Have an iphone now. I was a long time user of blackberry phones. I'm thinking of buying the passport as my everyday device. What happens to my service or support if the company goes under???
    11-25-14 07:39 PM
    Have an iphone now. I was a long time user of blackberry phones. I'm thinking of buying the passport as my everyday device. What happens to my service or support if the company goes under???
    In short: they won't go under. They are sitting on billions in cash and are finally no longer bleeding money (not quite profitable yet, but no longer losing money and next quarter should be their first profitable quarter in a while). It was a concern a year or two ago, but no longer. Their stock is more then double what it was this time last year, which shows investor confidence is returning.

Honestly though, they could stop selling handsets tomorrow and still survive as a company thanks to all their software and licensing deals. They are a lot more then a handset hardware manufacturer.
    11-25-14 07:45 PM
    If the company goes under... I guess you made a poor choice to come back.,,,,
    11-25-14 07:48 PM
    If the company goes under your BlackBerry will turn into a pumpkin at midnight.

Or...

Nothing will happen to your BlackBerry and it will still work like the day you bought it. Could go either way.

But really....why is anyone even asking this question? Do you ask that about Apple?
    stevepar likes this.
    11-25-14 07:56 PM
    I just came back to BlackBerry after a 2.5 year hiatus with iphone. Picked up a Z30 and I'm really happy I did. It is my only phone as I'm not a SIM switcher. I also picked up a used 64gb PlayBook a few days later as my 32gb wouldn't turn on when I went to dust it off.

VERY happy with the Z30. NO regrets and I do not miss my iPhone 5. At all. Now the PlayBook is more of a 'toy' or secondary tablet. My iPad Air gets the majority of my tablet usage as it simply works better. The PlayBook has come a long way since I packed it away but its still not 'there'...and never will be. But BB10 and the Z30 for me is a home run. Go forit, my guess is you'll be bappy, especially as a past BB user.
    11-25-14 08:08 PM
    Came from iPhone as well 16 yrs old really wanted z10 went and got it don't regret it for a minute. Best investment I have ever made. Personally I don't think blackberry will ever go out of business

Posted via CB10
    stevepar likes this.
    11-25-14 09:43 PM
    There's a higher chance of me being hit by a car than BlackBerry going under
    11-25-14 09:54 PM
    Doesn't seem to matter as you already apparently own a number of different devices judging from the last few hours of posts. Might as well keep buying them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141125_230515.png 
Views:	869 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	316970

Name:	IMG_20141125_230424.png 
Views:	712 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	316971

Name:	IMG_20141125_230217.png 
Views:	704 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	316972

Name:	IMG_20141125_230038.png 
Views:	705 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	316973

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    11-25-14 10:08 PM
    Doesn't seem to matter as you already apparently own a number of different devices judging from the last few hours of posts. Might as well keep buying them.

Name:	IMG_20141125_230424.png 
Views:	712 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	316971

Name:	IMG_20141125_230217.png 
Views:	704 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	316972

Name:	IMG_20141125_230038.png 
Views:	705 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	316973

Crackberry question is just a generic poster that anyone can make anonymously online.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 10:13 PM
    In short: if blackberry starts bleeding again it will be a while before they go under. It would take at least two years, and then the only big problem would be a lack of security updates for your phone and no easy upgrade path to a new phone. Given the amount of security your phone already has, it is unlikely this would be a big deal. So the major in convince would be that you'd have to export all your contacts, texts and emails to non BlackBerry phone when it is time to upgrade! Bbid and BBM would get bought out by some other company, so don't worry about that, although there is a small chance they wouldn't.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 10:18 PM
    Crackberry question is just a generic poster that anyone can make anonymously online.

Posted via CB10
    Lmao. I've been reading CrackBerry forever and never new that. Was wondering why there were so many posts which I just noticed recently under that username.

11-25-14 10:21 PM
    Well, I don't believe there will be a company breakdown. Blackberry Passport/Classic will be the devices that will recover BB situation. Maybe it won't reach a Samsung, Apple, Sony status, but the company won't go under and will be kept by a good quantity of people. So don't worry.
    11-25-14 10:27 PM

Oh, I "appeared" on a screenshot...
    11-25-14 10:29 PM
    BlackBerry is going to be around for a long, long time but if for some crazy reason they aren't, someone will either swoop in and take them over for all of their intellectual property or companies will be making direct appeals to BlackBerry users to "trade in " to win their business, either way, why worry about a distant future when you will be so much happier now while you wait for something that might never happen? Live life to the fullest I say. Love your phone!

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 10:39 PM
    Well, I seriously doubt BlackBerry will go under. Worst case scenario, you still have an awesome Smartphone.....that happens to be a BlackBerry.

Q10_OS >10.3.1.1154 / 1155 Radio
    11-25-14 10:40 PM
    You die

Via Z10
    mad_mdx likes this.
    11-25-14 10:44 PM
    BlackBerry is on track to become profitable again even without their handset business. And though their focus is currently on enterprise, business, and government customers, handsets are still an important part of their end-to-end mobile security strategy.

Am I saying all is well and there's nothing to worry about? Of course not. That would be foolish.

But they are doing much better than they were a year ago and are on a good path now. I'm confident they'll still be selling phones a year from now.
    Sent from my Lumia 822
    11-25-14 10:52 PM
    How long do you keep devices? It seems like the iPhone churn, at least in the U.S., is every two years, if not every year. If you get a new iPhone every two years, you should be fine with a top of the line BlackBerry for two years. By then, you can get a newer BlackBerry or something else if BlackBerry goes under or stops making phones.
    11-25-14 11:41 PM
    They could go under. If that happen then you are screwed. But then they may never go under and you can sit on the sideline and watch us enjoy the Passport.
    Tough call for you. Good luck!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    11-25-14 11:57 PM
    Unlike legacy OS devices BlackBerry 10 devices can operate without BIS nor BES. Besides, many Android apps run on BlackBerry 10 devices. I suppose that I could continue to use my BlackBerry 10 devices even after BlackBerry Limited goes under.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 07:24 AM
    Service will remain the same. Support will depend on where you purchased the phone.

This happened to Nokia users in 2011. In 2010, they were the biggest selling smartphone company, and the next biggest player wasn't even close. In February 2011, their CEO doubled down on Windows Phone (their previous OS was called Symbian), which nobody wanted, leading to the eventual demise and sale (to Microsoft). Nokia died a slow death, but even today you can find a thriving community of users who stick to their Symbian devices, which still have superior build quality to most phones sold on the market.

The point is, smarphone companies going out of business is not just probable, it's going to be the norm as the market continues to mature. If you like the Passport, get the Passport. The phone isn't going to suddenly break if BlackBerry disappears (which looks less likely each week as they become more efficient money-wise). Get it while it's on sale, try it out for a couple of weeks (hide the iPhone during this time), and then come back and let us know how it went. If you like it, great. If not, great, sell it for more than you paid for it.
    11-27-14 12:31 AM
    You explode

Via Z10
    12-24-14 04:52 PM
    If the company goes under then the security and cryptologic circuits are programmed to either melt your phone or blow it up. It depends on the model. All in all not bad to have a cool Mission Impossible like device.

Merry Christmas.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    Last edited by LoneStarRed; 12-24-14 at 09:52 PM.
    12-24-14 06:39 PM
    it is just a phone. my first nokia 5110 doesn't work any more not because the phone is dead but because the sim doesn't support by sprint anymore. the second phone motorola startac still works if i choose to.
    12-24-14 08:43 PM