I have been backing up my Z10 (STL100-3) running 10.3.2.556 (10.3.2.858) with BBLink 1.2.4.39 on a regular basis. Recently, I removed my workspace since my employer stopped supporting BB10 devices a couple of months ago. Since the removal of the workspace, I am unable to make a backup of the Z10. After a minute or two, I get the message: Backup did not complete. Verify that your device is turned on and connected to BlackBerry Link, and try again.
    Well, of course my device is connected because I just synced the contacts to Outlook and it worked.

I did generate logs on both the device and the computer. Looking at desktop.log in the .zip file generated on the computer, I see errors:

12:55:32.749|ERROR|42|Rim.Desktop.Services.Device| 0|[Rim:esktop::Services::QNXDevice::BackupRestore::QNXBac kupRestoreDeviceService::GetDeviceCategories] GetDeviceCategories - an error occured during GetCategories - Device not reporting Ready - Status: Error
    Error: - Error ID: 2
    - Description: Error.
    Backup ID:

12:55:32.749|ERROR|42|Rim.Desktop.BackupRestore|0| Load content exception: BackupRestore detail error = DeviceErrorInvalidProtocol, message: Error during Backup or Restore - Impossible to retreive the list of categories from the device
    12:55:32.750|ERROR|42|Rim.Desktop.BackupRestore|0| Failed to fetch database list from device..
    12:55:32.763|DEBUG|1|Rim.Desktop.Shell|0|MainWindo w ViewModel switching:
    [Type: [Rim.Desktop.Common.ViewModel.BlockingDeviceProgres sContentViewModel]] -->
    [Type: [Rim.Desktop.BackupRestore.ViewModel.BackupOperatio nPageViewModel]]
    12:55:32.764|INFO |42|Rim.Desktop.BackupRestore|0|Setting the last backup time.
    12:55:32.766|INFO |42|Rim.Desktop.Services.Configuration|0|Lock - Saving configuration. Path: C:\Users\Pierre\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry 10 Desktop\Settings.config.
    12:55:32.804|INFO |42|Rim.Desktop.BackupRestore|0|Backup for Device (PIN:0x2AB1DDF3) work item is finished.
    12:55:32.805|INFO |42|Rim.Desktop.Shell|0|An notification message added. Title: Backup did not complete
    12:55:32.805|DEBUG|42|Rim.Desktop.Shell|0|Notifica tion Message: Verify that your device is turned on and connected to BlackBerry Link, and try again.

Apparently this problem is related to KB36433 but my scenario is not covered in the scenarios described since my problems occurs AFTER the workspace is removed. However I have the distinct feeling something was removed incompletely or incorrectly and causes the issue. But no idea how to get around it.

Any suggestions? I want to make a backup before I install 10.3.3.x.

Thanks.

Pierre
    01-16-17 03:33 PM
    I have been backing up my Z10 (STL100-3) running 10.3.2.556 (10.3.2.858) with BBLink 1.2.4.39 on a regular basis. Recently, I removed my workspace since my employer stopped supporting BB10 devices a couple of months ago. Since the removal of the workspace, I am unable to make a backup of the Z10. After a minute or two, I get the message: Backup did not complete. Verify that your device is turned on and connected to BlackBerry Link, and try again.
    Well, of course my device is connected because I just synced the contacts to Outlook and it worked.

I did generate logs on both the device and the computer. Looking at desktop.log in the .zip file generated on the computer, I see errors:

12:55:32.749|ERROR|42|Rim.Desktop.Services.Device| 0|[Rim:esktop::Services::QNXDevice::BackupRestore::QNXBac kupRestoreDeviceService::GetDeviceCategories] GetDeviceCategories - an error occured during GetCategories - Device not reporting Ready - Status: Error
    Error: - Error ID: 2
    - Description: Error.
    Backup ID:

12:55:32.749|ERROR|42|Rim.Desktop.BackupRestore|0| Load content exception: BackupRestore detail error = DeviceErrorInvalidProtocol, message: Error during Backup or Restore - Impossible to retreive the list of categories from the device
    12:55:32.750|ERROR|42|Rim.Desktop.BackupRestore|0| Failed to fetch database list from device..
    12:55:32.763|DEBUG|1|Rim.Desktop.Shell|0|MainWindo w ViewModel switching:
    [Type: [Rim.Desktop.Common.ViewModel.BlockingDeviceProgres sContentViewModel]] -->
    [Type: [Rim.Desktop.BackupRestore.ViewModel.BackupOperatio nPageViewModel]]
    12:55:32.764|INFO |42|Rim.Desktop.BackupRestore|0|Setting the last backup time.
    12:55:32.766|INFO |42|Rim.Desktop.Services.Configuration|0|Lock - Saving configuration. Path: C:\Users\Pierre\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry 10 Desktop\Settings.config.
    12:55:32.804|INFO |42|Rim.Desktop.BackupRestore|0|Backup for Device (PIN:0x2AB1DDF3) work item is finished.
    12:55:32.805|INFO |42|Rim.Desktop.Shell|0|An notification message added. Title: Backup did not complete
    12:55:32.805|DEBUG|42|Rim.Desktop.Shell|0|Notifica tion Message: Verify that your device is turned on and connected to BlackBerry Link, and try again.

Apparently this problem is related to KB36433 but my scenario is not covered in the scenarios described since my problems occurs AFTER the workspace is removed. However I have the distinct feeling something was removed incompletely or incorrectly and causes the issue. But no idea how to get around it.

Any suggestions? I want to make a backup before I install 10.3.3.x.

Thanks.

Pierre
    Try backing up in parts and not a full backup
    02-20-17 11:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD