Due to BES12 Cloud + BBM Protected and a desperate need for corporate instant messaging, I have decided to roll out BB10 devices to my employees.

I own a financial services business and have 17 traders and 5 administration staff. I started my business in 2011 and I've never had the need to issue out company phones. I know I'm going against the current 'BYOD' trend and that it's a hassle to carry around two phones however I'm not going to sit back any longer and see an ever-growing amount of sensitive work being stored on the same device that my employees give their kids to play games on during the weekend. Perhaps I should have done this a long time ago.

I am really unsure as to what specific device I should purchase, I'm leaning towards the Classic because messaging, email and document editing will be the three most used tasks. Most of my traders have HTC devices as their personal phones and the admin staff use iPhones - I'm the only BlackBerry user.

Ideally I would love it if I could give everyone a Passport and they spent time learning how to use it but the size makes it a big ask, especially considering most will also be carrying their personal phones. The new Leap is of course the most cost effective option but I can already hear the complaints about it being too difficult to type on compared to the touch-screens they are used to.

Any input would be appreciated, to summaries:

- Device is for BBM, Email & Documents
    - Apps are OneDrive, Bloomberg & Office
    - Employees currently using iPhone or HTC

How would you feel if your current employer gave you a Passport (for work use only except personal calls and texts)? Is the size and form factor too big to use unless you are a committed BlackBerry fan?

All comments welcome, thanks!

Storm 2 > Bold 9900 > Classic
    04-07-15 02:20 AM
    Q10 all the way. Best price and pkb!
    Office works great on the Q10 10.3.1

Posted via Q10Bold
    04-07-15 02:23 AM
    Due to BES12 Cloud + BBM Protected and a desperate need for corporate instant messaging, I have decided to roll out BB10 devices to my employees.

I own a financial services business and have 17 traders and 5 administration staff. I started my business in 2011 and I've never had the need to issue out company phones. I know I'm going against the current 'BYOD' trend and that it's a hassle to carry around two phones however I'm not going to sit back any longer and see an ever-growing amount of sensitive work being stored on the same device that my employees give their kids to play games on during the weekend. Perhaps I should have done this a long time ago.

I am really unsure as to what specific device I should purchase, I'm leaning towards the Classic because messaging, email and document editing will be the three most used tasks. Most of my traders have HTC devices as their personal phones and the admin staff use iPhones - I'm the only BlackBerry user.

Ideally I would love it if I could give everyone a Passport and they spent time learning how to use it but the size makes it a big ask, especially considering most will also be carrying their personal phones. The new Leap is of course the most cost effective option but I can already hear the complaints about it being too difficult to type on compared to the touch-screens they are used to.

Any input would be appreciated, to summaries:

- Device is for BBM, Email & Documents
    - Apps are OneDrive, Bloomberg & Office
    - Employees currently using iPhone or HTC

How would you feel if your current employer gave you a Passport (for work use only except personal calls and texts)? Is the size and form factor too big to use unless you are a committed BlackBerry fan?

All comments welcome, thanks!

===>> BBM and Email = q10 is enough
    ===>> Documents = need bigger screen, passport will be nice for simple document editing, or if small screen is enough, then classic will be much better for scrolling editing documents
    ===>> passport = depends on their daily usage, if they use their usage is on the field with busy environment, passport will be too big for one hand operating
    04-07-15 03:18 AM
    I agree Q10 is an excellent option as the Classic and Passport will not be cost effective. Even size wise the Q10 is excellent.

Posted via CB10 on the Q10 with OS 10.3.2.158
    04-07-15 03:22 AM
    I love the classic. I am issued this phone by my company. But I can also see the Q10 being cheaper. The classic is just an upgrade to the Q10 with the tool kit. (call/menu/pad/back/end) just as the Q10 being an upgrade to the Bold 9900/9930. But if you want the new operating system with all the new gadgets go with the Q10. Goodluck

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 03:53 AM
    A all touch blackberry can be very effective in typing. The way it puts words up for you to select is uncanny at times on what is there for you to use. It gets better with use.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-07-15 03:41 PM
    Go with leap..cost effective and they will soon find the touch keyboard far superior to there HTC
    04-07-15 03:44 PM
    Give them a choice. Create a web page or PowerPoint and detail the three or four devices they can choose from

Maybe you can get the devices and have them play a little with it before they make a choice.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 03:46 PM
    Leap or Z30, it's easier to type on BB10 rather than iOS or android

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 03:50 PM
    If they all have iPhones and Androids they would probably prefer an all touch.
    04-07-15 03:51 PM
    BES12 works great on non BlackBerry phones. It turns the BYOD device essentially into 2 devices and protects sensitive information. I am a big BlackBerry hardware fan, but unless you are concerned with productivity or the overall security of the hardware (ie from hackers etc) it is not necessary to have them carry 2 phones.

Should you wish to proceed with the deployment of BlackBerry hardware, an all touch device is ideal for those migrating from other all touch devices. Z10, or z30/leap will likely be best received by your staff, and the virtual keyboard is superior to the competition. The q5/q10/classic/passport is really meant for keyboard enthusiasts.

Again, it's not necessary to deploy BlackBerry hardware with BES12 unless the underlying security of the BlackBerry hardware or benefit from mobile device productivity is needed. Your concerns will likely be addressed just by deploying BES12 on a BYOD.

Posted via CB10
    mkelley65 likes this.
    04-07-15 07:07 PM
    Since the number of employees is not just 1 or 2, what I would suggest is give them options and let them choose. Coz taste can surely be different.
    Let Classic, Leap (New and have further life than old phones in terms of OS) and Q10 and Z30 be the options. As somebody said, if they can be given it for using a day or 2 and let them decide, that would be better.
    And A Red Passport - obviously for the Boss (Let The Boss Be The BOSS )

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 07:10 PM
    I personally buy the devices in our bussiness for our employees. When I made the switch what I did was gave them a choice of the passport and the classic. All the men picked the passport, most of them are in the field, and all the women picked the classic. The screen size wasn't as import to them as they have them hooked to there PC through BlackBerry Blend. All of them had Iphone when I provided them with a phone. Now even there children in college have purchased BlackBerry devices and all of them gave up there iphone after a short while. Good luck

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, LoneStarRed and potatoguy like this.
    04-07-15 07:12 PM
    Hello,
    I would give them the choice between the Q10 and the Leap.
    Regards

Z10 STL100-3/10.3.1.2708/CB10
    04-07-15 07:22 PM
    Have them try Passport, Z30, Leap and Q10. As a suggestion you can have the business buy the Leap, Z30 and Q 10 and split on the Passport. Don't be surprised if many choose the Passport.

Good Luck!

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    04-07-15 11:18 PM
    BES12 works great on non BlackBerry phones. It turns the BYOD device essentially into 2 devices and protects sensitive information. I am a big BlackBerry hardware fan, but unless you are concerned with productivity or the overall security of the hardware (ie from hackers etc) it is not necessary to have them carry 2 phones.

Should you wish to proceed with the deployment of BlackBerry hardware, an all touch device is ideal for those migrating from other all touch devices. Z10, or z30/leap will likely be best received by your staff, and the virtual keyboard is superior to the competition. The q5/q10/classic/passport is really meant for keyboard enthusiasts.

Again, it's not necessary to deploy BlackBerry hardware with BES12 unless the underlying security of the BlackBerry hardware or benefit from mobile device productivity is needed. Your concerns will likely be addressed just by deploying BES12 on a BYOD.

Posted via CB10
    I really wish there was some way I could securely give my traders access to work subscriptions on their personal devices but it's just too risky. I don't want my client list to end up being synchronised on someone's home computer when they try to add the new Coldplay album.

I already provide ThinkPad laptops and 4G routers so that I can implement a blanket 'No work anything on non-work devices' security policy. Everyone but me uses the train to and from work each day and I allow them to take time in lieu for work completed on the commute.

I don't even allow corporate email on personal phones because they have their laptops - I know this will be a welcome change on their BlackBerry's.

One of the biggest reason I'm doing this is because of BBM Protected and the ability to utilise this for all IMs rather than Microsoft Lync. When I saw how well BlackBerry Blend worked on a desktop environment my decision was made for me.

I know encryption and archiving is an optional extra for most businesses but it's an annoying regulated necessity for me. BBM Protected + BB10 Devices tick every box and allow me to finally give everyone access to email, messaging and documents on a mobile device.

I handed around my Classic today and everyone had a go at typing and using BBM - surprisingly the reaction was very positive especially when I said that they could use BBM to call in sick rather than make a call. They were also happy that they could use their work phones for unlimited personal calls and texts - several staff said they would replace their personal phones completely with a work BlackBerry. One of the admin staff commented about the new Passport she had seen on the weekend and I encouraged everyone to go onto the BlackBerry website and to compare.

I said that if staff wanted the Classic I could have it to them by the end of next week but if they wanted the Passport they would need to wait (Telstra only retail the Classic and I'd need to order the Passport). Everyone agreed the Classic would be the better device for messaging and emails - so the decision was made and an order for 22 BlackBerry Classic devices was placed with Telstra this afternoon.

Thanks for your comments and help.

04-07-15 11:56 PM
    Great choice!!! Hope they all like it

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 06:54 PM
    I think the z30 will do good for them u said they are coming from HTC and iPhone so the z39 is a perfect phone that they will enjoy u have all what u want there
    04-08-15 07:37 PM
    I would go for the BlackBerry Leap. If your employees use iOS and Android devices, that means they are used to all-touch devices. The Leap would be best, in my opinion, coming from those devices. It has a 5" display, excellent battery life and is the cheapest of BlackBerry devices!

Posted via CB10
    mkelley65 likes this.
    04-08-15 07:44 PM
    Well done OP! You can expect many to be "surprised" about how good BlackBerry is now.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    mkelley65 likes this.
    04-09-15 12:51 AM
    If you can still find Z30's kicking around I would go for those. But that aside, I would go for a touch screen device over a PKB for your staff only because they currently all use touch screen devices. The BlackBerry VKB is outstanding. It uses SwiftKey. I don't think you will get any complaints. If your staff are using the stock Android and iOS keyboards, then they will not have any issue with BlackBerry's.
    04-09-15 01:15 AM
    Have them choose between:

z30
    classic
    passport

q10 > iCrap
    04-09-15 03:34 AM