I apologize if this is repeating a common question, I'm new to BB10. There is a heavy android folder resting in misc. I don't plan to install anything from Play Store and would like to get rid of those android files. My guess is they come pre-installed and will reappear after deletion. Do I just ignore them or is there a way to wipe them?
    01-15-17 12:22 AM
    I apologize if this is repeating a common question, I'm new to BB10. There is a heavy android folder resting in misc. I don't plan to install anything from Play Store and would like to get rid of those android files. My guess is they come pre-installed and will reappear after deletion. Do I just ignore them or is there a way to wipe them?
    How heavy is "heavy"? I have seven Android apps, including Cobalt's Google Play Store and requisite files, and mine comes in at just under half a gigabyte. Keep in mind all your data is duplicated into the Android folder inside Misc, so anything that happens on the Android side doesn't actually touch your data on your BB10 device. Meaning you can delete all personal data such as photos and downloads inside the Android folder, and any Android app installed wouldn't be able to see it even though your folders in File manager are in actuality intact outside Misc.

Android folder in BB10-img_20170115_012115.png
    01-15-17 01:27 AM
    How heavy is "heavy"? I have seven Android apps, including Cobalt's Google Play Store and requisite files, and mine comes in at just under half a gigabyte. Keep in mind all your data is duplicated into the Android folder inside Misc, so anything that happens on the Android side doesn't actually touch your data on your BB10 device. Meaning you can delete all personal data such as photos and downloads inside the Android folder, and any Android app installed wouldn't be able to see it even though your folders in File manager are in actuality intact outside Misc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170115_012115.png 
Views:	173 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	415865
    3GB. Inside this android folder all those other folders have nothing in them. Couple wallpapers that I use, that's it. Maybe some hidden system files here?
    Android folder in BB10-img_20170115_103226.png
    Android folder in BB10-img_20170115_103239.png

 z30
    01-15-17 02:36 AM
    3GB. Inside this android folder all those other folders have nothing in them. Couple wallpapers that I use, that's it. Maybe some hidden system files here?

Name:	IMG_20170115_103226.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	415870

Name:	IMG_20170115_103239.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	415871

 z30
    Check properties of DCIM/Camera.
    01-15-17 02:51 AM
    Check properties of DCIM/Camera.
    131kb

 z30
    01-15-17 03:05 AM
    It's a new device. Couple days in use. Nothing's been transferred to it.

 z30
    01-15-17 03:07 AM
    What's the rest of your storage situation look like outside of the Misc folder?
    01-15-17 03:26 AM
    What's the rest of your storage situation look like outside of the Misc folder?
    My only data are on SD card. 2Gb in Audio books, 500Mb of music. 800mb in Podcasts. It's around 3Gb actually (which is the size of that android folder). On device there is nothing. Could it be that those data get copied to Android folder somehow?

 Z30
    01-15-17 04:15 AM
    That's most likely the case, but I'm not clear on why there's apparently nothing in obvious places. For instance your podcasts and music folders are empty.
    01-15-17 04:28 AM
    That's most likely the case, but I'm not clear on why there's apparently nothing in obvious places. For instance your podcasts and music folders are empty.
    Thanks for your replies. I'll see how it goes with more music and pics added.

 Z30
    01-15-17 04:34 AM
    Could it be that those data get copied to Android folder somehow?

 Z30
    The files aren't copied to the Android folder. The Android folder uses symbolic links to the locations on the device that contain the same name so really the android/Music folder is just a shortcut to the folder of the same name in the regular file system. This is how Android apps are able to interact with files stored outside of the runtime.

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 and PantherBlitz like this.
    01-15-17 11:30 AM
    The files aren't copied to the Android folder. The Android folder uses symbolic links to the locations on the device that contain the same name so really the android/Music folder is just a shortcut to the folder of the same name in the regular file system. This is how Android apps are able to interact with files stored outside of the runtime.

Posted via CB10
    Which also means don't delete them, as that deletes the originals as well.
    brookie229 likes this.
    01-15-17 12:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    There should be folders and files to represent those of that case, that's what I'm not seeing here
    01-15-17 03:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand the "inside the runtime - outside the runtime" stuff, but that was my guess - somehow that Android folder is wired into the bb10. As I mentioned, I don't plan to install anything from Android store. But, well.. if that's the way it's supposed to work I'm OK with that folder. I'm glad it's just a symbolic link and not a real duplicate of all my data. Thank you.

 Z30
    01-16-17 11:07 AM
    BB10 can run Android apps, and some apps in BlackBerry World are Android ports. Since Android uses a different logical structure than BB10 there needs to be a way for the Android portion of the device to access information on the rest of the device. That's what I mean by in and out of the runtime: without those symbolic links any app ported from Android (or directly installed Android app) would only be able to see data installed by other apps of the same kind. By having the links, even files used by native apps can be accessed by an Android app.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-17 05:22 PM