overnight charging cause bettery life?
    05-31-16 02:16 AM
    I never charge over night. Long time charging is the number one reason for a short lifespan accu. I charge when and as long as I need it.
    05-31-16 02:22 AM
    Where did you get this from muellerto, are you quoting some source or is it your own try & guess conclusion based upon experience ?
    I'm asking because I've read on many CrackBerry forums that charging overnight was a proper not to say recommended practice applied by many users especially Z30... Well, I must said I'm one of them and still have top notch battery lasting for 16+ hours and no overheating on heavy usage, which I mean, is always.
    (and I've got my Z30 since first day release ! ).
    Never had to charge my device during daytime except perhaps once or twice max...

Z30, STA100-2 /10.3.2.2836
    05-31-16 03:35 AM
    I am using BlackBerry from last 3 years and continuously charging it every night, I am heavy user, so eats battery within a day. But in last 3 years, nothing happened to battery or charger. My brother also charges for whole night his BlackBerry Z30 from an year, no issues with that phone as well.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10
    marshalayy likes this.
    05-31-16 03:52 AM
    I always charge overnight. No issues at all. The battery is 'smart' meaning that when it's full it stops charging.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    marshalayy and DaFoxGrey like this.
    05-31-16 03:55 AM
    Where did you get this from muellerto, are you quoting some source or is it your own try & guess conclusion based upon experience ?
    I'm an electrical engineer

Every accu has a limited lifespan. All the time of it's use it's capacity reduces by chemical processes step by step. The more you come near to the end of the lifespan the more this effect has impact. After three years you can expect a loss of capacity of about 30% or more (or less), this depends on many factors.

The lifespan is often expressed by the number of charging cycles, 1000 or so. When you charge every night and all the night long this value will be reached after less than three years. May be you don't notice the loss of accu capacity immediately because your device still survives the day and then you charge again in every case. But you will detect this if you once can't charge. Being careful when charging the accu is still one of the best practices you can do with your device, especially when you can't replace the accu.

When I got my Z30 I had up to 3.75 days in the accu. This has reduced now, after three years, to three days but I'm still happy with that.

more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithiu...y#Battery_life , especially "Conditioning"
    05-31-16 07:25 AM
    Ok muellerto, link noted and thanks for the info. Will check that when in my spare time, cheers.

Z30, STA100-2 /10.3.2.2836
    05-31-16 07:33 AM
    The battery is 'smart' meaning that when it's full it stops charging.
    Oftenly heard. But stopping charging is indeed a difficult task, especially when the accu gets older and doesn't reach the expected values anymore, you must then include it's very specific degree of aging. Such systems oftenly work good for a while, but tend then to get more and more unadapted over the years. A good test is to check the temperature after eight hours of charging - when it's hot charging has definitely not stopped.
    05-31-16 07:34 AM
    Bought my Z30 a few days after it was first released and I charge it all night 99.9% of the time without any noticeable change or loss in battery performance.

�σя gσ∂ ѕσ ℓσνє∂ тнє ωσяℓ∂, тнαт нє gανє нιѕ σηℓу вєgσттєη ѕση, тнαт ωнσѕσєνєя вєℓιєνєтн ιη нιм ѕнσυℓ∂ ησт ρєяιѕн, вυт нανє єνєяℓαѕтιηg ℓι�є. נσнη 3:16
    05-31-16 03:46 PM
    Oh. I change up my phone every couple of years so I guess I don't have them long enough to measure degradation of the battery. Your knowledge is certainly extensive.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    05-31-16 04:33 PM
    overnight charging cause bettery life?
    MY Z30 is 3 years old and I always charge it overnight. Battery is still strong all day long. Sometimes I use my Playbook charger.
    05-31-16 09:20 PM
    One additional thing regarding charging overnight is that if your using bedside mode, if it's not also on charge, you cannot see the clock display.

I wake several times in the night and want to know the time when I do. You could say "well, get an alarm clock" but this phone IS my alarm clock. That's why BlackBerry gave us bedside mode.

I'm now just coming up to two years with this Z30 and can see no dramatic loss with the battery and I've charged it every single night during those two years for the reason mentioned above.

I am also confused regarding the poster above who said his Z30 was three years old. That surely ain't possible yet.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2836
    06-01-16 04:56 AM

I am also confused regarding the poster above who said his Z30 was three years old. That surely ain't possible yet.

BlackBerry Z30 review | CrackBerry.com

As an aside [apologies for the hijack] the review touts a micro sd capacity to 64gb. I'm currently using a 128gb card without issues. All on an almost 3 year old device.
    06-01-16 09:07 AM
    Damage done by overnight charging is a fallacy. The cells are rated for a minimum and maximum life charge cycle. The charger stops charging once it reads the proper amperage in the circuit which indicates the cells are full. The decay of the charge is so minimal is has virtually no effect on battery life span. If we were talking about niche or nmh batteries then there would be an issue has they have finite cycles and can develop bad cells or begin to not take a full charge.

This topic can be the subject of several pages.

I was an engineer on cordless products in another life.

Posted via CB10
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    06-01-16 10:26 AM
    Yeah; I have no fancy degrees to support my claim but I am reasonably certain the charging stops once the battery is at 100%. I charge my Z30 overnight frequently and when I prepare to unplug it afterwards, the phone is not hot, the battery is at 100%, the charging icon is no longer flashing. No indication that it just keeps blindly charging as long as you have it plugged in.

Richard
    06-01-16 02:24 PM
    BlackBerry Z30 review | CrackBerry.com

All on an almost 3 year old device.
    You've got getting on for half a year to go yet!!!!!

blackburberry likes this.
    06-01-16 03:30 PM
    Yeah; I have no fancy degrees to support my claim but I am reasonably certain the charging stops once the battery is at 100%. I charge my Z30 overnight frequently and when I prepare to unplug it afterwards, the phone is not hot, the battery is at 100%, the charging icon is no longer flashing. No indication that it just keeps blindly charging as long as you have it plugged in.

Richard
    Correct.
    The regulator is built into the device.
    Once the system detects the battery is fully charged, it goes into a float mode.
    In this mode, it shuts off the charge current and waits for the battery to dip below 100%, then turns it back on to top it off.
    It won't let the device "overcharge".

I keep my Z30 on a QI stand at night in bedside mode. (I have STA100-3 Verizon with built in QI wireless charging antenna and use a TYLT Vu charger)
    The regulator in the Z30 I have also manages the QI charge system, so when it is fully charged the regulator turns off the charge current, of which the smart QI charger I have detects and it also goes into a float mode. So the Z30 and the charge stand go float mode together.
    06-01-16 05:10 PM
    You've got getting on for half a year to go yet!!!!!

That's what waiting for updates does to you.
    06-01-16 10:18 PM
    Damage done by overnight charging is a fallacy. The cells are rated for a minimum and maximum life charge cycle. The charger stops charging once it reads the proper amperage in the circuit which indicates the cells are full.
    Yes. In the ideal case.

I already told that older accus normally tend to miss the expected values. When an accu is really old the current during the constant voltage phase will probably never sink below the expected limit defined for the accu when it was young. You can charge and charge but the current remains on a high level. This is also the reason for temperature. And the longer you do that the more the accu suffers.

This effect is well known from laptop computers which have been plugged in for some years while the accu was inserted. Charging all the lifetime. In some cases such accus are not even usable for an emergency computer shutdown when a power outage happens. - You can charge an accu in pieces, if you want, also modern Li-ion accus.

If someone doesn't have this until now, OK, then the charging mechanism still works correctly, stopping included, good.
    The decay of the charge is so minimal is has virtually no effect on battery life span.
    The decay is one major factor of the definition of the battery life span. An accu counts as dead when it can't hold a proper amount of energy. Other factors are internal chemical transformations and damages by temperature.
    If we were talking about niche or nmh batteries then there would be an issue has they have finite cycles and can develop bad cells or begin to not take a full charge.
    Absolutely.
    06-02-16 12:40 AM
    Totally with you on laptop batteries at least in older units; I have experienced this myself. Definitely not what I experience with my BB though.

Richard
    06-02-16 08:16 AM
    I charge mine overnight. There has been diminished battery life, but not huge. May just be an age thing. Can't say.

My 9900 however on the other hand, the battery definitely died in the same amount of time (2.5 years). Battery starting growing (getting fatter), and difficulty holding a charge. Bought a new one to replace it. Again, don't know if it had to do with charging, but I also charged it overnight.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    06-02-16 11:54 AM
    I never charge over night. Long time charging is the number one reason for a short lifespan accu. I charge when and as long as I need it.
    I have been charging my Z30 every night for almost two years now and the battery life is still pretty much the same as when it was brand-new. Sure, there will be losses, but its not noticeable at the moment and unless you want to keep using your device for more than 5 years or so, I think its safe to charge overnight.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    06-02-16 06:04 PM
    you can research this until you are blue in the face, repeat things verbatim as your own that you copied straight from wiki, fine. In a nut shell, if need a full charge every day, then plug it in over night, yes the device will control the charge coming in, if it didn't it would be hot in the morning, it isn't. If I have under 60% charge on my device, I plug it in overnight. Have been doing this for years. I have a torch that is 6 years old, plugged it in everynight when I went to bed and still goes multiple days on a charge. In everyday practice the things that hurt your battery life the most are heat, leaving it in a hot car or environment is damaging to the cells. Draining them to dead also causes damage to the cells as well that aren't recoverable. Play lots of games, music, videos, things that are cpu intensive will cause the device to heat up as well. But....the end all to end all...is this....did you buy the device to use it or see how long you can protect the battery for. Technical specifications aside, use your phone, charge it overnight, don't leave it in a hot car and you will have years of enjoyment out of your device by the time you will purchase your next one.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    06-08-16 07:59 AM