Hi,

First time poster here.

From what I know, (nearly) all of Verizon's 4G phones come SIM unlocked. I was wondering if I could switch from Verizon to T-Mobile while keeping my Verizon Priv (which I have paid in full). I can't find any information on this, and thought it would be helpful to ask CB forums.

Thanks
    06-24-16 10:02 AM
    Verizon phones haven't been GSM locked for a couple years now. The problem is GSM band coverage. Band 12 will be missing which is increasingly important for fringe coverage and in buildings. In addition you may have to manually change APN settings on the phone. I had to do that to get a Verizon LG G2 working on Tmob.
    Hi,

First time poster here.

From what I know, (nearly) all of Verizon's 4G phones come SIM unlocked. I was wondering if I could switch from Verizon to T-Mobile while keeping my Verizon Priv (which I have paid in full). I can't find any information on this, and thought it would be helpful to ask CB forums.

Thanks
    I believe you need an unlocked (non-verizon) Priv, they might be SIM-unlocked but the radios are a little different. I can't take my Verizon LG G3 or Z10 if I want to switch; try T-mobile's compatibility check and it will tell you whether you're able or not.
    06-24-16 10:38 AM
    06-24-16 10:41 AM
    Verizon phones haven't been GSM locked for a couple years now. The problem is GSM band coverage. Band 12 will be missing which is increasingly important for fringe coverage and in buildings. In addition you may have to manually change APN settings on the phone. I had to do that to get a Verizon LG G2 working on Tmob.
    06-24-16 11:41 AM
    Yes, you can use a Verizon Priv on T-Mobile. To put it in perspective, without band 12 it's as compatible with the T-Mobile network as the Z10 and Q10 T-Mobile sold.

Band 12 is not necessarily a must-have if you're in a large city, or your market has had T-Mobile coverage for a while (>3-4 years.) But if you're in a market T-Mobile just expanded into, you're going to need band 12 not just for data, but calls as well.

What you may want to try is get a T-Mobile SIM card and test the network out. They're $5 at Best Buy and I think Walmart as well, and I believe they come with some nominal talk time. And I believe T-Mobile has whitelisted speedtest.net; you might be able to do a speed test too without a data plan.
    06-24-16 04:26 PM