I am getting a new smartphone for work. I work as a consultant so I have a lot of e-mails, calls, messaging, BBM, and office documents (Word and Excel). I am trying to decide between the Q10 and the Z30. My first smartphone was a BlackBerry 8703e and I loved the physical keyboard. At first I was going to get a Q5 but since I saw that the price difference was not too large (and the Z3 isn't in Canada yet) that I would go all in as it were.

As for what I need now it is a toss up between the larger screen size of the Z30 for Word and Excel or the Q10 for the physical keyboard.

As a sort of tie breaker I recently got a 10.1" Dell Windows 8 RT tablet which I have been using for over two weeks. Yesterday I paired the bluetooth keyboard I have from my BlackBerry PlayBook. After less than a minute I realized that for what I was doing at that moment the touch screen keyboard worked better (I was not at a desk).

Also my current smartphone is a Sony Xperia S which has a 4.3" screen and I have no trouble typing on that. I am guessing on the BlackBerry Z30's 5" screen it would be even easier.

Thanks in advance for the tips and suggestions.
    07-27-14 09:34 PM
    Since you're comfortable typing on a touchscreen, it's a no-brainer: get the Z30.
    07-27-14 09:40 PM
    Trust me the Z30 is a beast of a phone,
    07-27-14 09:41 PM
    Z30 for sure. Faster n' bigger and wayyyyyyyyy better battery life too

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 09:43 PM
    Thank you I really appreciate the quick replies! I will double check the specs in the morning, but most likely it will be the Z30. I have to admit that I love the extra real estate with the larger screen.
    07-27-14 09:44 PM
    Thank you I really appreciate the quick replies! I will double check the specs in the morning, but most likely it will be the Z30. I have to admit that I love the extra real estate with the larger screen.
    Love the name, piggy
    07-27-14 09:47 PM
    Trust me the Z30 is a beast of a phone,
    Quick question. After looking at Adreno - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is the Adreno 320 in the Z30 the gen 1 or gen 2 version? It doesn't make a huge difference to me but gen 2 is 86.4/97.2 GFLOPS (depends on clock rate) vs 57 GFLOPS for gen 1. Either way gen 1 is still way more than Adreno 225 in the Q10 at 28.8 GFLOPS.
    07-27-14 09:50 PM
    Quick question. After looking at Adreno - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is the Adreno 320 in the Z30 the gen 1 or gen 2 version? It doesn't make a huge difference to me but gen 2 is 86.4/97.2 GFLOPS (depends on clock rate) vs 57 GFLOPS for gen 1. Either way gen 1 is still way more than Adreno 225 in the Q10 at 28.8 GFLOPS.
    Holy crap, you must think i know something, i don't get into the technical junk, i usually like to just get the device and see how it performs, i've had a lot of the phones out there right now and the Z30 is by far the best device i have had in years, i bought it the day it came out, someone else might chime in on the spec side of things,
    07-27-14 09:54 PM
    Z30 is the one to go with. Battery life is great!, screen real estate is great!, connect a blue tooth keyboard and a blue tooth mouse to the Z30 and presto!! Instant desktop. Connect USB stick (with OTG cable) directly to the Z30 and move,view and save large files on the USB drive. Stick a 64gig micro SD card and you can save all kinds of of things on it.
    You will not be disappointed...most people that I know have moved onto the Z30 from apple, android and even from on bb10 device and are hooked...try prying it out of their hands. Oh, need more apps, just grab the amazon app store (super easy) and there you go! All the apps you would possibly ever need. And so much more features that the list can go on......

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 10:00 PM
    Ack! Rogers is sold out of the Z30. They will call me back in a week in case they get more stock by then.

I might go with my original plan and this point and get the BlackBerry Q5 in this case. Koodo has it for $150 outright so I will just get Rogers to price match it. Plus the BlackBerry Passport is coming out by the end of the year so the Q5 will tide me over until the Passport comes out.
    07-28-14 12:42 PM
    Wait for the Z30, typing is faster once you get it. You swipe not type. Presentations using the HDMI cable are great. Store on phone connect to TV etc.
    NFC is great especially for getting coffees. Plus creating Tags. Really easy.
    I just found an app that allows me to print wireless to my office printers, right from my phone. Real time saver.
    Rogers was on Back order when I got mine. 3-4 weeks. It was worth the wait. Especially at $29 with a plan. A deal. Took me 4 weeks to get over the keyboard, once I did, I could never go back.
    Z30 has an antenna, connects automatically to local radio stations. No data, no Wifi required.

Love this keyboard. Swiping! It is faster than any keyboard. Read Crackberry every morning to get all the tips and tricks.

Posted via Z30. Don M
    07-28-14 06:36 PM
    I got my BlackBerry Z30! I had to go to 6 stores until I found one that had it in stock. Friday I had to leave for a trip so I could not wait for them to order it.

I have to admit going in my expectations were very high (I always do my homework), but the BlackBerry Z30 has completely satisfied and surpassed them! I am 100% satisfied and recommend BB10 and the Z30 specifically. I do have to admit that the Amazon Appstore being compatible with BB10 did factor into my decision. As well the Amazon Appstore officially supporting BB10 with 10.3 is icing on the cake.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 01:01 AM
    I got my BlackBerry Z30 and I love it! I wish I would have upgraded sooner.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 01:09 AM
    I got my BlackBerry Z30 and I love it! I wish I would have upgraded sooner.

Posted via CB10
    I'm guessing the typing on the Z30 smokes your previous phone?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-02-14 02:04 AM