If we use BlackBerry through office wifi, can anybody at office see what are we doing with our BlackBerry and how much data and how much duration we use our BlackBerry in internet and without internet??

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 03:38 AM
    I don't know if this is hacking, but yes, the owner of the hotspot can monitor any connected devices.

After, if you use encrypted communications, you should be protected.

Posted via CB10 from my Passport
    02-06-15 04:06 AM
    I don't know if this is hacking, but yes, the owner of the hotspot can monitor any connected devices.

After, if you use encrypted communications, you should be protected.

Posted via CB10 from my Passport
    Can u be little more specific what includes monitor?

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 04:17 AM
    Isnt there anyway to totally cover what we are doing??
    There seems lot of options in wifi advanced settings like hidden SSID and so on...can anybody clear what it is for?

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 07:21 AM
    you would have to setup your own private VPN basically to hide your activity and even then there is no certainty that its completely safe. Best thing is don't do shady crap on other peoples wifi
    PJD642, serbanescu and raino like this.
    02-07-15 07:58 AM
    Isnt there anyway to totally cover what we are doing??
    There seems lot of options in wifi advanced settings like hidden SSID and so on...can anybody clear what it is for?

Posted via CB10
    Those are to "secure" the wifi router.

The Hidden SSID feature allows you to connect to routers which are not openly broadcasting their SSID. All of the wifi encryption only applies to the wireless signal being transmitted from your device to the router. Once the data reaches the router (which is essentially a small Linux computer), the router processes it and redirects it to the outgoing ports.

If the router's owner knows how, they can install custom software that can log all packets being redirected, which device they came from, etc.

What was suggested earlier is to use an encryption protocol between your device and the destination device at the other side of the internet. This has nothing to do with wifi wireless encryption. When using such an "end to end" (or at least your end to a server, such as gmail) encryption, the router can still log all packets being sent, but will not (easily) be able to get any readable data from them.

One way to do this is for all your data transfer is by connecting to the remote destination network using a vpn. Anything being sent via the vpn can't be easily deciphered by all the intermediary nodes (your router, the cable modem, the ISP servers, other servers along the way, etc). (think of it like an opaque tube, you can only see and get the water flowing in/out at each end, any one that holds or looks at the tube somewhere else along the middle will only see the exterior of the tube but won't be able to access the water).

Posted via CB10
    kaleido scope and Aju like this.
    02-07-15 07:58 AM
    aRE YOU DOING ANYTHING AGAINST THE COMPANY POLICY? WHY ARE YOU PARANOID?
    02-07-15 08:04 AM
    He is probably wasting the employer's time by being on the and internet when he should be working.

Details of your BlackBerry activities should be secure, but the duration an frequently on activity on the employer's wifi can definitely be monitored.

Posted via CB10
    Aju likes this.
    02-07-15 08:41 AM
    you would have to setup your own private VPN basically to hide your activity and even then there is no certainty that its completely safe. Best thing is don't do shady crap on other peoples wifi
    Hahaha...I aint doing anything shady...just wasting time when jobless...or when I feel like having some personal convo...just convo in bbm and whatsapp..nothing more than that...but I really dont want my boss to know that I am using BBM or whatsapp...

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 10:18 AM
    He is probably wasting the employer's time by being on the and internet when he should be working.

Details of your BlackBerry activities should be secure, but the duration an frequently on activity on the employer's wifi can definitely be monitored.

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha...u r perfectly right

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 10:18 AM
    Those are to "secure" the wifi router.

The Hidden SSID feature allows you to connect to routers which are not openly broadcasting their SSID. All of the wifi encryption only applies to the wireless signal being transmitted from your device to the router. Once the data reaches the router (which is essentially a small Linux computer), the router processes it and redirects it to the outgoing ports.

If the router's owner knows how, they can install custom software that can log all packets being redirected, which device they came from, etc.

What was suggested earlier is to use an encryption protocol between your device and the destination device at the other side of the internet. This has nothing to do with wifi wireless encryption. When using such an "end to end" (or at least your end to a server, such as gmail) encryption, the router can still log all packets being sent, but will not (easily) be able to get any readable data from them.

One way to do this is for all your data transfer is by connecting to the remote destination network using a vpn. Anything being sent via the vpn can't be easily deciphered by all the intermediary nodes (your router, the cable modem, the ISP servers, other servers along the way, etc). (think of it like an opaque tube, you can only see and get the water flowing in/out at each end, any one that holds or looks at the tube somewhere else along the middle will only see the exterior of the tube but won't be able to access the water).

Posted via CB10
    Thanks a ton for the detailed response

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 10:19 AM