04-23-16 09:12 AM
31 12
tools
    It looks like the dialing keypad for Google Voice isn't available from the BlackBerry browser anymore and the 3rd party browsers I've tried that can access it no longer dial initiate the call from the browser, they have the Google Voice service call the phone.

When the browser initiated the call, it would have your phone call GV's designated number for that contact which I would then store in my address book as their 'Other' number. Then, I could call them using my GV number directly from my BlackBerry's contact list or phone app.

Now, the only way to get that number will be to receive a text from them.

Has anyone else figured out anymore workarounds since this change in behavior? (A colleague has a post on a Google board, but I thought I'd try here.)

Posted via CB10
    peregrineay likes this.
    02-21-15 11:40 PM
    No solutions here but sure could use one. Google Voice is my business call from home function. Loved the keypad function and miss it heartily.
    02-23-15 12:47 PM
    I can still dial from the browser - it just looks different now. You put the number you want to dial in and hit dial, then it will call your phone and connect you to the number you are dialing.
    02-23-15 12:56 PM
    I put the number I want to call in the box at the bottom of the mobile site and press 'Call' but it doesn't call. I also can't play voice mails. Is that just me or is this an issue for others?

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 12:23 PM
    now I haven't been able to play the voicemails - I just noticed that but even those voicemails are on my phone voicemail box too so i don't need to go to the site to listen to them.
    02-24-15 12:31 PM
    What is the site address?

College Valedictorian.. I.T. Pro... Swiped from the AMAZING Zed30 on. 10.3.1.1154 on ATT.. SoFlo... #LexusBoys #TeamVossen ...... #TeamVySol
    02-24-15 10:02 PM
    google.com/voice
    02-25-15 10:18 AM
    I'm assuming you are using a BB10 device. If so, I use BlaCaDa for calls and have also installed the Android Google Voice app for text messages. Also, if you do exchange regular text messages with some numbers, you can store the number GV shows as the sending number. Calling and sending text to that number will send to your contact.

Hope that makes sense and helps.
    02-25-15 10:57 AM
    Thanks hodula1. That does help. But those are a lot of work-arounds for things we use to do on the mobile website. Why did we suddenly get demoted to the legacy mobile site then get shut out almost completely? I am able to pull up the HTML5 site in the Lastpass browser. Does one of the native browsers let you spoof the user-agent?
    rthonpm likes this.
    02-25-15 06:33 PM
    B/c Google voice is transitioning to Google HangOuts....

College Valedictorian.. I.T. Pro... Swiped from the AMAZING Zed30 on. 10.3.1.1154 on ATT.. SoFlo... #LexusBoys #TeamVossen ...... #TeamVySol
    02-25-15 09:49 PM
    Well, this might turn me into a social pariah around here, but I must say that as much as I love the actual site, this thread is the perfect example of what I find frustrating about the forums. (I typically view from the app. Is there some threaded view that might make the repetitive and unrelated replies appear more relevant?)

@blueyestm - I'm not sure how to reply to your post, because it pretty much repeats exactly what I described as the change in behavior and ignored what I was trying to work around.

@hodula1 - Am I wrong in understanding how BlaCaDa works? It seems to just automatically call Google Voice's access number and input the number you're calling for you. I'm not sure how it helps get the shadow number from Google Voice. And you're right about getting the shadow number from exchanging texts... that's what I said in my original post as the only way you can get that number now.

We were able to, at least figure out some of the 'official' terms Google uses, which might make finding things out easier. It'll, at least, make discussing it easier. The numbers that Google Voice 'dials' to access the number you're trying to call are called 'shadow numbers.' The functionality lost in the browser is 'Click2Dial,' or at least that's what it was called in the Google Voice app. Instead of the Google Voice service calling your phone and connecting you, the web browser used to activate the phone app directly from your phone. (Then, you had the shadow number in your call log as well as then being able to find out that shadow number for landlines and business lines... lines that can't text you.)

The Click2Dial seems to be the key. Although, I might give BlaCaDa a try because, at least it returns the ability to (sort of) dial from the Contacts list.‎

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 12:17 AM
    @workerb - I don't think it's a user agent issue. I think it's an engine issue. The Android Firefox browser, and a couple of other Gecko-based browsers we've tried, will bring up the keypad. But, using a browser that can change its user agent still won't pull it up.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 12:45 AM
    So I just tested something... I downloaded Firefox from snap.. I was able to then finally navigate to google.com/voice it brought up the HTML5 Dialer. I was able to dial from the dialer and it did trigger an in coming call from the Google access # and then the # I dialed started ringing

EDIT:
    So I just called my GV # from my office phone and it still goes to my phone like normal

Last edited by indie_b; 02-26-15 at 08:37 AM.
    02-26-15 06:42 AM

@hodula1 - Am I wrong in understanding how BlaCaDa works? It seems to just automatically call Google Voice's access number and input the number you're calling for you. I'm not sure how it helps get the shadow number from Google Voice. And you're right about getting the shadow number from exchanging texts... that's what I said in my original post as the only way you can get that number now.

Posted via CB10
    Apologies. I was reading this thread on my phone and apparently missed you talking about saving shadow numbers.

You are also correct in how BlaCaDa works. It just saves you the trouble of having to input the numbers. Seems to be of the few ways I know of that still works because it doesn't rely on Google's API.
    02-26-15 09:57 AM
    Apologies. I was reading this thread on my phone and apparently missed you talking about saving shadow numbers.

You are also correct in how BlaCaDa works. It just saves you the trouble of having to input the numbers. Seems to be of the few ways I know of that still works because it doesn't rely on Google's API.
    Actually, having used BlaCaDa a few times now, we can sort of make our own "shadow numbers" since it uses your BlackBerry's dialer. For anyone unfamiliar, BlaCaDa doesn't call within it's own app. It automates the key presses necessary to call Google Voice, input your PIN, select the option to make a call, and then input the number you want to dial. It includes all of the pauses needed to make it through the menu prompts without having to do anything yourself. And since it's using BlackBerry's dialer, you can save the (incredibly long) string it uses to do that in your contact list, just as we previously did with Google Voice's shadow numbers.

It's a bit clunky because each time you're going to have to listen to the menu prompts for your call, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks for pointing out BlaCaDa and I apologize if I seemed a little rude. I posted late, woke up the next morning to no responses. Worked a little and had no responses. Then checked again, saw quite a few, got excited and then, as usual, started to realize that some people didn't even seem to read my post. Thanks for posting your dialing workaround. Hopefully we don't have to do this for very long.

So I just tested something... I downloaded Firefox from snap.. I was able to then finally navigate to google.com/voice it brought up the HTML5 Dialer. I was able to dial from the dialer and it did trigger an in coming call from the Google access # and then the # I dialed started ringing

EDIT:
    So I just called my GV # from my office phone and it still goes to my phone like normal
    You can do the same thing from the site you're getting on the BlackBerry browser. The only difference is that you have to use your keys to type the number into the little text box. Yes, the BlackBerry browser no longer shows the keypad... but it's the procedure that has changed. I could never get "paste" to work in the keypad. You can at least paste into the legacy site we get directed to now.
    02-26-15 11:11 AM
    Check the thread about Gvdial. I think author said Google changed behaviour months ago and hasn't found how to reverse engineer the changes.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 03:04 PM

You can do the same thing from the site you're getting on the BlackBerry browser. The only difference is that you have to use your keys to type the number into the little text box. Yes, the BlackBerry browser no longer shows the keypad... but it's the procedure that has changed. I could never get "paste" to work in the keypad. You can at least paste into the legacy site we get directed to now.
    It unfortunately wasn't invoking the call back to my phone for me from the BlackBerry browser with the text box entry, which is why tried Firefox

02-26-15 05:05 PM
    To anyone interested in a workaround, swap out the variables in this string and save it as an additional entry for your contact:

GVpPIN#ppp2pCONTACT#

...where...

GV = your Google Voice number
    PIN = your Google Voice pin
    CONTACT = the phone number you're saving

So if my Google Voice number is (212) 555-1234, my PIN is 5678, and the contact's number is (888) 555-9000 it would look like this:

2125551234p5678#ppp2p8885559000#

This is what BlaCaDa is dialing if you use that app, but you can save these numbers yourself. You're still dialing into your Google Voice account and waiting on the prompts, but at least it's automated and your Google Voice number will appear to the person you're calling.

Posted via CB10
    BCITMike likes this.
    02-27-15 11:31 PM
    To anyone interested in a workaround, swap out the variables in this string and save it as an additional entry for your contact:

GVpPIN#ppp2pCONTACT#

...where...

GV = your Google Voice number
    PIN = your Google Voice pin
    CONTACT = the phone number you're saving

So if my Google Voice number is (212) 555-1234, my PIN is 5678, and the contact's number is (888) 555-9000 it would look like this:

2125551234p5678#ppp2p8885559000#

This is what BlaCaDa is dialing if you use that app, but you can save these numbers yourself. You're still dialing into your Google Voice account and waiting on the prompts, but at least it's automated and your Google Voice number will appear to the person you're calling.

Posted via CB10
    Good post.

And you can also save GVpPIN#ppp2 to dial numbers not in your contacts. You will dial the number once prompted.

Or you could get BlaCaDa and support a BlackBerry developer

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with BlaCaDa or even know who the developer is.
    02-28-15 12:17 AM
    No, you're right. Try out BlaCaDa.

Even though we can bypass what it's doing and do it on our own, it does make the process much easier that first time around. I just got done dialing a number using it. Then, I saved that number under the contact.

But, technically 'my' workaround is really the developer of BlaCaDa's workaround. And they even created an interface to implement the idea they came up with. So, if you like the workaround, throw some support to them.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 02:44 PM
    Went to the mobile GV site again the other day and most of the functionality is back for me. Everything except listening to voicemails. Also, it is still not the HTML5 site with the dialer. But I've since figured out how to set up BlaDaCa. Doesn't make complete sense but it works. I like that it has a listing on the Share menu so I can call, from my GV number, any digits that are recognized as a phone number. Would love if they had a call log and possibly a texting option.
    Last edited by workerb; 03-10-15 at 11:59 PM. Reason: punctuation
    03-10-15 11:57 PM
    I just found this native app on blackberry world

Check out qgvdial: A native Qt5 client for Google Voice in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59936590

Passport running on 10.3.1.2480
    03-11-15 11:29 AM
    I've used qgvdial in the past and it was fine. I just reinstalled it and there are a lot of nice, new features. Like being able to text or call, view not just the inbox but all queues, including voicemail, and also search contacts. The updated interface is great too. But I can't search my company's Exchange contacts on my phone and there are a lot of contacts in my list that have no name. I think they are in my addressbook by company and not individual. But I'll keep it on my phone as my second choice for calling, first for texting.
    03-11-15 07:22 PM
    I wondered why qvdial had a bunch of blank entries in the Contacts list. Not all of them had pictures so it didn't click that those were all contacts that only had business names as opposed to first and last names. Thanks.

To be clear, though, no one is still able to use the 'Click2Call' functionality from the browser, right? Voice is still making the call to your BlackBerry, you answer, and then your call is completed. That's what is still happening for me with the website and using qvdial.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 12:15 AM
    To be clear, though, no one is still able to use the 'Click2Call' functionality from the browser, right? Voice is still making the call to your BlackBerry, you answer, and then your call is completed. That's what is still happening for me with the website and using qvdial.

Posted via CB10
    Same here

03-14-15 09:32 AM
31 12