Hello,

I've been wanting to upgrade my phone.

I'm looking into Blackberry Passport and it looks like an amazing device for TODAY'S world and perhaps TOMORROW'S too.

Now since I'd like to make most value of my new phone that means I'll have to keep a phone for a long time (at least 3 years).
    I always do that if I can.

I was wondering how long would passport be relevant?
    (being able to play newest mobile games is not important to me)

Also keeping in mind it has built in battery which will eventually wear off and will require some skills to replace it.

And there are phones with 64-bit processors on the horizon. Not sure exactly what advantage it will bring, since multitasking looks great on BB PP, but having a phone with 64-bit CPU should (logically) serve me longer.

It's been long since I've updated my phone and I wouldn't like but I also don't really mind waiting for another 6 months to see what MS Lumia flagship with windows 10 has to offer.

P.S. My priorities for mobile OS is: WINDOWS or BB OS. I could live with android only with a NOTE series phone.
    03-31-15 04:06 AM
    Those who have a Passport say is a marvelous device. You should give it a try!
    03-31-15 05:18 AM
    Hello,

I've been wanting to upgrade my phone.

I'm looking into Blackberry Passport and it looks like an amazing device for TODAY'S world and perhaps TOMORROW'S too.

Now since I'd like to make most value of my new phone that means I'll have to keep a phone for a long time (at least 3 years).
    I always do that if I can.

I was wondering how long would passport be relevant?
    (being able to play newest mobile games is not important to me)

Also keeping in mind it has built in battery which will eventually wear off and will require some skills to replace it.

And there are phones with 64-bit processors on the horizon. Not sure exactly what advantage it will bring, since multitasking looks great on BB PP, but having a phone with 64-bit CPU should (logically) serve me longer.

It's been long since I've updated my phone and I wouldn't like but I also don't really mind waiting for another 6 months to see what MS Lumia flagship with windows 10 has to offer.

P.S. My priorities for mobile OS is: WINDOWS or BB OS. I could live with android only with a NOTE series phone.
    These days hardware advances come so thick and fast that today's top-end hardware will be old hat in a year's time.

In my own opinion, the power and capabilities of the processor are not necessarily what makes a device desirable. A well-structured and efficient operating system with decent memory management, should keep a device current for several years, even on a fairly modest processor.

My own experience of BB OS10 has been that it is a well thought out operating system, designed to use hardware resources in an efficient manner. It is also now a couple of years old, so has already evolved to a certain level of stability and maturity, which makes it a good choice.

Personally, if I was going to wait for a Win10 phone, I would be inclined to give it a couple of years, and monitor early user experience reports, just to see if the OS really delivers in terms of efficiency and battery consumption.

I'm inclined to agree with jaydee.
    03-31-15 05:43 AM
    I have heard and seen great things about the Passport..it was a tough decision between that and my classic

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 07:03 AM
    In my own opinion, the power and capabilities of the processor are not necessarily what makes a device desirable. A well-structured and efficient operating system with decent memory management, should keep a device current for several years, even on a fairly modest processor.
    I agree. Once you get comfortable with the usability of the phone the longevity of that phone would really come down to battery life. to be honest I don't know how long the un-removable batteries would last. in the past you could always buy replacements.
    03-31-15 07:21 AM
    I agree. Once you get comfortable with the usability of the phone the longevity of that phone would really come down to battery life. to be honest I don't know how long the un-removable batteries would last. in the past you could always buy replacements.
    I'm not aware of any lifespan tests on the Passport battery, but as with most Lithium Ion cell phone batteries, it should be good for at least 250 to 300 charge cycles before you start noticing any drop in capacity. Of course that doesn't mean it won't work at all after that - it's capacity will just start to drop off gradually. I'd like to think that replacement batteries would be available from Blackberry, or even from 3rd party manufacturers.
    03-31-15 08:26 AM