I work at a college as a part-time student, within the IT department. As with most IT departments, we are buried deep within the bowels of the school, meaning that no one in our office has cell service, barring those signed with Rogers. I am currently with Koodo ($20 plan, not interested in switching), on a Blackberry Z30.

Is there any way for me to receive text message and calls through WiFi while in the office? Preferably so that the person texting me just sends a text message as normal, which the app then somehow displays to me? Or is that not possible?

Let me know if I need to clarify anything!
    08-04-15 03:11 PM
    SMS (text messages) run on the cellular network. If you don't have cell reception, you won't get texts. However, the signal strength needed to receive a text is much lower than that needed to receive voice. If your cellular signal is not completely off, you could receive texts even if you can't receive voice. It really comes down to what level of reception, if any, you have down in the dungeon.
    08-04-15 03:29 PM
    With blend you could always leave your phone in a coverage zone, secured. And access it from your wifi only zone and still send/receive texts. You would also get notified of incoming calls.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure it's not possible without giving your mobile number to a third party service that would then send you your texts. I have no idea which services those would be but they must exist and have android apps available or a webapp that you could easily access on your BlackBerry over wifi.

Posted via CB10
    dalight13 likes this.
    08-04-15 03:31 PM
    On my carrier i've got an app that handles that very well. (TuGo on O2) I know Tmobile has an app. Maybe Koodo has one?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    08-04-15 04:46 PM
    In theory, it's possible. Your carrier just have to forward sms so that you can receive it. in practice, not that easy.

As stated before, BlackBerry blend can be a workaround.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-15 04:52 PM
    T-mo has wifi-calling. You can shut off your cell radio and receive and send SMS, make and receive voice calls, as long as you have wifi. No app required -- on either end. I thought some Canadian carriers also had wifi-calling.
    08-04-15 09:49 PM