01-23-15 08:50 AM
31 12
tools
    Doc hooked up an impromptu meeting ID and my Z10 loaded up right away. Launched right up into Meetings from BBM. We were unable to get any sort of screen annotation via Meetings. Apps like Reader have their built in stuff. It worked pretty well except for some poor wifi where I was standing and my battery dying. It did give me enough time to end the call as it went through the "Turning off device" bit, lol.

BBM Meetings MIGHT be Zoom Meetings underneath. Not sure about that, but it seems too similar. All I can say is it's a very competitive market right now between Zoom, Adobe Connect, and probably a dozen others doing this. The BBM integration appears to be top notch though, and it should be mentioned that it's phones-first here. No official tablet versions for iPad or Android. You can run the scaled up phone version, but I'm not sure how well presenting would work from a pad.

I could see a lot of people joining from their laptop, and joining from their phone to use as a camera. This plus the charging dock stand would be awesome.

Sometime soon we'll get a demo meeting scheduled and put the ID here to see if we can fill it up. I think the BBM Meetings desktop apps are a crucial part of this. Even though there's some limited capabilities in mobile, I think the way it's structured, it's more ad-hoc meetings and covers more scenarios.

Another thing I caught: driving mode. You can join a meeting, tap the screen and swipe over to get to where you toggle driving mode. Hitting it switches video off and mutes yourself, so you can stay on your meeting without bugging everyone with the flick of a button.
    DocDRM likes this.
    12-30-14 09:21 AM
    Good recap.

Regarding annotation, it works great from PC, but I fired-up this meeting from my Passport and couldn't find any way to activate annotations while screen sharing.

Posted via CB10, Mostly from my Passport, occasionally my Z30
    12-30-14 09:55 AM
    I'm dying to try it out

Signed up for a free trial day one, but nothing worked out, went to activate and add the special code, but the page was never found

Too bad, because I chair the IT committee for the Grape Growers of Ontario and am trying to get this setup there as a trial due to membership being spread across Ontario and the CEO is considering another option.

It's a shame that it wasn't rolled out better, even I would pay for the month for a trial, but I don't feel like paying $200 for the year without trying first

Anyone else have suggestions?

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 07:12 PM
    I think we could get some demo meeting codes if people would be interested in joining sometime this week to check it out. There are a few members who have thrown down for Meetings, and since the invites haven't started going out yet for the trial, this is the best way to get some time hands on with it.

From what I've seen so far, it's pretty darn good.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 07:33 PM
    Steve - review this thread and join Kevets' BBM channel C00174684. When he gathers a few willing participants, I will send out invites and host a meeting. I will pass Host to each participant that wants to try it as host, and each participant can record the meeting for review/sharing with boss, etc. If you'd like to do a quick one on one demo meeting, PM me here so we can exchange PINs, plan via BBM then fire a meeting up (PINs not required to participate in meeting BTW, just my preference for chatting).

Ya'll need to give your email address or your BB pin to Kevets over on his channel, as I'd ask him to consolidate all that then pass it to me to set up the meeting/send invites.

I'd like to do the meeting Thursday morning, 1/8/15 at about 8:45am Central time, if that's acceptable. Kevets?
    01-04-15 08:12 PM
    Thanks Doc

I will check it out

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 08:50 AM
31 12