Thinking of upgrading but all my relatives suggest going to Samsung but I'm leaning towards a Priv but would really appreciate comments. I use for both personal and professional services. Thanks
    03-10-16 10:22 PM
    I am not a completely happy camper with my Priv so far, which I recently purchased. I am hoping to get it exchanged with a replacement because it feels like a lemon. Let me tell you what are my qualms with it.

1. Compared to the Z10 it is a far cry in terms of everything linked together in the hub. If you have contacts on the Z10 that are based on LinkedIn or Facebook syncs, they will not transfer. Only contacts that are saved locally on the phone will transfer. Priv hub does not integrate facebook or LinkedIn contacts or events into your address book or calendar. Contacts that are in multiple accounts cannot be integrated/linked as you can in BB10. Also have been having issues with academic email setup if it's EAS.

2. It gets hot, both the phone and default charger. Now when you run apps on the phone, for example chrome, each tab runs independently and have to be closed individually on the running apps page, so you no longer have embedded tabs like in BlackBerry browser. Being on the Internet is warming of the hands at least. Using the physical keyboard may help open up the phone to disburse heat which otherwise is sealed up, can you imagine with a case or cover. It does have a hot spot near the blackberry logo on the back.

3. Bluetooth audio sync with a car does not have the quality of the Z10. During calls, it was discovered that both the in-car and phone mics were both on, giving an echo sound. Also call quality was diminished while talking to people with iPhone but was normal with android and Windows phone users.

4. It is a slight learning curve if you want to integrate the physical keyboard into your productivity if you got used to a purely touch screen experience. You can assign keys for quick shortcuts to apps and making a new contact, etc. I am 80/20 so far I'm using the touch and physical keyboards. Scrolling with the keyboard is also very nice but the letter size and spacing is pretty cramped for efficient typing. A nice feature is the predictive swiping based on three related words using the physical keyboard.

Now that I have vented my frustration the great things are:

1. The main camera is divine, second only to the LG V10. Great shots and some limited manual camera adjustments are available. Video is great as well. Not a selfie person so the front facing camera doesnot don't much for me.

2. The display has one of the highest PPI for a phone right now and has great depth and color. You can watch 1440p and your phone looks like a window to a new world. The speaker is OK but the included headphones are nice with the equalizer included with Google play music.

3.The only place where the PRIV beats the Z10 (kinda) is with the Google play store. I have a 2013 Nexus 7 with plenty of apps but no data plan so it's use was constrained with WiFi. It's nice to be able to use them on the phone without compromises such as Drive and Scholar.

4. The edge tab is interesting because it reminds me of the quick gestures on the z10 to glance at updates. It is available I believe anytime.

5. The hub swipe is identical to getting to the hub in z10. It doesn't wake up the screen unfortunately lol.

These are my reflections on my impressions of the phone. If the negative things persist on a second Priv I may defect to a V10, S7 edge, or just stick with the Z10. Hope they help!
    03-12-16 12:24 AM
    Does the BlackBerry Link work with the Priv? Have you found work around regarding heating problem ; for example noticed that the phone uses more services than needed? I'm close to pulling the trigger on ordering a Priv.

Is there a device monitor like what's found on the BlackBerry OS10?

Thanks.

Edit: does the Priv come with similar App like Reminder?

Z30STA100-5/OS Ver10.3.2.2876/ SR 10.3.2.2836
    Last edited by IAM013; 03-13-16 at 06:42 AM.
    03-12-16 06:15 AM
    Blackberry Link does not work for the Priv. I tried to install the other Blackberry device manager but it doesn't work well for me in Windows 10 but Android File Transfer works fine if you need to migrate files if you need to. If you need to back up stuff you could always try using Google drive.

So most of the heat I experienced was due to massive updates to the Blackberry services. However watching Youtube or browsing multiple websites makes it very warm on the back for obvious reasons lol. But it's now starting to behave a lot better! So if you get it, give it a couple of days to balance itself out. Right now battery life is amazing, Bluetooth now works in the car as it should, and you have to bend a little and get different apps for things that don't work on the BBHub. For example, I had to get the Outlook app for Android because my emails wouldn't work on BBHub. So I have to now practice the Android mantra of "There's an app for that" until BBHub has more versatility.

There is the Blackberry Virtual Expert, which works the same way as the one in BB10 but there are similar apps to check out in the Google Play Store that work as good.
    Last edited by PhysixDude; 03-13-16 at 07:29 PM.
    03-13-16 07:12 PM
    I have been using a Samsung edge for 3 weeks along with my Z10 now going on 3 years. I don't use all the features of a BlackBerry. I have found the edge a very easy transition from Z10. So to answer your question. Depends on what you want. I am a novice user of apps. So it's a good change over for me. As far as the Priv. Too much stuff I would never use.
    03-13-16 07:26 PM
    Blackberry Link does not work for the Priv. I tried to install the other Blackberry device manager but it doesn't work well for me in Windows 10 but Android File Transfer works fine if you need to migrate files if you need to. If you need to back up stuff you could always try using Google drive.

So most of the heat I experienced was due to massive updates to the Blackberry services. However watching Youtube or browsing multiple websites makes it very warm on the back for obvious reasons lol. But it's now starting to behave a lot better! So if you get it, give it a couple of days to balance itself out. Right now battery life is amazing, Bluetooth now works in the car as it should, and you have to bend a little and get different apps for things that don't work on the BBHub. For example, I had to get the Outlook app for Android because my emails wouldn't work on BBHub. So I have to now practice the Android mantra of "There's an app for that" until BBHub has more versatility.

There is the Blackberry Virtual Expert, which works the same way as the one in BB10 but there are similar apps to check out in the Google Play Store that work as good.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep all what you said in mind. All platforms have their quirks so, it boils down to what is it that I need and then want in a device. Thus I've decided, I just ordered the Priv and I believe this will be a positive experience.

03-13-16 11:00 PM
    For an update of my experience look for my post "My Priv is no longer a lemon" which has updates on the issues and their resolution along with tips and tricks to make the transition as painless as possible.

Hope you enjoy it. It's become a multitasking monster for me. When you get too many apps, you can assign your pkb letters to access them wherever you are in the phone (unless you're typing). It's been a blessing lol. Also explore icon packs.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-14-16 09:59 AM
    Thanks for your post. I found it useful. Now, I must play the waiting game for me new Priv.

03-14-16 11:22 AM