hi guys , maybe its a dumb question but i was thinking maybe some day BB decides to release an update and change the os of BB 10 devices to android , is this possible ? can an update (ota or ...) change the os?
    thanks for ur answer
    01-17-17 05:11 AM
    nope. the BB10 devices can't run the Android OS
    01-17-17 06:41 AM
    hi guys , maybe its a dumb question but i was thinking maybe some day BB decides to release an update and change the os of BB 10 devices to android , is this possible ? can an update (ota or ...) change the os?
    thanks for ur answer
    Is it possible? Yes, anything is possible with enough hammers. However, see below....

Has it happened? Not that I know of. Other than flipping OS's on computers, I know of no smart phone devices that the manufacturer flipped to a different OS system on a same device.

Will it happen? Most likely not. This is because the device hardware is normally made to except a specific OS and OS's are meant for specific hardware types. While its trivial to take a Windows PC and convert it to Linux, or take a MAC and convert to Windows, it is nearly impossible to take a iPhone and convert it to Android, or in this case BB10 to Android.

Firstly, the device manufacturer would either have to do the conversion all in-house or release the core system "BIOS" code to allow another company/person to create a compatible different OS.
    • The first scenario normally isn't cost effective as it is generally cheaper to just switch device hardware to match a OS instead of genetically modifying a current OS to be able to morph into a different OS that is tweaked to work with the current hardware.
    • The latter is extremely unlikely to happen..... trade secrets, IP, and all that stuff.
    01-17-17 06:56 AM
    Chen might do it if you gave him a cheque for $10 million dollars.
    01-17-17 07:25 AM
    If you check around a bit on the forum you'll find that this has been discussed to death.

There's just NO incentive for BB to do this.
    01-17-17 08:28 AM