Hi,
    I am considering getting a blackberry instead of an android.

Next to English and German I will need Chinese (zhuyin aka bopomofo, no pinyin!) input, as well as Japanese input (preferrably a flick kind of input, may not be a choice with a hardware-keyboard model).
    I do not need a lot of features or stuff. I am looking for:
    - a solid phone that will not break on me
    - hopefully offers good security features (system encryption would be great, if BB10 has that?)
    - a really decent mailing app (hopefully somewhat, e.g. text-only and threading are important to me. Androids K9-Mail is not bad.)
    - seemless support for the above mentioned languages.

I would guess that BB should definately have the first three (correct me if I am wrong), but I am not sure about the languages. Can anybody share experiences? Model recommendations? I really like the idea of having a hardware keyboard, but that may not work well with the languages?

Thanks
    05-05-15 10:25 AM
    BlackBerry has the following device languages (with more coming in 10.3.2):

Can I get Chinese and Japanese typing / handwriting on BlackBerry?-img_20150506_102245.png
    05-06-15 12:24 AM
    Umaima_B_Dia: I highly doubt that there are only three input languages. I have been browsing around and found infos that suggest that both traditional Chinese (which you have in your picture) and Japanese are supported since 10.3.1. (on bbin.com)
    But.. how is this this hard to find out? Why is it not possible to easily find out what input language 10.3 supports? How is this even an issue with a phone that is supposed to cater to enterprises? International enterprises not allowed?
    05-06-15 02:41 AM
    Umaima_B_Dia: I highly doubt that there are only three input languages. I have been browsing around and found infos that suggest that both traditional Chinese (which you have in your picture) and Japanese are supported since 10.3.1. (on bbin.com)
    But.. how is this this hard to find out? Why is it not possible to easily find out what input language 10.3 supports? How is this even an issue with a phone that is supposed to cater to enterprises? International enterprises not allowed?
    Input languages are even limited on physical keyboards - Traditional Chinese and Japanese is not one of them. There is no uniformity between device language and input language choices.

I didn't say there are three input languages. I was assuming the OP meant the device language.

There is an alternate, less-ideal solution - Silent Keys.
    05-06-15 03:51 AM
    The question was about input languages. According to this article on bbin.in, bb 10.3.1 supports both of those.
    Can't post links, so just at bbin.in at the beginning of this. /2012/09/complete-list-of-supported-languages-on-blackberry-10-we-got-hindi-many-more/

"Input languages are even limited on physical keyboards." This sentence did not quite make sense to me. I expect them to be more limited on hardware keyboards than on software keyboards. However it seems that as of 10.3.1 some improvements have been made with more (input) languages available. You seem to have been denying this in your last post. On what grounds are saying that there are no Trad. Chinese and Japanese input methods available, where your own screenshot clearly shows trad. Chinese (as an option for what I do not know)?
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    05-06-15 04:22 AM
    Can I get Chinese and Japanese typing / handwriting on BlackBerry?-img_20150506_072256.png

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 06:23 AM
    I think he means that you can you have 3 input languages enabled at a time.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 06:24 AM
    I recommend the Z30 because of its process and quality. I'd say it's the 2ND best bb10 device with Passport as the best.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 06:26 AM
    Top 3 requirements are all available and you won't need an email "app" it is integrated with the BlackBerry 10 OS called the hub.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 06:27 AM
    Thanks David.
    I see Zhuyin as well as trad. handwriting is available, which is great. I presume the same goes for the different variations of Japanese input.
    I was looking at the Z10, since I liked the size my old HTC One S had (4.3"), and found my Nexus 5 (5.1" I believe) slightly too large (not a fan of two-handed phone use).

How would you weigh the z30 against the z10? Both should have the newest version of BB10, and thus the same software features I presume.

Hardware keyboard seems really nice to have, but with zhuyin and especially Japanese input it might suck real bad. So I'll probably go for a touch, which means z10, z30 or leap. Also, I find the password terribly bulky.

### EDIT###
    Never mind, I read through some of the other threads here concerning z10 vs z30.
    Last edited by compul; 05-06-15 at 11:57 AM.
    05-06-15 08:13 AM
    Z30 contains extra little features like USB on the go, miracast, paratek antenna, natural sound speakers, much better battery life and a significantly better cpu+gpu. Gpu adreno 225 of leap and z10 vs adreno 320 of the Z30.
    Software is essentially identical that is correct.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 02:46 AM
    If performance is not a huge concern and it will be a performance drop from a Nexus 5 to Z10. While Z30 will be less noticeable of a drop.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 02:49 AM
    Dave,

I am about to get an Blackberry Classic and I believe it is the version 10 OS. It seems like the Chinese/Japanese Input Methods already existed? Or do I still need to re-install the package as before? Thanks.

Eddie Yu
    07-21-15 04:04 PM
    Dave,

I am about to get an Blackberry Classic and I believe it is the version 10 OS. It seems like the Chinese/Japanese Input Methods already existed? Or do I still need to re-install the package as before? Thanks.

Eddie Yu

All languages are bundled with the device but during the first setup of the device it asks you which ones you want to unpack. I assume to save on memory. But the rest can be activated later without the need of any downloading...
    I'm answering this from memory, so I may be slightly off

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 04:28 PM
    New problems.

I think my OS or software was 10.3.2.??? After my blackberry "automatically" update my software to 10.3.2.668, one of the input method for Chinese disappeared, the Pinyin Traditional Font. Is there any way to recover this? and can one only have up to 3 input methods?

Eddie
    07-23-15 02:59 PM