I'm new to Blackberry, coming from an Android. I don't know anything about BIS, but everything I've read looks like it's required for data use on any Blackberry.

If I have a (UK) 'normal' data plan, will I be able to use data on the Passport (email and browser) without BIS? I've not seen it mentioned in the Passport literature.
    10-09-14 02:37 PM
    All new BlackBerry phones have abandoned BIS.

A normal data plan is perfectly fine

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    10-09-14 02:39 PM
    No BIS required for BlackBerry 10 smart phones. BIS was only required on the old BB OS

Posted via swift BlackBerry ? Z30!
    10-09-14 02:39 PM
    You no longer need a BIS data plan since BlackBerry 10 phones started being released in early 2013.

That includes the Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Z3 and now the Passport and will include all future BB10 phones and whatever BB10's successor as a mobile operating system is called. BIS is being phased out.

You can use your current data plan with the Passport. The Passport requires a nano-SIM which is the only slight headache for people upgrading from phones that use micro-SIMs, if you're buying it outright off-contract/SIM free that is.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    10-09-14 02:44 PM
    If you happen to be talking to any of your friends who have an older BlackBerry and are bumping up to a BB 10 phone, you can tell them that many people have kept their BIS plans (due, perhaps, to extras grandfathered in) with no ill effects on their BB 10 phone. They won't get the data compression of BIS (which was NICE) but the plan shouldn't hinder the performance of the new phone.

Cheers.
    10-09-14 06:03 PM
    It's the Blackberry way to be accepted again in the operators... "Hey we promise we will not compress data anymore!!! Please accept us back and you can start to charge big bucks for data"
    10-09-14 07:01 PM
    It's the Blackberry way to be accepted again in the operators... "Hey we promise we will not compress data anymore!!! Please accept us back and you can start to charge big bucks for data"
    That's a double edged sword. Uncompressed data=more strain on carrier networks.

--

To answer your question OP: is BIS required for a Passport by BB? No. Is it required by somecarriers? Yes. Lucky for you, none of them are in the UK.
    10-09-14 07:27 PM
    That's a double edged sword. Uncompressed data=more strain on carrier networks.
    Bah. It's up to the carriers to stop creaming profits off in to their pockets and build modern networks that can meet demand. It's not 2004 anymore, the phone manufacturers shouldn't be giving the carriers an easy ride by building private networks to compress data and make up for their lack of investment in infrastructure. The BIS bubble well and truly burst years ago anyway.

NOC compressed data = high latency = more strain on the patience of the average customer.

To answer your question OP: is BIS required for a Passport by BB? No. Is it required by somecarriers? Yes. Lucky for you, none of them are in the UK.
    Some carriers who think they can trick long term and unsuspecting new BlackBerry customers in to paying more for absolutely nothing just because they have a BlackBerry 10 phone.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    10-09-14 08:24 PM