first off I will apologize if this is not the right place to ask this, and for most here the answer will be blatantly obvious but before I spend a pile of money I just want to be sure!

I am about to buy a new phone for my 17 yr old and I have never dealt with ordering a factory unlocked phone online before. My son is upgrading from an old iPhone 4 and he wants a Sony Xperia Z3 (the PS4 remote play is important lol )and instead of going to Telus, signing a 2-year contract and having to pay more than twice for a equivalent plan to what he has I want to just buy a phone outright.

is it just as simple as buying the phone (direct from Sony.ca) and a new sim card from Telus? As I said I have never done this before - I have always dealt with in-store reps so I would like to make sure it'll work before I drop over 700 bucks!

(and for the record I am a diehard Blackberry user, as is my wife but we couldnt convince him to switch, we tried lol. )

Thanks for your help!
    03-13-15 12:57 PM
    first off I will apologize if this is not the right place to ask this, and for most here the answer will be blatantly obvious but before I spend a pile of money I just want to be sure!

I am about to buy a new phone for my 17 yr old and I have never dealt with ordering a factory unlocked phone online before. My son is upgrading from an old iPhone 4 and he wants a Sony Xperia Z3 (the PS4 remote play is important lol )and instead of going to Telus, signing a 2-year contract and having to pay more than twice for a equivalent plan to what he has I want to just buy a phone outright.

is it just as simple as buying the phone (direct from Sony.ca) and a new sim card from Telus? As I said I have never done this before - I have always dealt with in-store reps so I would like to make sure it'll work before I drop over 700 bucks!

(and for the record I am a diehard Blackberry user, as is my wife but we couldnt convince him to switch, we tried lol. )

Thanks for your help!
    As long as the phone is factory unlocked, the sim should be no problem.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 01:21 PM
    Yes, it's as simple as that. However...before you buy the phone, you need to make sure it has all the bands for your carrier of choice (and maybe other carriers too, if you see yourself switching, down the road.)

Buying from sony.ca should go ways to make sure the phone will work and luckily Telus doesn't have any uncommon (Canada-wise) bands so you should be ok. For now, you should look for the following bands in a Telus phone: UMTS 850, UMTS 1900, LTE 1700 (band 4.) For good compatibility across other Canadian carriers, you may want to add the following bands to your parameters: UMTS 1700 (AWS,) LTE 700 (band 17,) LTE 2600 (band 8.)

And as BB Adict said, you want to make sure the phone is unlocked, or at least locked to Telus (in your case.) Just because you're buying from the OEM store doesn't guarantee it will be unlocked. Stupid, I know.
    03-13-15 01:47 PM
    thanks for the replies!!!

looks like it covers all the Telus specific bands

(copied from the website) Cellular and Wireless : UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV),1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHzGSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHzLTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 20)

and it is definitely factory unlocked

thanks for your help! much appreciated!
    03-13-15 02:33 PM