Please forgive me if there is already a thread that answers this auction already in existence. I've searched CB and the Internet but not found an answer.

I have private locked broadband WiFi at home but often find myself at the coffee shop or elsewhere the offer a public WiFi Hot Spot. I know better than to use these if confidential information is involved with what your doing so I am not worried about that. I'm more worried about a hack exposing my data while on a Hotspot. I do use a device PW but if breached would encryption help?

Thanks fop your help.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 07:11 PM
    As far as I know, encryption protects the data on your phone, when it leaves your phone (on a hot-spot, wifi, whatever) it's not protected.

Posted via CB10
    Peter Johnson4 likes this.
    03-03-15 07:38 PM
    It is the data on the phone I am concerned about. Some of that is confidential.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 07:47 PM
    I thought the key for the encryption was on the phone. So was the data leaves or is stolen, its encryption is in tack. I'm no expert, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 07:51 PM
    Encryption only protects the handset, not your network transactions. For using any kind of public wifi, it's best to turn off wireless file sharing, even though this still requires a username (usually BlackBerry) and password to access files. It's a very small attack vector. The person would need the password you specify for file sharing, which can be different than your device password, and also know the specific sharing name of your device, which can also be changed.

Without file sharing turned on, you can only access files from a PC using Link that is on the same network.
    Attachment 338686
    Peter Johnson4 likes this.
    03-04-15 05:42 AM