Can someone explain to me what the Smart Card on my Passport is doing? I did look up but am a little hazy on it.

Jaglenn's Passport
    10-11-15 06:29 PM
    Can someone explain to me what the Smart Card on my Passport is doing? I did look up but am a little hazy on it.

What smart card?

SIM card? Memory/flash card? Generally "smart card" refers to a special device designed to verify your identity in high-security environments like government/military.
    10-11-15 09:32 PM
    Oh so the smartcard that shows up on device monitor is my SIM. Thought so. Ok thanks.

Jaglenn's Passport
    10-11-15 09:46 PM
    Oh so the smartcard that shows up on device monitor is my SIM. Thought so. Ok thanks.

Actually the "Smart Card" you see in Device Manager is a small piece of software that runs by default in the background of BB10 to support a smart card, if you use one.

You can see the settings for it in Settings/Security and Privacy/Smart Card
    10-12-15 12:13 AM
    I think it is a smart card reader. As we know, that some highend BlackBerry equipped with that, so can add more security layer for certain command like opening enterprise app or web, or even locks BlackBerry handsset itself if disconnect from smartcard..

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 12:15 AM
    Ok so if a company had a smart card for their employees, they could scan NFC a card or put in a pin to identify themselves. How do I use it?

Jaglenn's Passport
    10-12-15 01:23 AM
    Ok so if a company had a smart card for their employees, they could scan NFC a card or put in a pin to identify themselves. How do I use it?
    Unless you have a smart card (which it sounds like you don't), it's of no use to you.

If you worked at the Pentagon, chances are you would get issued a smart card if you had a security clearance and accessing computer resources was part of your job. If one of those included a BlackBerry BB10 smartphone, in order to use the device (or at least the "work partition" part of the device), you would have to prove your identity with your smart card first.

Smart card readers generally have somewhere to insert the card, and then they might connect to the phone using a USB port, Bluetooth, or NFC.

Make sense now?
    10-12-15 02:55 AM
    Yep! Understood! Thankyou!

Jaglenn's Passport
    Omnitech likes this.
    10-12-15 09:38 AM