As the title says, I'm looking for advice on a data plan for a trip to the US. I'm coming from Canada and currently use a Priv. I need to run Maps on the trip and therefore think I need data to run it. Is the best option to buy a sim card or a burner phone? Any thoughts?
    03-24-17 08:44 AM
    I would consider buying a sim and data plan on something like Straighttalk. Relatively inexpensive, for $60 you would get the sim card and plenty of data.
    03-24-17 08:58 AM
    T-mobile has prepaid and pay as you go choices for short term use. They charge more for the sim at their stores, $25 US dollars versus $10 on their website.
    03-24-17 09:09 AM
    Pretty easy to find and buy prepaid cards.... might want to look at who has the best coverage for the area you are visiting.

Also might keep in mind that Google Maps now allows you to download map data for areas you plan to visit... for a brief time. That could save on data usage.
    1122334455667788 likes this.
    03-24-17 09:10 AM
    We always use the $7 a day plan with Telus and keep our same unlimited plan that we have in Canada. It basically just expands the coverage to North America instead of just Canada and uses the same plan you have.
    03-24-17 01:14 PM
    If you buy a prepaid sim, make sure it is compatible with your Priv. I would advise against getting a burner phone, because you would still need a sim kit anyway.

Do you know someone in the city where you are visiting? Maybe they can lend you a spare phone, and tell you what carrier they recommend.
    03-24-17 01:20 PM
    Pretty easy to find and buy prepaid cards.... might want to look at who has the best coverage for the area you are visiting.

Also might keep in mind that Google Maps now allows you to download map data for areas you plan to visit... for a brief time. That could save on data usage.
    The Google maps idea is a really good one. I'll be on the road ALOT. I'm driving from the West Coast, all the way east and eventually returning.
    03-25-17 07:35 PM
    If you buy a prepaid sim, make sure it is compatible with your Priv. I would advise against getting a burner phone, because you would still need a sim kit anyway.

Do you know someone in the city where you are visiting? Maybe they can lend you a spare phone, and tell you what carrier they recommend.
    It's more a road trip than anything else. I'll check the phone companies before I go. I guess most sims from AT&T or T-Mobile are compatible. I'll check for sure though.
    03-25-17 07:38 PM
    You can buy a Roam Mobility SIM card from Staples Canada for about $10, then setup an account on the website and choose a plan for use in the US.
    03-26-17 12:24 AM
    Roam mobile is a good option . What carrier are you with? Rogers Roam like home works alright
    03-26-17 01:21 AM
    Check with your carrier if they have an option for USA traveling.
    If not, Roam Mobility is the way to go.
    I have been using it for close to 4 years now and have no issues.

The only down side is you are given another tel. number to use.
    ( not really a bad thing if on vacation and don't want to be bothered anyway )

While driving, works great with Google Maps - my wife has the task of checking on road issues along the way and we make changes on traffic / accidents.
    ( have basic Tom Tom GPS )

Also enable Hotspot to share with the kids.
    ( They tend to get bored without Internet )

Posted via CB10
    03-26-17 05:43 PM