I work on an oil rig in the North Sea and we (staff) are only allow one device on the wifi network. I chose my BlackBerry Z10 and I love the device and I hope there will be a new Z10 available soon with even more battery power and a faster chip. And please a better camera.

Lately I started to bring my laptop with me as I had to write some long letters and emails. Now there is a problem. I want to use my Z10 as a internet-tethering but when I turn try to switch in on my Z10 tells me to turn on my mobile network which I turned off as I am from the the coast and we don't have any network coverage. So I try and switch on the mobile network and still the Internet tethering doesn't work because it can't find a network.

I just want my Z10 to work with the wifi that on board the rig. All my colleagues have Samsung or IPhone and guess what they have no problem with tethering the wifi to their laptops. BlackBerry please solve this problem asap. Can anyone help me with this problem???

Regards,
    Ralph

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 05:03 AM
    Not sure about a Z10 - but you definitely CAN with a Q10
    (last week a friend's iPad Mini would not connect to a restaurant wi-fi - but I could connect with my Q10, so she used my Q10 as a Mobile Hot-Spot - the browsing on the iPad was quick, so it must have been via the restaurant's Wi-Fi as I did not have 4G enabled)
    07-14-14 07:22 AM
    Try using your Z10 as a mobile hot spot instead of the internet tethering mode. However, my mobile hot spot is dependent on my plan with Verizon. You may have to check with your carrier to get it activated.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.2039
    07-14-14 07:23 AM
    No. Though I wish for such an option

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 07:32 AM
    This may be a dumb question, but why tether on wifi. Can't you just log into the rig's wifi directly from the laptop. Seems going through a phone is an unnecessary added step.

Posted from my awesome Q10
    07-14-14 10:15 AM
    This may be a dumb question, but why tether on wifi. Can't you just log into the rig's wifi directly from the laptop. Seems going through a phone is an unnecessary added step.

Think of it as if you have a PC with no WiFi adapter, while your phone is on WiFi and you want to browse on the big screen

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 02:56 PM
    Think of it as if you have a PC with no WiFi adapter, while your phone is on WiFi and you want to browse on the big screen

Posted via CB10
    Ok got it sorry.

07-14-14 04:50 PM
    Maybe you could get some software to spoof your phone's mac address.

Buddha Stories - C0038CC70
    07-14-14 05:11 PM
    No. Though I wish for such an option
    Your answer is specific to the Z10?
    07-14-14 05:24 PM
    Because I'm on a oil rig and I'm am only allowed to add one device to the rigs wifi network. They add your mac address to the network. I use my blackberry but sometimes I need a big screen and I would like to use the Z10 as a tethering device to connect my laptop.

When I go to settings and switch on tethering is says my network is off and the phone wants me to switch it on which will not work as were are far away from the coast and don't have any coverage. The other guys on the rig using android and I-phones have no problem doing this. It's bad engineering and blackberry should do something about in their next OS update.
    07-29-14 07:25 AM