Hi,

My blackberry Z10 STL-002 abruptly shut down a day ago, and I had to pull the battery out to get it to boot.

After that it went into restart loop. I tried charging it, didn't work.
    So the only way to get it to boot properly is to pull the battery mid-way through the boot and putting it back in to restart the boot.

After security wipe and upgrading to 10.3.1.2744 from 10.3.1.17xx, now if I press the power button to lock the screen, it shows shutting down count down and then if I press cancel/lock, it will do that action and in 3-4 seconds the reboot loop starts again.

Also, still reboots randomly, but is still able to boot sometimes.

But if it starts, it will run for a long time if I don't mess around with it too much, hence doesn't seem to be a battery issue.

Any clue as to what is going on here?
    05-04-15 05:54 AM
    are you pressing and holding when you use the top button? you just need to press it and back off. Any more pressure on it and the phone thinks you are rebooting
    05-04-15 06:31 AM
    Sounds like your power button is sticking in the on position. Is your phone in a case? If not, try wiggling the switch with your fingernail to make a bit of slack. If still no go, then I'll go out on a limb here and suggest maybe a spray with silicone lubricant - at your own risk!
    05-04-15 06:38 AM
    Hi, thanks for your responses.

jaydee5799: No, not holding it. just locking it, that small tap.

baarn: I thought so too, but it is clicking and doesn't feel like sticking.

The reboot loop goes as Blackberry Logo > Loading > Blackberry 10 > Blackberry Logo and off.
    05-04-15 07:06 AM
    Hmm. I still think it is the switch, but it may then be the internal part of it. Do you have any warranty on the device?

Maybe someone else will have some other ideas.
    05-04-15 07:14 AM
    Experiencing the same problem lately with my Z10, but have not discovered a fix. Appears to be a software issue as it happens randomly.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 07:19 AM
    baarn: I suspect the same. Here's why, there is the left side of the button that I press which will lock the screen. But clicking any other part will switch to the countdown screen. Now if I press the power button 2-3 when the countdown shows up it will lock the screen back, thereby aborting the restart process.

Strangely, this doesn't happen when I unlock the phone.

It's out of warranty now. So, I guess I need to diy it. Any tips?
    05-05-15 11:08 AM
    It's out of warranty now. So, I guess I need to diy it. Any tips?
    I haven't had to rip apart my z10 yet, so no direct experience from me, but an Internet search will reveal instructions and videos on how to do it.

Since your device is out of warranty it has been used for a while. Maybe some gunk has built up around the switch and is causing the problem. As an easy first step, try taking it apart and just cleaning the switch and the switch slot in the case. Maybe that's enough to fix it.
    eklavyamirani likes this.
    05-05-15 11:31 AM
    See how far you can get with applying rubbing alcohol around the switch opening using a q-tip. Before taking it apart.
    05-05-15 12:13 PM
    I had the same issue. Not sure it happened but it does not happen any more.
    05-05-15 03:43 PM
    Same problem with me...
    09-12-16 12:02 AM