I just got my Z30. It is originally on the Bell network but also unlocked. I'm with Bell at the moment but might switch providers when my contract is up, hence the reason for getting an unlocked phone.

I had a few issues transferring stiff over from my Z10 but my Z30 has been working without any issues. All of a sudden this morning my phone is connecting to the Telus network instead of Bell. As a result it's showing emergency only and I can't make a calls.

Any ideas why this is happening and how to correct it?

Posted using my Z30 via CB10
    11-03-14 11:17 AM
    Try setting Network Selection Mode to Manual (in Mobile Network settings).

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 11:31 AM
    Try setting Network Selection Mode to Manual (in Mobile Network settings).

Posted via CB10
    I've don't that and I'm now getting an error code, "MM#6 Phone Not Allowed".

I've checked the Canadian national blacklist and the IMEI isn't in the database.

Posted using my Z30 via CB10
    11-03-14 11:38 AM
    I'm on the line with Bell tech support now. Looks like I was defrauded by the seller. The phone was reported stolen to Bell this morning.
    11-03-14 12:38 PM
    I'm on the line with Bell tech support now. Looks like I was defrauded by the seller. The phone was reported stolen to Bell this morning.
    Yup, this is why I don't suggest purchasing a used phone. The IMEI is often blocked because it's stolen.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    11-03-14 12:40 PM
    Except that the phone has been working fine. The guy who sold it to me waited a week and then reported it stolen. It's a fraud. A bit different that buying a stolen phone.
    11-03-14 12:45 PM
    Scumbags like this annoy me. Why do that to someone when you legitimately sell it?
    11-03-14 01:09 PM
    Except that the phone has been working fine. The guy who sold it to me waited a week and then reported it stolen. It's a fraud. A bit different that buying a stolen phone.
    Could also be that the person from whom it was stolen was unable to report it until now for whatever reason. Though conventional wisdom says that theft should be reported right away, people can get caught up in other matters, or maybe they had no idea that reporting it as stolen would block the IMEI until now.

Of course, it is possible someone really was daft enough to defrad you in such a manner, but this scenario seems far more likely to me - what would a seller have to gain from selling you a legally-obtained phone and then reporting it as stolen?

In any case, this is a pretty unfortunate situation to be in, and I do hope it gets sorted out.
    11-03-14 01:59 PM
    Could also be that the person from whom it was stolen was unable to report it until now for whatever reason. Though conventional wisdom says that theft should be reported right away, people can get caught up in other matters, or maybe they had no idea that reporting it as stolen would block the IMEI until now.

Of course, it is possible someone really was daft enough to defrad you in such a manner, but this scenario seems far more likely to me - what would a seller have to gain from selling you a legally-obtained phone and then reporting it as stolen?

In any case, this is a pretty unfortunate situation to be in, and I do hope it gets sorted out.
    Many carriers in Canada now offer smartphone insurance. So theoretically one could sell the phone on Kijiji and pocket some quick cash. They then report it stolen to the carrier and obtain a new phone courtesy of the insurance.

Not sure if that is what happened here. I just find it odd that if the phone was legitimately stolen the guy I bought it from had all the packaging, the scratch prevention stickers were still on the phone and, the accessories were brand new still sealed in their respective package.

How would one steal phone in they condition? Usually most phones are stolen out of someone's purse, left in an unlocked car or on a counter etc.

Either way looks like I'm SOL. I hope the cops find and charge this guy with possession of stolen property.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    11-03-14 02:25 PM
    Many carriers in Canada now offer smartphone insurance. So theoretically one could sell the phone on Kijiji and pocket some quick cash. They then report it stolen to the carrier and obtain a new phone courtesy of the insurance.

Not sure if that is what happened here. I just find it odd that if the phone was legitimately stolen the guy I bought it from had all the packaging, the scratch prevention stickers were still on the phone and, the accessories were brand new still sealed in their respective package.

How would one steal phone in they condition? Usually most phones are stolen out of someone's purse, left in an unlocked car or on a counter etc.

Either way looks like I'm SOL. I hope the cops find and charge this guy with possession of stolen property.

Ah, I never thought of the insurance scenario, that is a possibility.

As for the packaging, it could be that someone was taking the phone home after buying it and had it stolen then, although that is admittedly a less likely scenario.

But no matter, I hope whoever's responsible is caught and punished accordingly.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 03:55 PM
    I remember you and the thread about how to safeguard against bad used phone deals

One exact week points to premeditation. You wouldn't have any contact information for the seller, would you?
    11-03-14 04:42 PM
    I remember you and the thread about how to safeguard against bad used phone deals

One exact week points to premeditation. You wouldn't have any contact information for the seller, would you?
    Wrote down his license plate!

Looks like it was actually stolen from a store so at least it is legitimately stolen.

11-03-14 06:28 PM
    Wrote down his license plate!

Looks like it was actually stolen from a store so at least it is legitimately stolen.
    Ahh ok. If the store wants to/is pursuing legal action against the thief (assuming the police can be bothered over a $500 phone,) I'm sure the license plate number would be helpful in tracking the guy down. You may not get any restitution, but maybe just some satisfaction if the guy is caught and prosecuted.
    11-03-14 08:15 PM
    Ahh ok. If the store wants to/is pursuing legal action against the thief (assuming the police can be bothered over a $500 phone,) I'm sure the license plate number would be helpful in tracking the guy down. You may not get any restitution, but maybe just some satisfaction if the guy is caught and prosecuted.
    I'll never see my money, unfortunately.

I thought I had covered myself pretty well. I had checked everything very carefully when I met the guy. Including checking the IMEI on the National Blacklist. I even used my SIM to make a call to make sure it wasn't blocked by Bell without having made its way onto the Blacklist.

The thing I can't get over is the one rep from Bell that I spoke to who was so incredibly rude. For absolutely no reason at all. My phone suddenly stopped working and was connecting to Telus. After the post in the other thread I wondered if the phone might have been added to the list after I bought it so I went to the website and the search was negative. So I called Tech Support. Even the customer service rep thought it was strange since I had bought in a box with all the accessories etc. She found out it was on Bell's internal blacklist, but thought it was maybe a mistake.

The tech support rep transferred me to some rep in their prevention department who was easily one of the rudest people I have ever spoken to. The guy came on the line without even identifying himself and just started barking at me. Way to alienate a customer Bell Mobility. Obviously if the phone had been reported stolen I realize they won't be able to do much for me, but I had purchased the phone in good faith and had been using it for a week. It wasn't on the National Blacklist. How am I supposed to know it has been reported stolen? I see no reason why the rep could not have just politely said that it was on the list because it had been reported stolen and therefore it couldn't be used.

Instead the rep barked a bunch of questions at me that made no sense. He then proceeded interrogated me about things that I had never told him, such as the fact that I had bought the phone from Telus... No idea where he got that from. He even then went on to imply that I might be involved in the theft. And that of course makes sense because criminal regularly call tech support when the items they steal stop working...

The rep didn't even bother to tell me what he would like me to do with the stolen phone. Turn it over to the Police or bring it to one of their stores etc. You'd think that might be important. What a *****.
    11-03-14 08:49 PM
    The tech support rep transferred me to some rep in their prevention department who was easily one of the rudest people I have ever spoken to.
    Maybe there's a reason he's working loss prevention and not customer service My guess is, he probably doesn't have a whole lot of interaction with customers. Doesn't discount rudeness though. I've spoken with "higher up" tech support--engineers and all--and while they may be abrupt and...overly to the point, none of them have behaved to the level of rudeness you've described.
    11-03-14 09:03 PM
    Maybe there's a reason he's working loss prevention and not customer service My guess is, he probably doesn't have a whole lot of interaction with customers. Doesn't discount rudeness though. I've spoken with "higher up" tech support--engineers and all--and while they may be abrupt and...overly to the point, none of them have behaved to the level of rudeness you've described.
    I was shocked. I've never had intentionally rude reps like that. Some reps are better than other but usually not intentionally rude. Perhaps he thought he was a cop.

11-03-14 09:28 PM