I'm a college student looking for a new phone. Tired of android devices/software and I am not planning on getting an iphone. I feel that android devices are not suited for "work" but for mostly "play." I was planning on purchasing a Nokia Lumia 1525 or 1020 but my professor recommended a BlackBerry Passport . I've used a BlackBerry device before (Pearl) now I've been using Samsung devices. Is,the BlackBerry Passport a good phone for a college student? Do you recommend another BlackBerry device?
    11-10-14 09:10 PM
    As a student the Passport is definitely a great device when it comes to viewing documents such as lecture slides on powerpoint or reading emails sent out by Profs. However if you are not a fan of either ios or Android, and you are choosing between Windows and BlackBerry, I would take Windows. I love my Passport, however being a student not too long ago, I remember how important apps were for my study's.

BlackBerry is not getting Office apps like Excel,Word and Powerpoint. Sideloading the APK does not work as there are small issues within the app making it unusable (and you will have to keep dealing with work arounds constantly). So if you want a phone that just works and will have a growing ecosystem of apps then I say go with Windows.
    11-10-14 09:16 PM
    A professor recommended you the Passport?
    Where do you live? It's not US i bet.
    11-10-14 09:19 PM
    Agreed! Especially if you want attention besides all the great things it does!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1016
    11-10-14 09:19 PM
    MS office works flawlessly. I am using a 10.3.1 though. As does one Note.

Both my kids are in university and use Z10 and upgrading to passport.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 09:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    Can I be your kid?
    11-10-14 09:21 PM
    Windows if you're gonna be using their Words, PowerPoint and Excel. Unless you already have a laptop for those assignments, getting a passport as your phone is already a 2 in 1; phaboulous phablet! (see what I did there)

Posted via CB10
    MikeyJSydney likes this.
    11-10-14 10:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    When I press the space button on my passport it double spaces, essentially making excel and most other functions useless. Can you help me with a fix to this?

Posted Via My Passport From The Big T.O
    11-10-14 11:55 PM
    When I press the space button on my passport it double spaces, essentially making excel and most other functions useless. Can you help me with a fix to this?

People throw around the statement "works perfectly" or "works flawlessly" way too loosely around here. According to many, snapchat and instagram "work flawlessly" lol

11-10-14 11:57 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141110_230218.png 
Views:	704 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	313569
    And now I can't even sign in anymore.

11-11-14 12:03 AM

Name:	IMG_20141110_230218.png 
Views:	704 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	313569
    And now I can't even sign in anymore.

Have you tried documents to go. I love ms office but I don't see the need for it as docs to go has been great. But I also have a surface 2 and use that on occasion to work. But quick edits on excel and powerpoint docs to go has been great o and also have used the online version of ms office when on my z10 so give that a try. And let me know

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 02:12 AM
    I believe that even z30 is good due to its big screen productivity can be done with any blackberry device! Maybe is good a windows phone too due to its deep connectivity with onedrive-office-onenote

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 03:58 AM
    As a student the Passport is definitely a great device when it comes to viewing documents such as lecture slides on powerpoint or reading emails sent out by Profs. However if you are not a fan of either ios or Android, and you are choosing between Windows and BlackBerry, I would take Windows. I love my Passport, however being a student not too long ago, I remember how important apps were for my study's.

BlackBerry is not getting Office apps like Excel,Word and Powerpoint. Sideloading the APK does not work as there are small issues within the app making it unusable (and you will have to keep dealing with work arounds constantly). So if you want a phone that just works and will have a growing ecosystem of apps then I say go with Windows.
    I don't see what advantage WP has over BlackBerry when it comes to documents, I can edit, view and create word, excel, and pdf's and I can create presentations with BlackBerry Express and view pp presentations. Between docs to go and officesuite pro, all the bases are covered. As far as apps go, the passport has much more than WP due to the Android factor, Android apps run very well indeed on the pp and thanks to Snap, you've got access to your Android app purchases. The thing that really gives the passport the edge, aside from having your prof as a BBM contact, is the buttery smooth UI and the Hub. WP is good, but it just doesn't compare. Unless you're looking for the best camera ever.

Can't express my satisfaction enough with OfficeSuite pro. Incredibly smooth and easy to use.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    11-11-14 04:32 AM
    A professor recommended you the Passport?
    Where do you live? It's not US i bet.
    Hey, the prof could've been me.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Gykesdollars and bungaboy like this.
    11-11-14 04:51 AM
    I don't see what advantage WP has over BlackBerry when it comes to documents, I can edit, view and create word, excel, and pdf's and I can create presentations with BlackBerry Express and view pp presentations. Between docs to go and officesuite pro, all the bases are covered. As far as apps go, the passport has much more than WP due to the Android factor, Android apps run very well indeed on the pp and thanks to Snap, you've got access to your Android app purchases. The thing that really gives the passport the edge, aside from having your prof as a BBM contact, is the buttery smooth UI and the Hub. WP is good, but it just doesn't compare. Unless you're looking for the best camera ever.

Can't express my satisfaction enough with OfficeSuite pro. Incredibly smooth and easy to use.

I was using for a year wp and I was totally satisfied the deep integration with one note one drive and office is really years ahead. It's smooth really smooth for working specially with a big screen. Now on my z30 I can do everything really good and I'm still happy with it. But I still miss one note since I'm using it on my pc and tablet. I would love to see one note for BlackBerry or at list a note taking app that connects with one note

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 05:08 AM
    I was using for a year wp and I was totally satisfied the deep integration with one note one drive and office is really years ahead. It's smooth really smooth for working specially with a big screen. Now on my z30 I can do everything really good and I'm still happy with it. But I still miss one note since I'm using it on my pc and tablet. I would love to see one note for BlackBerry or at list a note taking app that connects with one note

Posted via CB10
    As I was given to understand in the forums, One note and Office 365 work on 10.3.1. I'm not running it myself so I can't offer proof unfortunately.

11-11-14 09:44 AM
    As I was given to understand in the forums, One note and Office 365 work on 10.3.1. I'm not running it myself so I can't offer proof unfortunately.

yeah I know that but the thing is that android apps are not really running smooth on blackberry devices, I don't know about passport though

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 11:46 AM
    yeah I know that but the thing is that android apps are not really running smooth on blackberry devices, I don't know about passport though

Posted via CB10
    On the passport, they are very smooth indeed. I had a Z10 before and the android apps were really quite clunky. On the passport, if you didn't know how to recognize an Android app on sight, you would be forgiven for thinking it's native.

11-11-14 11:54 AM
    On the passport, they are very smooth indeed. I had a Z10 before and the android apps were really quite clunky. On the passport, if you didn't know how to recognize an Android app on sight, you would be forgiven for thinking it's native.

To bad. Sadly Not everyone can afford a passport. I hope after the official release of 10.3.1 android apps will run smoothly on my z30

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 11:57 AM
    As I and a few others have mentioned in other threads, Office Mobile does not work flawlessly on my Passport, running 10.3.1.1016. The space bar always inserts two spaces instead of one. If I use predicted words, there's only one space, but I can't always use predicted words. Well, I could, but my writing would be limited.

Then again, I don't think any smartphone can really replace a laptop for a student. For note-taking, the Passport will be fine -- if your professor allows smartphone use in class. I don't.
    bungaboy and jason9900 like this.
    11-11-14 12:12 PM
    My 3 daughters are in University and ALL love their new Passports.
    11-11-14 12:24 PM
    How do you avoid this message trying to open ms office mobile?

Name:	IMG_20141111_215310.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	313817

Posted via CB 10 app from a glorious BlackBerry Passport
    11-11-14 08:53 PM
    How do you avoid this message trying to open ms office mobile?

Name:	IMG_20141111_215310.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	313817

Posted via CB 10 app from a glorious BlackBerry Passport
    If you have a word file, why not just open it in Docs 2 Go?

To the OP, if you can afford a Passport while in college you're well off than most.
    Passport should be great though.
    11-13-14 07:29 PM