I'm an unlucky happy owner of a BB Classic. Seeing the impossibility to use many apps in the next future (e.g Whatsapp), I need to switch to a new phone. I love the physical keyboard so I'm undecided between BB Priv and the new Keyone. I've read many comparisons but I didn't get which will be the best. The cost, of course, will led me to the Priv, but I don't know if is smart prefer a phone that is 2 years old.
    Thank you for your help!
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    03-14-17 04:06 AM
    Priv is more like 14 months old, not 2 years.
    It really boils down to which form factor you prefer. Neither one is best across the board. The display on the Priv is far superior to the K1, but the K1 has the always there keyboard.
    If you've read the comparisons, I won't rehash everything.
    One thing that doesn't get mentioned often is that the Priv had a lot of QC issues, mostly with the early devices, not many complaints with the later units. The K1 is a complete unknown, but Alcatel is a reliable manufacturer, and this isn't their first PKB device either, so one would hope no problems there.

Personaly, I'd go with the Priv, I love mine, and you'd find it hard to make me give up that big beautiful screen. But that doesn't mean it's right for you.
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    03-14-17 04:55 AM
    Priv is more like 14 months old, not 2 years.
    It really boils down to which form factor you prefer. Neither one is best across the board. The display on the Priv is far superior to the K1, but the K1 has the always there keyboard.
    If you've read the comparisons, I won't rehash everything.
    One thing that doesn't get mentioned often is that the Priv had a lot of QC issues, mostly with the early devices, not many complaints with the later units. The K1 is a complete unknown, but Alcatel is a reliable manufacturer, and this isn't their first PKB device either, so one would hope no problems there.

Personaly, I'd go with the Priv, I love mine, and you'd find it hard to make me give up that big beautiful screen. But that doesn't mean it's right for you.
    Thanks for the support/love for Priv!

by the way, it's TCL who manufactured the KEYone, not Alcatel.
    03-16-17 10:16 AM
    For the price the PRIV is a better deal as it can be found for a few hundred dollars less.

I think it really comes down to do you want a full time PKB or a part time one.
    03-16-17 11:14 AM
    by the way, it's TCL who manufactured the KEYone, not Alcatel.
    Opps - I knew that, wonder why I said Alcatel?
    Also appears I got them making PKB phones in the past mixed up with Alcatel. I don't think TCL has ever built a PKB phone.
    03-16-17 03:17 PM
    Opps - I knew that, wonder why I said Alcatel?
    Also appears I got them making PKB phones in the past mixed up with Alcatel. I don't think TCL has ever built a PKB phone.
    Alcatel is a division of TCL... really just for branding purposes. I expect the same TCL factory builds the TCL, Alcatel and BlackBerry hardware.
    03-16-17 03:50 PM
    I'm a little torn now. The new Priv sale is enticing. But the logic side of my brain says to hold off for the K1.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.3.2163 / Telus
    03-16-17 03:53 PM
    Alcatel is a division of TCL
    Ya'll and my mess up got me curious.
    For short period of time TLC owned 55% of Alcatel Mobile, they now own 10%, or therabouts.
    From Wikipedia, should be fairly accurate.

In April 2004, TCL and Alcatel announced the creation of a mobile phone manufacturing joint venture: Alcatel Mobile Phones.[7] TCL injected 55 million euros in the venture in return for a 55 per cent shareholding.[7]
    In May 2005, TCL announced that its Hong Kong-listed unit would acquire Alcatel's 45 per cent stake in their mobile-phone joint venture for consideration of HK$63.34 million ($8.1 million) worth of TCL Communication shares.[9]
    In June 2007, TCL announced that its mobile phone division planned to cease using the Alcatel brand and switch entirely to the TCL brand within five years.
    03-16-17 05:54 PM