Hi all,

My first post here. Believe it or not I was a BB supporter even considering the failure or close to it that BB has had over the years. Using the Q10, software is okay nothing special, but the hardware is what I liked on BB (a physical keyboard/touchscreen combo). So my issue is as follows: My BB plugged into the PC for basic media management and I receive a call. Chatting with my friend and out of nowhere phone shuts off and Link is updating my phone. I figure, I've done software updates before so nothing wrong here, I'll just resume the call after it's done. Phone comes back to life and to my shock and dismay, my BB was wiped clean! F**K, F**K, F**K is my obvious initial reaction. F*********KKK! is my actual reaction when I realize my last backup was in March, 2014. That's nearly 2 years of contacts, passwords and notes just completely gone! I'm still devastated by this. As many would expect, I use this Q10 as an information hub for my home business. For most responsible people the solution is as simple as backing up your s**t as often as possible. Fine, I get it; hindsight is 20/20 and I should have backed up.

However, and this is my BIG HOWEVER; Should BB's Link software be allowed to randomly update/wipe data WITHOUT the consent of the user? Simple answer to me is, absolutely not! Am I wrong in thinking that it's definitely BB's responsibility to make sure their users don't go through the same torture I am going through by providing better fail safes? There should absolutely be many clear steps that any half-minded person would have to take before it is clear that YOUR DATA WILL BE ERASED, right?

Then the worst part of it all. BB tech support. The individuals themselves do a great job and I have no issue with them. It's just that at the highest level, the folks at BB have nothing, nothing to offer. Nothing to try beyond recovering an old backup that says to the customer "Our bad. Let us offer you X to make sure you are happy and we won't have to suffer the loss yet another customer leading to the impending final blow of BB's existence as a company!". Nothing. They do nothing. Curious, isn't it?

As for me. I'm through with BB. I'm out. They definitely no longer have my support. I will be cancelling ALL my services with Bell (my provider) as I feel they are associated with BB in this mess. It took me some time but it looks like I have to learn to type on a touchscreen (ugh).

My final task is to get a response in this forum. It is clearly of my opinion that there is legal precedence here. BB does nothing to "fix" their software as to not send their customers back to the stone-age. They especially do nothing to rectify after the fact. What do you guys think? Has this happened to you as dramatically and suddenly as it did to me? Have you ever felt this is a legal issue? Would anybody on earth besides me consider this "class-action" worthy? For the last time I want to make it clear: THERE WAS NO PROMPT TO ASK MY PERMISSION OR INFORM ME THAT MY DATA WAS TO BE WIPED.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
    12-21-15 01:46 PM
    can you prove anything?
    it is you responsibility to back up your data from your phone or pc
    12-21-15 02:34 PM
    Thanks for your reply.

I am aware of the backup portion being my responsibility. What I am saying is the one thing that's provable with BB is the wipes without any prompt/permission to do so. I see a lot of people with the same issue. It's just wrong, maybe even from a legal aspect.
    12-21-15 02:47 PM
    never heard of this issue before
    and if your phone it's wiped you have no proof so good luck to you
    12-21-15 02:55 PM
    Can't imagine BlackBerry would do so on purpose. Would be very strange if they did. You can read the disclaimer in the software but I can ensure you nothing illegal is happening.

But you know, nothing is perfect in this world - you'd be facing issues with Android or apple of whatever.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-15 12:14 AM