Hi there,
    I am a first-time Blackberry user. I am basically looking for a good Qwerty non-touch keyboard, a battery that lasts long, with some wi-fi enabled smartphone features (need-based 3G browsing, Whatsapp, maybe Facebook), and I am not fussed about apps, games, the camera, watching videos, or a 'happening' phone. I understand a 'conventional' Blackberry is likely to suit my needs although I do wish it were cheaper.

Could you tell me whether the Q10 (which appears to be the cheapest Blackberry with the features I need) has the following:

1. A ring tone that is loud enough to be heard over a conversation at a gathering, or from the next room in a place that's not entirely quiet

2. Will I be able to compartmentalise wi-fi availability from 3G provided by the service provider *selectively* on the Q10, that is, switch from wi-fi to 3G but choose to use only email and not other non-critical functions like, say, Whatsapp? This is because, when I make this switch from wi-fi to 3G, I don't want anything other than email to remain remain 'alive' and drink up chargeable data download from the service provider.

3. Does the Q10 support Skype, Viber and Whatsapp?

4. Will the alarm ring if I leave the phone on silent mode?

5. Does a Q10 purchased in another country need code-cracking?

6. Will the screen remain 'alive' or keep switching off to conserve battery and require some sort of logging in to know if there are missed calls and messages

Thank you for your time and help.
    01-08-15 09:42 PM
    Hi there,
    I am a first-time Blackberry user. I am basically looking for a good Qwerty non-touch keyboard, a battery that lasts long, with some wi-fi enabled smartphone features (need-based 3G browsing, Whatsapp, maybe Facebook), and I am not fussed about apps, games, the camera, watching videos, or a 'happening' phone. I understand a 'conventional' Blackberry is likely to suit my needs although I do wish it were cheaper.

Could you tell me whether the Q10 (which appears to be the cheapest Blackberry with the features I need) has the following:

1. A ring tone that is loud enough to be heard over a conversation at a gathering, or from the next room in a place that's not entirely quiet

2. Will I be able to compartmentalise wi-fi availability from 3G provided by the service provider *selectively* on the Q10, that is, switch from wi-fi to 3G but choose to use only email and not other non-critical functions like, say, Whatsapp? This is because, when I make this switch from wi-fi to 3G, I don't want anything other than email to remain remain 'alive' and drink up chargeable data download from the service provider.

3. Does the Q10 support Skype, Viber and Whatsapp?

4. Will the alarm ring if I leave the phone on silent mode?

5. Does a Q10 purchased in another country need code-cracking?

6. Will the screen remain 'alive' or keep switching off to conserve battery and require some sort of logging in to know if there are missed calls and messages

Thank you for your time and help.
    1) Yes

2) sort of

3) yes

4) yes

5) yes if by code cracking you mean unlocking.

6) 10.3.1 gives the ability to wake up screen on notification arrival. Remember you've always got the LED too

Posted via CB10
    NewbieOnBlackberry likes this.
    01-08-15 09:47 PM
    The Q10 should satisfy all your enumerated needs except for No. 2. There's no easy way to selectively allow and prevent individual apps from accessing your mobile data and wifi data.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 10:02 PM
    Thank you.

Could you elaborate on point 2?

Is there some way I can set the phone to a 'woken up' screen when there are pending notifications (which may be through waking hours)? Is this what the LED does? Would this badly hit battery longevity?

Would you have any cheaper Blackberry in mind for my specs?

I have not mentioned that I am tech challenged so my questions may appear very elementary. Apologies if this looks like a waste of time.
    01-08-15 10:03 PM
    Thank you.

Could you elaborate on point 2?
    Are you the OP?

Yes, you could switch off other processes by eliminating it from the background, but wouldn't that be a hassle every time you decide to switch b/w WiFi and data? Lest you have the Settings open 24/7.

Is there some way I can set the phone to a 'woken up' screen when there are pending notifications (which may be through waking hours)?
    The LED blinks for 30 minutes max and the unread notifications show up on lock screen.

Is this what the LED does? Would this badly hit battery longevity?
    The LED doesn't affect the battery!

Would you have any cheaper Blackberry in mind for my specs?
    For the functionality you mentioned, a Q5 would do the trick as well. However, a Q10 is better looking and performs better as well along with a softer keyboard.

You're free to ask questions. Everyone is/was a noob at some point!

 Q5SQR100-2/10.3.1.1154 
    01-09-15 12:01 AM