If I'm reading correctly, in order to actually use BB-Protect, you have to leave mobile-data and location-services on all the time and keep your phone locked whenever you are not actively using it. Do I have that right? Isn't location-services a major battery hog?

I really wonder why they didn't implement BB-Protect using encrypted smsg's then it would work even if data services are turned off, it's a back door for pete's sake can't it turn on location services as needed?

Confused, TIA.
    08-28-15 01:29 AM
    Battery is fine. I use Protect an all my BBs.

Posted via PP
    08-28-15 03:28 AM
    you dont have to leave location services on all the time however, if you loose your device when location service is off, you wont be able to get a gps lock on it via the BB Protect site. that doesn't mean other Protect services like remote lock, message etc wont work
    08-28-15 04:29 AM
    So unless you leave these options on all the time, you have to rely on the goodness of whoever stole your phone, you can't hunt them down and take it back?

Location services drains the battery like nobody's business regardless of what Q10Bold thinks. BlackBerry Protect seems like a poorly implemented joke imo, I must not understand something, but I am not used to charging my battery to 100% in the morning and seeing it at 50% mid-afternoon.
    08-28-15 11:52 AM
    Have to agree that locations service is a battery drain.... Those with a Z30 or Passport might not notice it. If your like me and have a Z10.... you'll lose 20% of your battery life to it.
    08-28-15 11:55 AM
    So unless you leave these options on all the time, you have to rely on the goodness of whoever stole your phone, you can't hunt them down and take it back?

Location services drains the battery like nobody's business regardless of what Q10Bold thinks. BlackBerry Protect seems like a poorly implemented joke imo, I must not understand something, but I am not used to charging my battery to 100% in the morning and seeing it at 50% mid-afternoon.
    Location services shouldn't be running at all times... what apps are you using that requires it to be draining your phone all the time??

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-28-15 12:04 PM
    Either I write worse than I thought or you aren't paying attention to what you read. Here, shall I shout?

TO USE BLACKBERRY PROTECT TO LOCATE YOUR STOLEN PHONE YOU MUST LEAVE MOBILE-DATA AND LOCATION-SERVICES ON AT ALL TIMES.

Which is hugely stupid since they could have implemented the feature without requiring that either of those be left on at all times.
    08-28-15 06:10 PM
    Either I write worse than I thought or you aren't paying attention to what you read. Here, shall I shout?

TO USE BLACKBERRY PROTECT TO LOCATE YOUR STOLEN PHONE YOU MUST LEAVE MOBILE-DATA AND LOCATION-SERVICES ON AT ALL TIMES.

Which is hugely stupid since they could have implemented the feature without requiring that either of those be left on at all times.
    Leaving it on doesn't mean it's actively on... You'll see the location icon popup on the top left of your device when it's in use. How do you locate a device without location services? Lol... what they should do is password protect location services at the very least.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-28-15 07:09 PM
    Leaving it on doesn't mean it's actively on... You'll see the location icon popup on the top left of your device when it's in use. How do you locate a device without location services? Lol... what they should do is password protect location services at the very least.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Text messages can be transmitted across the voice-only network.

Encrypted text messages could be used to turn on whatever functions are necessary through the backdoor that BlackBerry Protect is apparently intended to be.
    08-28-15 07:48 PM