can call anyone but it's not free(only Skype to Skype, then would be as restricted as BBM imo). And from my experience and Skype on my Z10 it's really hit or miss and tons of crashing and killer battery drain. So from a bb10 point of view whatsapp and BBM are the better way to go.
    Yep. Fully understand where you are coming from.

Skype on my Passport is much better than it was on my previous Q10 (though I assume this is because of application/OS upgrades as opposed to hardware), and if necessary I manage the potential battery drain (though not had this since the last application and OS upgrades) by closing the Application Processes via Device Monitor (or re-booting the phone - haven't had to do this on the Passport, but did on the Q10) after conference calls (this means that I am not available for people to call me ad-hoc via Skype, but that's how I organise my Skype on all devices). As I already have monthly Skype subscriptions (because I use it so much for conference calling - the monthly subscriptions save me a packet) I don't incur any extra charges for calling from my smartphone.

I did strong-arm a group of friends into installing BBM onto their non-BlackBerry smartphones when we went on holiday together at the end of last year as we had problems with WhatsApp Voice Calls, and though BBM Chat worked well (which was of no real use, as we could have used our existing WhatsApp group), BBM Voice was unfortunately intermittently pants on the iPhones (Android & Windows Phone were fine - and the users commented on how better the call clarity was with BBM vs WhatsApp).
    06-30-15 04:46 PM
    Indeed. Wifi calling will die once these apps are available to call a landline.

Posted via CB10
    Its called a sip client and they already exist.
    Used in conjunction with an internet telephony service provider gets the best of both worlds.
    06-30-15 08:53 PM